1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

hey, can you tell me please..

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by healthytalk, Mar 27, 2010.

1. TooMaxi

TooMaxi Peon

Best Answers:
    I still love Font Page 2003 & NotePad++ for Basic to edit my code (html, php) as they are fast and easy to use. But for the advanced designs with css and more, Dreamweaver is the best. Of course to have a better look and feel, you should use Adobe Photoshop. I love joomla for CMS. A lot of valued modules and components are available for free.

TooMaxi, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  2. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Some (many / any) professional web developers might get angry reading that. I first tried FrontPage at school, and I do remember saying "hey, this is great" back in 1998 when I enjoyed creating odd pages with that tool from Microsoft. It may have changed in time, but with the software first impression counts a lot when there are valuable alternatives to consider. Once you go away from a software, you rarely come back to check again. And if get used to one, you hardly accept a switch as it takes time and effort learning a new application.

As a personal experience, I can tell why I don't work with drupal. When I first gave it a try, installation went smooth but then it wasn't intuitive enough to direct me to the theme files and I dumped it in a second and moved to Mambo at the time when scripts like PHP Nuke and Post Nuke were still very alive. Drupal has evolved but I chose to stick with Mambo, and then moved to Joomla when it came out, for business convenience.

I only left Joomla after their core team decided to enforce the GPL restrictions on extensions ignoring 3rd party developers like me who did coding for a living. At that time I was engaged in Joomla related development on a full time basis. I am now happy I moved to Wordpress and only go back to Joomla occasionally when customers require that.

Anyway, back to the website building options. I'm happy I've invested in Macromedia Dreamweaver years ago, and I can't tell how helpful it is to a coder. With the tag suggestion, autocompletion and the advanced code search tools it's a fantastic time saver. Imagine having to modify a line of code without knowing which file to look into. Dreamwaver allows fast searching throughout thousands of files without even opening them and that's the feature I couldn't live without, honestly. With customers asking for code changes, it would take hours to do that on complex websites and Dreamwaver converts it to minutes which is amazing.

Oh and you've got to love the coloured syntax viewer that takes care of your eyesight. I'm sure some of these features can be seen at FrontPage but again, once I dumped it, I won't go back, they basically lost me to Dreamwaver long time ago.

Many of you probably aware that you can also generate web pages with Microsoft Word. A disaster when you check the generated source code, isn't it? Yet, I still come accross that kind of stuff occasionally when doing website redesign work.

Regardless if you're a web development savvy person or not, here's what I believe is the way to do things:

1. Design the web page with Photoshop or a similar tool
    2. Use Dreamweaver (or similar) to manually create the source code of the page from the designed layout
    3. Pick up a content management tool (CMS) like WordPress, Joomla, Drupal etc to build the website structure
    4. Convert the previously coded design into a theem to go with your chosend CMS
    5. Fill your website with content through the available admin panel

If you aren't able to handle any of the above steps yourself but are serious about the project and wish to keep it at professional development standards then pay for the service(s) rather than use design / code generators that will most likely ruin your work.

Clive, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  3. app789

app789 Peon

Best Answers:
    I used Dream weaver for this purpose, its good or easy for me, you can also use it.

app789, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  4. krsix

krsix Peon

Best Answers:
    I just had an aneurysm.

Keep in mind that Drupal is not really a CMS. It is more of a framework - you're expected to be writing your own webapps on it completely most of the time, not just "insert blog module and download theme"

krsix, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  5. sajan1kota

sajan1kota Active Member

Best Answers:
    Word press is a better option if you are looking for a CMS, if you are looking for tools to use then use Front page , Both of these are very much user friendly.

sajan1kota, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  6. chosenlight

chosenlight Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am guessing you dont have much experience. If not I suggest using a free what you see is what you get editor like NVU

chosenlight, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  7. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do not use Frontpage or Dreamweaver, use Wordpress or Joomla. Start out with Wordpress and then move up to Joomla for a powerful dynamic site.

Blue Star Ent., Apr 1, 2010 IP
  8. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Seems like every couple of weeks we get one of these threads - usually I end up blowing up at people for recommending complete shit like Dreamweaver...

But this week's version takes the **** cake. I have not seen such idiocy in at least five years - what, are we suddenly overburdened with nubes, or have they all poked their head out of their hidey-holes because Dan's no longer with us to rip them a new hole?

Starting out with frontpage is bad enough, but then to even SUGGEST that bluevoda is any BETTER is akin to saying an Edsel was a better automobile than a 1984 Yugo GV.

To the OP, do yourself a HUGE favor and forget EVERYTHING that has been said in this thread, as I've not seen ineptitude on this scale since 2001. Go get yourself a plain text editor; Even notepad will do though EditPlus, Notepad++, Crimson Editor, gEdit, Text Wrangler; They're ALL you need. LEARN HTML/CSS (*** SHOCK, THE HORROR, YOU MIGHT HAVE TO LEARN SOMETHING ****), learn it the modern way with separation of presentation from content - and pretend all these stupid sleazy half-assed editors like Dreamweaver, FrontPage, The artist formerly known as FrontPage, and others even EXIST.

Unless of course you WANT to just sleaze out non-semantic markup that doesn't meet accessibility norms, letting some rubbish program vomit up markup any old way.

Christmas on a cracker, anyone who reads the first page of this thread will be dumber for having done so.

deathshadow, Apr 2, 2010 IP
  9. Stephen Clark

Stephen Clark Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is going to be your best option if you're just starting out.

Stephen Clark, Apr 2, 2010 IP
  10. dnelsalty

dnelsalty Peon

Best Answers:
    SharePoint Designer 2007, Dreamweaver, Photoshop

Use Notepad to learn it, so you know.

dnelsalty, Apr 2, 2010 IP
  11. media143

media143 Member

Best Answers:
    I will suggest you Dreamweaver; Very professional software. Let me know if you need my help. Thanks

media143, May 14, 2011 IP
  12. GasArts.com

GasArts.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, your question is very broad. You need to tell more about the site you wanna create. Do you want to create it for fun ? or to learn ? or for your business or client ?
    if you are in a hurry then use CMS. Word press is very popular online, and I think you should pick it if you wanna create your site using CMS.
    if you wanna learn .. then use dreamweaver(you gotta buy it), or notepad++ (FREE) + good tutorial as you need to learn HTML, and CSS.

these are sources you may use to learn HTMl, and CSS
    W3Schools
    tizag
    echoecho

GasArts.com, May 14, 2011 IP
  13. Spooney007

Spooney007 Guest

Best Answers:

Spooney007, May 16, 2011 IP
  14. clickdesign

clickdesign Peon

Best Answers: