1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help !

Discussion in 'Directories' started by nufcfan, Mar 30, 2013.

Hi hope someone can help me here, i have a daily problem with spammy submissions from what i can see they are all from polish urls i get at least 2 pages daily how can i bloke this $hit ? i am using php 2 etc
    any help would be appreciated.

nufcfan, Mar 30, 2013 IP
  2. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You need to install captchia and stop all the auto submissions.

stoner3221, Mar 31, 2013 IP
  3. master1989

master1989 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google Recaptcha would help to stop spam. and also you can set a mail confirmation and block spam IPs

master1989, Mar 31, 2013 IP
  4. Ellys Kho

Ellys Kho Guest

Best Answers:
    just ignore spammy Submission. since spam thing always bothering from long time ago.
    just clean them every week or month.
    if you put captcha or something it's would not help much, just Banning their IP.

Ellys Kho, Apr 1, 2013 IP
  5. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dont offer free submissions, then put a mod in place so that listings are accepted only if a payment is made

Nima, Apr 2, 2013 IP
  6. Web Directory Reviews Org

Web Directory Reviews Org Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I think that's the best idea. If you really want to have a directory that encourage submissions from people who can't generally afford to pay, set your submission fee at from one to five dollars. Spammers won't generally pay, so that will greatly reduce your problem, yet leave your directory open to people who couldn't otherwise afford to submit.

7. zekin

zekin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    1. require user registration for submission (this should stop tonnes of spam).
    2. turn off the user profile , as spammer will put their link to the signature, home page link etc and hope you didn't realise.
    3. definitely use any kind of captcha, if you can choose the level of distortion, choose the toughest.

zekin, Apr 22, 2013 IP
  8. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If they're all coming from the same place, why not just block the URL?

Depending on your directory software, you may be able to ban words that are commonly included in the submissions.

Adding a registration requirement is iffy. Conversations around here would indicate that folks are less likely to submit when registration is required.

If you do start using some sort of CAPTCHA, make sure it is one that people can read. Otherwise, you'll drive away good submissions as well.

Good luck.

YMC, Apr 22, 2013 IP
  9. Web Directory Reviews Org

Web Directory Reviews Org Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    Good point. I'm 62, and perhaps that has something to do with it, but I have trouble with CAPTCHAs, and have left a few places because I just couldn't get through the CAPTCHA; sometimes they look pretty clear to me, but I keep being told that it didn't match.

10. zekin

zekin Greenhorn

Best Answers:

Good pt there, I would have never thought of that. It's nice to read this forum to learn new stuff.

Just checked, all my directories are using extreme distortion "image verification" (not as distorted as recaptcha) and yet should be OK for anyone to see. And that stopped a lot of bogus registration (bear in mind most of these bogus registration are done by robots, they don't even visit the page like human do, and normal image verification seems can't stop them).

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
    zekin, Apr 22, 2013 IP
  11. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One trick to making a CAPTCHA easier is to not use zeros, ohs, ones, els, and captial I's. They look too much alike. I think most of the standard programs have eliminated them but if you are using a home-grown one, I would strongly urge you to limit their use. Also, it's easier if you make them all numbers or all letters.

YMC, Apr 22, 2013 IP
  12. humtuma

humtuma Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Every script come with captcha and captcha is very easy to break EX- FORUMS. Add the mod of spamhaus,phistingtank, proxies check. You can stop free submission i.e another way.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
    humtuma, Apr 23, 2013 IP
  13. enous

enous Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you can figure out the spammner's IP, then you can block it.
    I have suffered this also.

enous, Apr 26, 2013 IP