1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help With Keyword Research

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by mal255, Jan 26, 2009.

Hi,

I have identified a selection of keywords that get around 6500 searches per month through the free tool on wordtracker.

In order to get some decent hits for my site, how many searches should I target? A combination that gets over 10,000, or 20,000? My logic is targeting a good listing on google with searches that get 6500 searches per month could lead to good traffic, but perhaps I should go higher.

I have not posted the link so this question is answered without me looking like I am hoping to get some cheap hits.

Any advice appreciated.

mal255, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  2. anup.mahajan

anup.mahajan Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you checked the competition? If your niche has 6500 searches but less number of competitors you may get good traffic. Check the competition by searching for keywords enclosed in double quotes example, "pet food" in Google.

There's no hard and fast rule regarding the number of searches that you should target.. depends on the niche, advertising methods (Free or PPC), how profitable the niche is, is it seasonal thing.. and lots more!

Hope that helps,
    Anup

anup.mahajan, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  3. alltheweb1985

alltheweb1985 Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly. The combination of traffic/competition is what you should primarily look at when choosing the keywords to target.

alltheweb1985, Jan 27, 2009 IP
  4. JeffCliff

JeffCliff Guest

Best Answers:
    One more thing to remember - only choose the keywords that will get you what you need.
    For example, the keyword "love" gets a lot of searches, but people you get with it will not be likely to buy anything. I know it sounds trite, but make sure to narrow it all down to only the keywords that will get you a conversion, not just traffic. I've seen inexperienced people throwing money away on PPC like that.

JeffCliff, Jan 27, 2009 IP
  5. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Target any number you want. What matters is can you attract a portion of whatever number you are targeting directly to your web properties. That's what you should be trying to figure out. And how many people will need to visit your site in order to convert to the ROI you are targeting.

internetmarketingiq, Jan 27, 2009 IP
  6. mal255

mal255 Member

Best Answers:
    I run a self-help and success article website that I am shortly going to place adsense in. My normal ads are in there already with affiliate links. I hope to make money from donations, affiliate links and adsense, marketed through mainly article marketing.

So my keywords are generally around that type of area. success, goal setting and so on, but I'll bear what you say in mind because I do want to get some major traffic to make it worthwhile.

Thanks for the replies guys.

mal255, Jan 27, 2009 IP