1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help With Domain Hosting

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Leonardo Oliveira, Mar 19, 2015.

Hey guys, here is the thing:
    I bought a domain and host, I uploaded my files from dreamweaver on the directories, it's all set. But my domain and host were bought from different places. So I need to redirect my domain to the server, and I don't know the address and can't find it on my host account. My domain managing page gives me the redirect option, but I don't know where to, so it opens the index.htm on the directory of my host server. How do I proceed from here?

Leonardo Oliveira, Mar 19, 2015 IP
  2. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    When you need technical support a good starting point is to open a support ticket with the host. They have all the answers about how the host is set up and what options are available through your control panel. You should be able to point the domain at the ip where you are hosted by accessing the name servers; and you should have that access available as an option in your control panel.

COBOLdinosaur, Mar 19, 2015 IP
  3. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are using cPanel, it will have the IP address listed on the left side. If not, then you should have received an email from your host with your IP address in it. If not, contact your host's support and ask them what your IP address is.

There are two ways you can handle your DNS: transfer your DNS to your web host or point your domain name to your server's IP address.

If you use your host's DNS, you will have to update your DNS servers at your domain registrar. Your domain registrar should have an area in their control panel where you can update your DNS servers. If you don't know what they are, contact your host's support and ask (or use a search engine and search for it).

If you point your domain name to your host's server (using your domian registrar's DNS as many provide it for free), then you will have to create an A Record for both the www and without www versions of your domain name. Also, you will have to set up an MX record so email will be routed to your server's IP address.

billzo, Mar 19, 2015 IP
  4. Michael Hill 7

Michael Hill 7 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    the easiest ways is to ask tech support of hosting company to provide name-servers.
    then go to domain company and ask their tech support to put those name-servers in your domain

Michael Hill 7, Mar 20, 2015 IP
  5. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    normally, when you load files to a host, for example, cpanel, you need to upload your files to the correct directory. This is often called "www" or "public_html". If you are using dreamweaver, where you setup servers, you need to make sure you set the right folder. ie"/www" or "/public_html" otherwise leaving this blank will upload everything in the wrong spot.

If you upload your files to the root folder, then it wont necessarily be accessible via the web.

Next, your webhost should have sent you out an email with the nameservers for your hosting account. it might be ns1.greatwebhost.com ns2.greatwebhost.com
    You copy / paste these as the nameservers at your domain registrar and thats it.

It may take up to 48hours before it "works", so dont freak out if after a few hours your site doesnt load properly.

If you really cannot solve this, PM me, I can fix it all for you. Or alternatively, most hosting companies would be happy to login to your domain registrar on your behalf if it helps you resolve the problems faster.

matt_62, Mar 20, 2015 IP
  6. Leonardo Oliveira

Leonardo Oliveira Greenhorn

Best Answers:

Hey Matt, I would be very grateful if you could take a look at it for me.
    How should I PM you? Got Whatsapp, Facebook, Skype???

Leonardo Oliveira, Mar 20, 2015 IP
  7. nimonogi

nimonogi Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you are on cPanel take a look at "File Manager", a step-by-step video to the upload process, at our Video Tutorials page.

nimonogi, Mar 28, 2015 IP