1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

HELP with ASP file in root directory contains 301 redirect code

Discussion in 'C#' started by thedarkest1666, Feb 22, 2006.

Hi,
    SEMrush
    Any help on this one would be appreciated.
    I'm new to building websites and have embarked on my first proper site that Im programming in ASP through Dreamweaver. The site is http://www.southwest-partnership.com

I uploaded the entire site from dreamweaver within a directory so there was never any index file. Nothing seemed to launch the site so someone told me to put a default .asp file in the root directory with the following 301 redirect code to launch the ASP home page.

<%@ Language=VBScript %>
    <%
    Response.Status="301 Moved Permanently"
    Response.AddHeader "Location", "http://www.southwest-partnership.com/hypnosis2006/template/home.asp"
    response.end
    %>

Is this going to be penalised by Google - will I not be ranked or listed? I know lots of 'adult' type sites seem to rdirect and bounce you around all over the place but this is a legitimate attempt to launch my ASP home page from a directory.

It seems I have not gathered any PR points or even been picked up in google yet, from the old files that used to reside on this server that I had up (a simple html site with some houses I was selling on)

Any help would be really great.

Thanks.

Andy

thedarkest1666, Feb 22, 2006 IP
    SEMrush
  2. brunozugay

brunozugay Peon

Best Answers:
    I've never had a problem with Google in these sorts of situations.

I however, would’ve just used URL forwarding.

The downside though, in both cases, is that "southwest-partnership.com" will not be indexed or ranked for itself.

Also, I’ve had much better luck using sub-domains, in stead of folders, when it comes to ranking. Something like "hypnosis.southwest-partnership.com".

brunozugay, Feb 22, 2006 IP
  3. thedarkest1666

thedarkest1666 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the info - does this mean - even if an external site points to the actual homepage - the whole site would never be indexed or ranked?

Thanks again.

thedarkest1666, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  4. brunozugay

brunozugay Peon

Best Answers:
    As long as the external link points to "http://www.southwest-partnership.com/hypnosis2006/template/home.asp" you'll be okay as far as that sub-directory goes.

Links to "southwest-partnership.com" would not make sense because 301 is in fact telling all the search engines that you've "moved".

brunozugay, Feb 24, 2006 IP