1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help updating/upgrading phpbb2 forum...

Discussion in 'phpBB' started by cheftom, May 8, 2009.

I need help migrating my phpbb2 forum...

I'm in the process of upgrading my website.

I currently have a phpbb2 forum that has a very large database of users/posts.

My new site is Joomla based, so I want to setup a new forum that is compatible with Joomla and then import my existing posts/users into the new forum.

One concern with the forum data, is most of the posts are recipes that include fractions (ie. 1/2 3/4, etc) I want to make sure that all of that data transfers correctly.

I'm looking for someone who can help me achieve this at a reasonable rate.

cheftom, May 8, 2009 IP
  2. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When you say that you need "help migrating my phpbb2 forum", what does that exactly mean? Your running joomla. If I understand it right, Fireboard is one of the few forums that is fully integrated with Joomla. You said you wanted a "new forum that is compatible with Joomla" - that is going to be something like fireboard. Because other forums require a bridge. And bridges cause problems later down the road.

Are you trying to integrate phpbb2 with joomla?
    Are you trying to migrate phpbb2 over to some other forum software such as fireboard? And then integrate it with joomla?
    Do you want to convert phpbb2 to phpbb3 and then integrate with joomla?
    Or something else?

And just in case you did not know, phpbb2 is no longer supported. This is from the official phpbb2 forums.

phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=900655

While your in the process of this "migration", you might want to consider updating to phpbb3 or converting to some other kind of forum software. Because any security holes that are found in phpbb2 are not going to be fixed by the official development team.

~kev~, May 8, 2009 IP
  3. cheftom

cheftom Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would like to use Fireboard with Joomla.

What I need is someone who can take my phpbb2 forum/database and convert/import it into my new Fireboard installation within joomla.

I tried upgrading/converting my phpbb2 forum to phpbb3 but I ran into some conversion problems.... some numbers and fractions turned into symbols after the update. I want to prevent this from happening.

cheftom, May 8, 2009 IP
  4. RackSolidHost

RackSolidHost Peon

Best Answers:
    check the encoding

RackSolidHost, May 9, 2009 IP
  5. heyman12

heyman12 Peon

Best Answers:
    heyman12, May 10, 2009 IP