1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help unzipping file using SSH

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by quamism, Oct 10, 2007.

If anyone is able to help unzip a file on my server the help would truely be appreseated. I bought a site a week ago, but there were over 30K files and uploading them 1 by 1 would take forever. I have uploaded the zipped file to the server but i am having problems unzipping the file using ssh since i am not very familiar with unix.

I am willing to pay a resonable fee for someones help. Please contact me via PM or respond to this post if you are able to help.

Thank you in advance.

quamism, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  2. kkrizka

kkrizka Peon

Best Answers:
    Run the following command over SSH:
    unzip theziparchive.zip

If you have uploaded it to different directory that your "home" directory, you are going to have to navigate to it. You can use the command ls to list the files/folders in the current directory, and the command cd dirname to open a folder. :)

kkrizka, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  3. quamism

quamism Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for your response. I get a response that the "command is not found". Anyone else able to help?

quamism, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  4. kkrizka

kkrizka Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm, seems like the server dosn't have zip installed. Try typing in just "zip" and see if you get a command not found too.

If that's the problem, you should package your files as a "tarball". I think winrar supports them on windows, just make sure the new archive has an extension tar.gz. Then you can unpack it using:
    tar -xvzf archive.tar.gz

The tar command is very common on Unix systems, so I would be very surprised if your host dosn't have that.

kkrizka, Oct 10, 2007 IP
    quamism likes this.
  5. Technojoint

Technojoint Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello,

You may contact me, I'll do that for you free. just a tiny and miniutes cmd i think :)

Regards,
    Tj

Technojoint, Oct 12, 2007 IP
  6. agnivo007

agnivo007 Peon

Best Answers:
    On redhat based systems, run through ssh :
    # yum install unzip

then proceed as :
    # unzip file.zip

agnivo007, Oct 13, 2007 IP