1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help Transitioning Optigold to a New Server

Discussion in 'Optigold ISP' started by nuwanet, Jun 19, 2004.

Greetings! I am in the process of transitioning our Optigold server to a new system. Is this the best way to do that:

1 - Install FileMaker server on the new system
    2 - Run database install from the Optigold installer
    3 - backup/copy the data files on the old server (not sure which files I should backup)
    4 - Restore the backup/copy on the new server

If just a copy/restore is all it takes, then all I need to know is which files I should move to the new server. I am missing anything? Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks!

nuwanet, Jun 19, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Just a copy is fine... just copy your .fp5 files from the old to the new.

digitalpoint, Jun 19, 2004 IP
  3. Maria

Maria Active Member

Best Answers:
    We are also looking at transitioning Optigold to a new server. (I'm not the techie).

FileMaker Client (5.0 or 5.5) + Optigold Webserver on Win NT
    Filemaker Server (5.0 or 5.5) on Redhat 9
    Filemaker (5.0 or 5.5) workstations

Our new systems admin wants to:

Have both run on a single Windows 2000 machine, replace the Windows NT machine with a Win 2000 machine and retain the Linux machine, have two Windows 2000 machines or run Linux with VMWare and NT.

Is there any advantage to doing any particular one of the above? Will Filemaker and Optigold run on Win 2003? He thinks that 2003 has a lot of problems. Has anyone had any problems with Win 2003? Is there any particular reason for not continuing to use Linux (other than the support/Linux server edition stuff)?

What would be the optimal server specs for servers that have data for 3,000 customers and that is accessed by tech support staff via the web?

Maria, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    As far as I know Optigold runs fine on Windows 2003, although I have not personally tried it. For server specs, anything that can run the OS should be fine.

digitalpoint, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  5. Maria

Maria Active Member

Best Answers:
    What about his idea about running both the webserver and filemaker database on the same server versuses running it on two separate servers as we have now?

Also, will Filemaker 5.5 run on Linux Enterprise 3ES?

Maria, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You can't run them on the same machine. Not sure about Linux Enterprise, you may want to check FileMaker's website on that.

digitalpoint, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  7. tbuchanan

tbuchanan Peon

Best Answers:
    We run Optigold on Windows 2003 Server Enterprise edition with no problems. I think the Filemaker version is 5.5 not really sure tho. In my experience I've found Win2k3 is much more stable than Win2k.

-Trey

tbuchanan, Jul 13, 2005 IP
  8. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Is this true for MacOSX as well? Reason I ask is, you are saying that FM Web Server and the FM DB server with OG will not run on the same machine together. However, according to the hard copy manual I have, on page 13, Chapter 2 under "Multi Purpose Server", you indicate that "You can run the Optigold ISP web server, an automated taks workstation, and Filemaker Pro Server all on the same server if you wish."

You go on to say that this only works on NT, not the Mac because "NT uses sockets style TCP/IP, while Macintosh uses streams.

I realize the manual I have is PRE-OSX, so is this still the case? I would like to merge our FM DB OG Server with our FMPRO Web Server under OSX.

Thanx.

Mia, Jan 18, 2007 IP
  9. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Looks like I found my answer here: https://www.digitalpoint.com/lists/59104.html

Question is, how? I am assuming the boot order is going to be extremely important given the Web Server is not going to be able to log into the DB server until the DB server is live, correct? Is there a proceedure for this? Also, while I know the latest version of FM Pro that is compatible with OG is 6.0 what is the latest version of FM Server for OSX that is compatible with OG?

Thanx again!

Mia, Jan 18, 2007 IP