1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help..Still waiting to get listed

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by greatone, Nov 29, 2005.

As far as I remember, I submit my site to DMOZ 6 months ago but never have a change to get listed. I tried to submit it again a few months later but still the same result. Can anyone please give me some tips on how to get listed in DMOZ?

greatone, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  2. vlasta

vlasta Peon

Best Answers:
    hunting red reps? ;)

I am sure you know all of this, but someone else may find it useful anyway. Assuming your question is related to the site in your signature (hxxp://www.internet-marketing-promotion-advertising.com). It looks like spam to me:
    - it is overloaded with advertising
    - a lot of content is not original
    - bad spelling and grammar in your original content
    - unclear purpose of the site - is it offering services or is it informative? - seems like both and neither

To get listed -> add a lot of quality original content, make the site useful, and make it transparent

----
    nice spammy domain name BTW

vlasta, Nov 29, 2005 IP
    Alucard and compostannie like this.
  3. riz

riz Peon

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately, the site in your signature does not meet current ODP standards. My honest advice is to let it go. Do not let your suggestion to DMOZ hinder your other site promotion activities. You should be able to achieve acceptable results with focused page optimization.

riz, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  4. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Your site has a lot of misspelled words that should be corrected. You should not be resubmitting your site after only a few months. It really depends on the editor, but it is not unusual for it to take years before an editor will even look at your submission. There are many more submissions than they have editors.

I am an DMOZ editor for an entirely different category, but as has been suggested, the chances of getting your site listed (as it is now) are very small imo. I personally don't reject a site because of affiliate ads, but the site needs to have a lot of original content that stands out from other sector related sites. DMOZ is more about content that the visual look of your site.

There are a lot of sites that are currently listed that should never have been accepted, but try to build a site that compares to the best sites listed. A DMOZ listing isn't something you need to have a successful site. A listing can give a slight boost to rankings, but I've never had a site receive any significant traffic from a listing. Even if your site is never accepted, adding original content and fixing spelling and grammar errors will help your site more than a listing ever would.

mjewel, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  5. Test-ok

Test-ok Peon

Best Answers:
    not even looking at your site...the url yells Spam in a very loud voice.

Test-ok, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  6. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    http://www.internet-marketing-promotion-advertising.com/SEO-Directory-List.html

Your site appears to be under construction, in addition to what has been previously said. This, in itself, is not a reason to reject a site under all circumstances (as the guidelines explain) but in cases where the site as a whole lacks rare and unique content, it's generally frowned upon to accept sites where the webmaster has clearly not even taken the time to put his/her site in working order before suggesting it to the directory

bradley, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  7. greatone

greatone Peon

Best Answers:
    thank you very much for the help and clarifications. I will recheck the whole site for Spelling Erros and corrent them as soon as posible.

Test-ok, do you think I should change my domain name? or is thier any rule in major search engines that will prevent me from getting at the top for using a long domain names?

Again thank you for your comments and help. It really helps me a lot and I learned a lot by just reading all your answers.

greatone, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  8. Test-ok

Test-ok Peon

Best Answers:
    I would
    It's spammy, (key word ridden...not one but a 4 key word url all generic terms) it could fall in and out of indexes because of it.

Test-ok, Dec 3, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  9. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    wrmineo, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  10. kk22bbme

kk22bbme Peon

Best Answers:
    think aanother way to promote your site...
    i think,......wait till the crow becomes white..

www.ballhistory.com

kk22bbme, Dec 5, 2005 IP
  11. riz

riz Peon

Best Answers:
    This may be a local proverb in Philippines. Does it imply waiting for ever?

riz, Dec 5, 2005 IP
  12. redQueen

redQueen Peon

Best Answers:
    same as the others, i would also advice a domain name change. it is spammy, perhaps use branding? or something like that. :) good luck with your site greatone! :D

off topic: yes "wait till the crow turns white" is a local proverb telling someone that the wait will take forever (not a good advice to give pare). and i hate to burst your bubble but there are white crows. :D http://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/whitecrows.htm]

redQueen, Dec 6, 2005 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  13. vic@VKIStudios

vic@VKIStudios Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ listings takes a lot of patience. Sometimes you get lucky and it gets in there within 3 months. That is for less competitive categories. Remember this is all done by a human! :)

vic@VKIStudios, Dec 6, 2005 IP