1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help: Social Engine or PHPFox?

Discussion in 'Scripts' started by mauroblogs, Jul 30, 2012.

Hello.
    I’m working as a consultant for an established internet company based in New York and we are researching for the best solution to convert an existing website – which I can not expose - in a Community with a Web Directory.

At this moment we are trying to decide between Social Engine and PHPFox, but also considering other solution.

Our website has a huge traffic, and we are concern about some Social Engine reviews that we saw online: several bugs, bad support and (the most important) very slow speed when we have more than 50/100 users online.

Since during the day for us it’s usual to have +/- 3.000 users online, we would like to have your honest opinion on your Social Engine and PHPFox experience, and which platform should we use.

Thanks in advance

mauroblogs, Jul 30, 2012 IP
  2. ilook

ilook Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are only just a few good social networking scripts around.
    Actually 3 well known and solid, they exist for many years already and have good support too and private forums.

phpFox - http://www.phpfox.com (the best of the 3)

Social Engine - http://www.socialengine.net

Jomsocial - http://www.jomsocial.com (this is a Joomla component, Joomla itself is free)

Hope this helps you.

ilook, Jul 30, 2012 IP
  3. jackzliu

jackzliu Peon

Best Answers:
    mauroblogs,
    I've used both SocialEngine and phpFox. Recently, phpFox released their 3.4.1 version and is much better than SocialEngine. The speed in my opinion is faster with phpFox. Just try out their demos and you will notice the difference. With SocialEngine, you will end up doing many custom developments because the core product is missing functionality. But you won't have the same problem with phpFox. If you're worried about speed, just make sure to get a dedicated host instead of shared hosting.

Also, look at Ning because they provide a hosted solution. But if you do any customizations, you'll be very limited. If you want to read more regarding my experience with SocialEngine, check out socialbuilders101.com

jackzliu, Jan 8, 2013 IP
  4. JoeFromBoston

JoeFromBoston Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Can you share with us which you chose and how it is going?

JoeFromBoston, Aug 6, 2013 IP
  5. A Rob A

A Rob A Peon

Best Answers:
    I am so much familiar about Phpfox because I also purchased for 1 website 2 years ago.

My common problem with phpFox is the script itself is make of spambots. When you get your site onlne, the spam bots will queue posting anything including adults links.

I keep blocking and keep kicking but they are unconquerable..

I activated the recapcha, approved manually but the bots could bypass all the security settings. I disable the blog and marketplace but the spam bots are still keeps posting nastly links.

Thats the problem of phpFox and the script is really heavy and really slow. Compare to my drupal free GNU site, its too fast but my phpfox is a dead slow.

I just invested for lose with the phpfox.

Though I never tried with social engine but I think Social engine is not made of spam bots.

Only the front page of phpFox is beautiful but inside is a damn hell.

I could not take down my site because I paid for it. I don't have any choice then... I paid the domain registration for 5 years and I am not earning from ads because people said the site is slow, seems heavy and not unique.

Now I want to innovate a social network from dust. GNU Drupal could be a better social network platform and its free and customizable. Free upgrade, free update, and and branding free. You can own drupal as you want.. for FREE

I wasted money for phpfox but I will never take it down... I just let it be than taking it down. Maybe my licence would expire if I will take it down.

So I could not recommend phpfox.. for developers.. try Drupal its free and highly secured. You could build a great website, market place, forum site, news site, corporate site, social network for free with Drupal... Drupal is like having a touch of King Midas. From Drupal, my site ranked in alexa and earning from ads out of 0.00 investment but just time.

A Rob A, Dec 18, 2013 IP