1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help needed Sitewide Problem, please help.

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Brian1970, Jun 20, 2007.

I bought a sitewide on a directory less than a month ago; the sitewide was a subscription @ $15 per month.

Today I received a Pm saying the price was going up to $40 per month if my sitewide was to remain.

I think that because the arrangement is only new that the sitewide and price should remain.

Here is the PM (Names Removed)

Hello,

i know that you guys have supported **** in alot since the time it was launched.

Time has come that i am very happy with my directory. I would like to ask you all how do you like this idea.

As you see i have 13 sponsor on the directory right now with a price of $15 / month, but i am thinking about reducing the number of

sponsor listing to 5 (only) and raise the price to $40 / month listing for the directory sitewide.

as you can see ******** has gained alot of reputation and is growing strong on Search Engine ranking.

I think this will benefit the directory as a whole, and give more power to the sponsors who will be listed.

Reply back if you will be interested...

i will be cancelling subscription soon.

If the site had jumped in PR then I can understand someone wanting to change the terms or removing my link. But why change less than a month into the agreement?

I’m asking follow DP members if I’m right to be mad at this.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Jun 20, 2007 IP
    LeopardAt1 likes this.
  2. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Add them to the QBC list. That's BS. Who is it?

When you sign up with a subscription and there are no talks of the length, that subscription should remain intact for as long as you are subscribed.

Sad and pathetic when people do this.

an0n, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  3. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think it is unfair to change the price and cancel the subscription. Any chance of making the url public?

maldives, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  4. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    At least they let you know. Make sure that your PayPal or whatever subscription is discontinued.

Sure you have a right to be unhappy, just as that directory owner has a right to raise his prices. After only a month on a new site? Would raise enough worry in my mind to find a better place to invest my advertising dollars anyway.

YMC, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  5. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If a site has a PR4 and in the next update if it is PR7 then there is very right with the owner to cancel subscription

But there should be consensus between a owner and seller as they have their own rights to cancel subscription

I have never heard of directory charging $40 (Mean while what is the PR of the directory? if it PR5 I would say it is too much)

Freewebspace, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  6. shenron

shenron Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Geez...

Is it a PR7?

Well, in any case I doubt it changed in 1 month as there was no PR update.

Either there is a predefined length or there is a gentlemen agreement.

Well, the problem is that some people around here don't know this word... gentlemen

shenron, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  7. overdrive

overdrive Active Member

Best Answers:
    That is ridiculous. I would be pissed and tell them that if they want to charge more then they need to do it with new advertisers, not the current ones. I would look elsewhere!

overdrive, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  8. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    "QBC" and will remove him in my lists if he does that. I'm one of the recipients of that PM.

popotalk, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  9. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I also received the same pm from Smub and hoped to resolve it by pm. However as Brian has posted this I'll copy my reply to Smub and the other recipients:

I am not happy with this. I subscribed for a sitewide weeks after idk.in was launched looking for a long term investment. I could have waited until PR was gained but I wanted to lock into that price at an early stage. At that time it was said there would only be 3 sitewides.

I also started a thread asking directory owners their views on increasing sitewide prices as PR increased, and the overwhelming verdict was that a subscriber should be locked into the price they originally subscribed at unless there was a clear disclaimer stating it was for a limited time.

I'm disappointed by this message and would request others to copy everybody into their reply to see the views of everyone.

Regards, Steve

syted, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  10. choice

choice Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    let us know who this was

bang out of order

choice, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  11. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    and thats pathetic. way to kill yourself syed and welcome to the QBC.

an0n, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  12. LeopardAt1

LeopardAt1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just wondering, did he already claim he will do this or is he thinking whether he should go this route.

When you shorten the number of sponsored links from 13 to 5, does the value of the link increase? Or it doesn't matter? I do know at text-link-ads.com, their link price calculator increases the value depending on how many links you decide to offer.

Anyhow, I do think 40/mo is a bit steep for a PR5....and if I was Brian, I would be upset that the price has raised when you felt like you probably had a good deal at 15/mo for a PR5, but is he really a QBC? It seems like smub is very into IDK....he offers lots of free templates to the phpLD community as well and uses his directory as a sponsor. Not sure if other QBC's do that either...

LeopardAt1, Jun 20, 2007 IP
    Brian1970 likes this.
  13. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It doesn't matter who's name it is. It's money based, and poor business too.
    There were no predefined terms of length, and as an example, Brian had *just* signed up, and 20 days later is getting hit with a renege? wtf.. yea right. That's BS.

A 'name' does not hide such actions. I don't care who it is and these guys have every right to be pissy.

an0n, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  14. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a very sensitive issue. buyers can cancel the subscription anytime they want, but they don't like when sellers do the same. I can understand that as age matters to the value of a link.
    the guy wants to reduce the number of sitewides from his directory and I understand and respect that, and that shows he is getting more serious about his directory. the price raise was probably his way to reduce the number of links. this really sucks for both buyers and the directory owner.

The only fair thing in my opinion is for those who don't accept the price raise, smub should refund them all what they paid from the beginning. because like I said age is a very important parameter in the link value. And next time, the agreement should be clear from the start.

enQuira, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  15. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    $40 for sitewide link is alot. At least PR6 I think.

xc06, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  16. balkanboy

balkanboy Banned

Best Answers:
    Rob, maybe he is just investigating and not really canceling subscriptions. 5 links instead of 13 should cost more each-that is true.
    Let's see what he has to say.

balkanboy, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  17. alang

alang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    he should think about this when he want to sell more links at his site less than a month ago. If he want to add more quality to his site, why he sell more than 10 links at that time?

alang, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  18. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As you can see by my OP I had no intention of naming anyone at this point.

You can read his pm for yourself.

I thing that bothered me was “I will be cancelling subscription soon.”
    I really don’t understand why a warning pm could not be sent like “After the coming update I’m removing sitewides” that way I would have had some benefit from the sitewide.

I also think we should move away from “Who the person is” If it’s wrong it should not matter who is doing the wrong.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  19. balkanboy

balkanboy Banned

Best Answers:
    Everybody is too obsessed with pr. Alive directory is pr6, but daily listing is 150$. How is that?
    If site can send traffic, even pr0 site may cost 100$ per month.

balkanboy, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  20. Dubz

Dubz Peon

Best Answers:
    That kind of goes back to what I said, it was the "i'm cancelling your link" that got you going, had he let you know what he was thinking of planning on doing etc you wouldn't be as annoyed obviously. Still though shouldn't sell tones than 20 days later say I'm changing it because who would buy a sitewide for 1 month....

Dubz, Jun 20, 2007 IP