1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help! My webhost won't let me set up an SPF record

Discussion in 'Security' started by mwo_4life, May 22, 2007.

So, I find out today that AOL and Hotmail are bouncing my emails because I'm on their spam blacklists (lots of emails have been sent lately spoofed as my .co.uk domain; I only sent about 10-20 emails a day)

I contact Streamline.net, who host my .co.uk domain, asking to set up an SPF record for me, their response?

"We don't offer that service"

Great. I paid to renew my account not 5 days ago. What do you guys think I should do? Is there anything I can do to get my SPF record out there? Or do I need to change hosts?

Thanks

mwo_4life, May 22, 2007 IP
  2. turiel

turiel Peon

Best Answers:
    Perhaps they don't know or understand what an SPF record is.

Maybe try asking them to add this TXT field to your domain.

Other than that you'll just have to change to a host which allows full control over every aspect of your nameserver entry. My one (hosting365.ie) even gives you the actual entry from the BIND zone file.

turiel, May 22, 2007 IP
  3. mwo_4life

mwo_4life Peon

Best Answers:
    They understand alright, they just won't let me do it (nor change it themselves). Way to leave your customers wide open for spam abuse, Streamline!

Problem is, I've just paid for 2 more years hosting with them. I presume I can change the domain name registrar to one that allows you to add TXT DNS records (like 123-reg.co.uk), but point the nameservers back to Streamline?

mwo_4life, May 22, 2007 IP
  4. Davidj

Davidj Peon

Best Answers:
    mwo_4life,

In the meantime host your own dns using something like zoneedit.com & then just point the A entries / MX back to streamline.

It should be fairly easy to do. There's a number of great, free dns hosting services out there.

Davidj, May 22, 2007 IP
  5. nukepuppy

nukepuppy Peon

Best Answers:
    well its vhosting... that you have.. so yeah they wont do it cause it sucks to implement..

if they're running plesk its very annoying to get going for the admins.. id never do it for anyone other than myself in the servers i admin..

If you want that kind of thing ya need hosts that allow you to do all types of records / complete DNS control etc..

nukepuppy, May 22, 2007 IP