1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

HELP ! My hosting has suspended my acc and is not giving the backup :(

Discussion in 'Outages' started by soundingloud, Mar 18, 2010.

I Run a Music Dj upload website where Musician Upload dre music, i didnt receive any email from my Hosting www.hostmds.com and they suspended my ac. and they are not willing to give me the Media files back though they have provided me the database of my complete website... but my website is incomplete without the MP3 files which and FYI which were not a stolen music and was original music uploaded by the DJ's and other musicians themselves.

Reason: so many connections which made there server crash.
    Hosting: www.hostmds.com
    Plan: Unlimited (3years )
    servers in : Canada
    My Country : India

He refuses to give the backup of the MP3 Files and says it is against TOS.

( My website is 8-9 months OLD and was hosted on the same server since then )

What to do to get all the back up of the MP3 files? :(

soundingloud, Mar 18, 2010 IP
  2. RHS-Chris

RHS-Chris Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should have made a local backup of the files periodically if they were that important. If they are not willing to let you have access to them, then is sounds like your S.O.L.

RHS-Chris, Mar 23, 2010 IP
  3. soundingloud

soundingloud Peon

Best Answers:
    We had a word with the co. they told us that they have deleted all the MP3/media files from there Server. We had no other questions to ask after that :( .

do you guys think that we could still take actions ?

as we are a prepaid customer and one year hosting is still left with them :(
    Hostmds has really created a fus out here..

soundingloud, Mar 24, 2010 IP
  4. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If the content wasn't illegal then they should have made it possible to return these files. Our Terms of Service make it clear how to recover files from a suspended or terminated account although you do have to carry this out within 7 days, and make sure any payments due are cleared before the 7-days are over, or the files will be deleted.

On the other hand, any action you take against them will need to be in the country the company comes from and starting an expensive civil action in a foreign country will take months to resolve and will cost you a lot of money. You may have a good cause of action, with a high chance of winning, but only you can decide whether it is worth it and you will need to consult a solicitor from that country to determine what your rights are and what you want to do about it.

Too many hosts operate in this high-handed manner with impunity because no-one takes them to task over what they have done, it's up to you do decide what's the best thing for you. I'm also aware we're only hearing one side of the story here, so the host may have a different interpretation of the events.

RonBrown, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  5. soundingloud

soundingloud Peon

Best Answers:
    Correct... well yes you have just heard the one side of story.. but anyhow... he didnt give us any warning... and he just deleted all the files... nope filing a suit is just not possible or even worth that.

what all i could gather from here was just some Learning which would help me in the future :)

thx mate..and thank you all for the suggestion.

any good hosts that you guys would want to suggest. ? ( Shared and VPS) both

soundingloud, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  6. RonBrown

Best Answers:
    It's a tough way to learn a lesson. Now that you've decided to move on, look for host that doesn't promise the earth for nothing and one who has a good reputation or is recommended by someone you know. There are lots of professional companies around and these are the ones to go to. If you can, find one that's been around for a few years with a track-record of good customer service.

RonBrown, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  7. soundingloud

soundingloud Peon

Best Answers:
    correct... at the moment i have a Hosting ac with Justhost... i got it for free..> :D ( Shared ) pretty happy with it.... they have not created any troubles as of now... i would just go with the big names... like dream host... hostgator etc etc.
    i hope that would make sense ?

soundingloud, Mar 30, 2010 IP
  8. Fastian

Fastian Peon

Best Answers:
    It is unfortunate situation and I feel sorry for your loss.

But I am just surprised that you dont have your own backup.
    (Backup --> Backup --> Backup)
    You should always have multiple backups of your important data. Local backup and even off site backup.
    You just learned the lesson hard way.

Fastian, Mar 30, 2010 IP
  9. hopeless4

hopeless4 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly, this couldn't have been a company with any sort of reputation to lose. I go with "aged" companies. They aren't even more expensive when you take into account the extra domains they allow, file size, uptime, etc. It sounds like you went "cheap" on that deal, and learned reasons not to do that in the future. BlueHost has the majority of my sites, and downtime isn't an issue with them.

hopeless4, Mar 30, 2010 IP
  10. soundingloud

soundingloud Peon

Best Answers:
    yee... :) na the Server where the Files were stored... Was at HostMDS ... the mistake i made was not to take backups... and i guess that has to be done on daily basis... in 2 -3 days a backup should always be taken on the disk.

rite?

soundingloud, Mar 30, 2010 IP
  11. RonBrown

Best Answers:
    You should always keep backups for your own safety. Even when hosts do carry out backups things can go wrong, so you want to be absolutely sure that reasonably up-to-date info is available to you. It's a case of getting into a routine and then making sure you stick with it.

RonBrown, Mar 30, 2010 IP