1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

help me pick a domain registration method, por favor

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by devin, Jan 16, 2006.

there're two options for me now:

1) get a hosting company who gives a free domain registration.
    2) get a domain registrar who also provides hosting packages (godaddy).

i read that it is always better to register a domain with a registrar, than to go thro a middleman hosting company.

the first option gives about 300GB free disk space. the second gives about 5 GB space. personally i think i don't need 300GB at all (oversell). my site will be an informative website, about places of interests.

can you guys help me with suggestions?

also, what is the difference between a windows-based and a linux-based server?

devin, Jan 16, 2006 IP
  2. cottoncandy

cottoncandy Peon

Best Answers:
    cottoncandy, Jan 16, 2006 IP
  3. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    The last thing you want to do is tie your domain name to a hosting company, imho. I've done so in the past and lived to regret it when I decided to move hosts or had problems.

Buy your domain name from one company; you mentioned GoDaddy, or you could use Namecheap or a registrar more local to you if you prefer; and your hosting from another company. You then set up the domain to point at your hosting (easy to do). If for some reason you need to move hosts, you can do so easily. You can't do that if your domain is tied into your hosting package.

mcfox, Jan 17, 2006 IP
  4. muchacho

muchacho Active Member

Best Answers:
    As mcfox said, buy your domain from a registrar, don't tie to a hosting company, you may regret that decision when you want to move from that company.

Selecting different companies for domain registration and hosting you will also have more options now to choose from, and find easier to choose other companies in the future if you want.

A Linux server is usually cheaper than a Windows. You'll probably have a control panel so won't need to have any linux knowledge.

muchacho, Jan 17, 2006 IP
  5. boodidyajump

boodidyajump Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    couldn't have put it better! a very easy mistake to make when you lack experience, as i know to my cost. really winds me up at renewal time but i just opt for a quiet life and pay-up. :(

boodidyajump, Jan 17, 2006 IP
  6. devin

devin Guest

Best Answers:
    thanks guys! i'll register separately then. does anyone know if exabytes is reliable?

devin, Jan 17, 2006 IP
  7. iBBnet

iBBnet Peon

Best Answers:
    Take his advice, as it would be the same one I would give you. Never purchase a domain name from a hosting company you're staying with. They'll end up owning it (rather than you) and or kidnapping it/keeping it for ransom.... OK, I don't know how to describe it properly, but I hope someone out there knows what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I keep my domain registrars and hosting accounts separate.

iBBnet, Jan 17, 2006 IP