1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help me improve these sites, please.

Discussion in 'Websites' started by GjB, Nov 20, 2016.

This is just a hobby site, but I'd like to improve it.
    https://www.computers-for-everyone.com
    The info is very simple, but I wanted something to create and I'll add more.
    I'm a little design and color challenged, so please give any advice of ways to improve it if you can.

This one hasn't been touched for ages. http://www.grantbarker.com/
    I kind of gave up when a good friend died a couple of years ago. I don't expect to add too much to it anymore, but I'd like to make it tidier.

Thanks for your opinions, critiques, or downright rudeness.

GjB, Nov 20, 2016 IP
  2. PunctRo

PunctRo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I like https://www.computers-for-everyone.com. It's clean, useful and it loads fast.
    I would try to make the article titles stand out a bit more. Maybe play with the font color and font weight.
    Also I would like to see the date when the article was published.
    On search page maybe show a preview of the article not just the link to the article
    Maybe disable the menu animation. It slows down a bit the navigation.

I hope this helps.

PunctRo, Nov 30, 2016 IP
    GjB likes this.
  3. GjB

GjB Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks PunctRo, that's perfect.

I removed the dates, but I'll add them back. (It means some of the articles will show to be a few months old, although I did mention if they were posted or updated.) I can't compete with the professional blogs with their daily articles, but I did feel that having the date is somehow more honest, so I'll add them again, thanks.

I agree about the fonts and the font-weights. I still don't like the blue logo so much, for one of those reasons, maybe also the colour.
    A preview of the article in the search results is a good idea. It could take me a little while, to do it right (it would be nice to include an image), as I'm new to PHP, and building databases, hence why the search has many bugs depending on what we type in. (It has a phonetic search aspect to it, which I probably don't need.) The search is the newest feature so far.

I also agree about the menu animation. It's impossible to click on the main top menu item until it has fully opened up or extended. That must be a simple fix, but I need to look into it.

I much appreciate your honest and constructive feedback, and yes, it does help! Thanks.

GjB, Nov 30, 2016 IP