1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help in Starting a Digital Marketing Blog

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Digital Marketing Eye, Sep 5, 2017.

I recently just started to build my Digital Marketing Blog and I have been posting there. Up to now, the traffic has been poor but in all honesty, I am unsure and slightly out of date with the latest techniques to drive traffic.
    I was then thinking about who my target audience should be to better understand the strategy I need to take. I suppose that would be newcomers to marketing as I would unlikely be able to teach very much to a seasoned marketer.
    Does anybody have any suggestions on how I should approach my site with content and traffic methods paid or free?. My site is:

http://digitalmarketingeye.com/

I am quite active on Twitter and LinkedIn and there are no paid traffic methods being used at the moment. I am considering Facebook Ads but I really need to decide on how I should monetize this site before I decide to pay for traffic.
    I would also like to build this site in a way that would hopefully impress a Digital Marketing employer.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated
    Thanks Rob

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Digital Marketing Eye, Sep 5, 2017 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    What's the purpose of the blog?
    Traffic might not be an issue
    Possible purposes:
    1. showcase your expertise to new clients who already know about you
    2. showcase your expertise to people who don't know you but are looking for an agency
    3. keep regular readers engaged on issues that interest you
    4. earn ad revenue
    If all you are doing is #1 then traffic isn't important, on the other hand can you be a digital marketing expert and not know how to drive traffic?

Engaging with regular readers is really hard work - it's one thing to know who the experts are, it's another thing altogether to get them to commit to reading the sites.

sarahk, Sep 5, 2017 IP
  3. Digital Marketing Eye

Digital Marketing Eye Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, Sarahk. Excellent points you make there.

Digital Marketing Eye, Sep 6, 2017 IP
  4. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with Sarah.

It does depend on why you're maintaining the site. Don't see much point in adding paid traffic if you haven't monetized yet.

I'd add that if you're looking to attract a digital marketing employer (aside from learning how to generate traffic as Sarah mentioned) determine what you have to bring to the table that will increase that employer's bottom line (and continue to boost it). Then publish information on the site explaining how you'll do that. Wisdom from Napoleon Hill...

JoeSpirit, Sep 6, 2017 IP
  5. Digital Marketing Eye

Digital Marketing Eye Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply.
    This site started as a web design project, but as digital marketing agencies are not siloing job roles as much as they used to, I feel that understanding digital marketing would carry extra weight to show flexability and switch roles.
    Another person has suggested to me that I should try and show how I can create quality content and drive traffic to my website and use that site and statistics as my portfolio. This will be a learning journey and at this stage, I would say that my target would be inexperienced marketers and learners. I would like to make a good connection with local digital agencies, but I want to start smaller. I would like to monetize this site but am undecided on how to do that and be professional. I'm ok with affiliate offers but want quality.

Digital Marketing Eye, Sep 6, 2017 IP
  6. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think I understand your goal a bit better now.

It seems to me, in light of your intent to help those who have little to no experience, that you could start reviewing digital marketing related products. Write the review about how the product performs along with your thoughts on how the product is or is not a useful/quality training tool for learning digital marketing. You could include your affiliate links for those products that prove to be high quality to monetize your site.

Understand that your negative reviews will anger the creators of those products that don't work and you might want to exercise some diplomacy in writing those reviews but your own readers deserve the truth.

A site like that will serve also as an excellent portfolio if your content is high quality.

You can use both free and paid traffic to get visitors and as your high-quality content quantities increase the search engines will take notice and increase the amount of organic traffic they send your way.

JoeSpirit, Sep 7, 2017 IP