1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

[HELP]How to convert from ILLUSTRATOR to Coral draw[ai>CDR]

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by tripad, Jul 30, 2008.

Hey Guys

please help me convert an Illustration to CDR format !

I hav an illustration saved ... its quite high resolution ... the printer wants it in CDR format .. so that he can do the editing ....

Now how do i do that ? ... am not very friendly with AI !

tripad, Jul 30, 2008 IP
  2. scorpionagency

scorpionagency Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1st option: CorelDraw x3 can import a .ai file that is saved as Cs2 or lower version. I'm not sure what version your print comany has, but just make sure to open your .Ai file in illustrator > Save As .Ai > Version select "Cs1" or lower. They should be able to open all layers of that in corelDraw.

2nd option: Ok, a quick solution would be to open up your work in Illustrator > Export As .Wmf (Vector). The .Wmf Vector is a universal Vector format (Windows Meta File). CorelDraw can import the the .Wmf vector with ALL layers intact :)

Keep in mind that when exporting as a .Wmf any filters you may have used will either be converted to an embedded bitmap or be lost completely. Filters are not Vector points/paths oriented (Sad but True).

These days I focus on not using any filters at all (E.G. transparencies / gradients / bevels / etc..) That way i can cross platform easily with any other software manufacturer :) - I currently can deliver in over 78 different file extensions because I don't use filters. Just something to keep in mind for future reference. :)

I'm sure the print shop is aware of the ability to import the .Wmf file into corel software, if not, explain it to them or send me the .Ai file & i'll convert it to a .Cdr (Seeing that I own both software's) - Just remember, that if there are filters & you want me to do it quick for free, you may lose all those effects -

Good luck to you! :)

scorpionagency, Jul 30, 2008 IP
  3. tripad

tripad Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks a TONNE mate ... was really helpful .....

tripad, Jul 31, 2008 IP