1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help! How do I make a form?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by mochilero, Aug 26, 2005.

I want to make a survey form with about ten or fifteen questions and multiple choices for answers. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Assume I know nothing at all about forms php etc. I tried a free trial at a form hosting place, but I'm lost, lost, lost. Does anyone sell an easy to use product? Thanks for any suggestions,

Steve

mochilero, Aug 26, 2005 IP
  2. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    HI steve,

It would be easy to dive in and do it for you, but stop and think about what you want, it will help you long term.

How are you designing your site?
    What programme are you using?
    Wher is your site hosted, and what facilities do you have?

Answer these questions, and then we can take it a step farther. ;)

Old Welsh Guy, Aug 26, 2005 IP
  3. Perrow

Perrow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And where is your web programming book. Any half decent book about web programming will have taught you this by the end of chapter three.

Perrow, Aug 26, 2005 IP
  4. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:

First question is what type of design software do you use? Dreamweaver, Frontpage...what? I think if maybe you tell us, it will help some that can answer your question as to what direction to point you in. If you are trying to do it by hand coding...that rules me out...LOL

Las Vegas Homes, Aug 26, 2005 IP
  5. goldensea80

goldensea80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's quite hard to answer the question: "I know nothing, how can I do that?". If you ask, "What can I learn in order to do that", maybe the answer is PHP+HTML. It's not too tough to solve your problem

goldensea80, Aug 27, 2005 IP
  6. robokoder

robokoder Peon

Best Answers:
    htmlgoodies.com

Any help?

robokoder, Aug 27, 2005 IP
  7. Stoofovski

Stoofovski Peon

Best Answers:
    I can make you a script easily, It will email you the data, or possibly store it in the database (but you'll need database for that)

basically its

<form action='link/to/the/file/with/mail/script/' method='post'>
    Your Question 1
    <input type='radio' name='question1' value='1'>Variant 1
    <input type='radio' name='question1' value='2'>Variant 2
    <input type='radio' name='question1' value='3'>Variant 3
    Your Question 2
    <input type='radio' name='question2' value='1'>Variant 1
    <input type='radio' name='question2' value='2'>Variant 2
    <input type='radio' name='question2' value='3'>Variant 3
    <input type='submit' name='submit' value='Answer'></form>

Code (markup):
    then in the file which we put in the link you need to get each of the values something like

<?php
    $question1 = $_POST['question1'];
    $question2 = $_POST['question2'];
    ...etc

Code (markup):
    $question1 and $question2 will be the answers user chose, then you either mail them to self, or store. Good thing about custom made script would be the possiblity to make all clear, and make sure user answered each of the questions. Feel free to email me (tru pm thingie) if you have any questions.

Stoofovski, Aug 27, 2005 IP
  8. mochilero

mochilero Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Pagemill.

I Appreciate the URL for htmlgoodies, but the tutorials start beyond my abilities.

I understand that this will have something to do with a cgi-bin, but I honestly don't know what that is, and when I tried to set up a form using to feed into it, using "step-by-step" instructions, it didn't even come close to working.

Thanks for the code, but I think my problem is in how to get the data entered to go somewhere, and then how to retrieve it.

My server is newwebsite.com, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any help again. Maybe someone can recommend a good programming book. I didn't know what html was a year ago, and I'm managing to make a living online now, but the technical stuff still slows me down a bit.

mochilero, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  9. alang

alang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    alang, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  10. goldensea80

goldensea80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I still think you should spend some time to lean PHP and HTML. Just go to PHP.net and download the documentation (*.chm format) and start learning. If you have some experience with CPP, it will only take you few days to study the basic. Then search the manual for "FORM", you will see the simple and easy tutorials

goldensea80, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  11. enetjojo

enetjojo Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you have to study Html first...

enetjojo, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  12. mochilero

mochilero Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys, but I think it's time to try something else. All the "easy" tutorials are written in a language I don't understand. They start with the assumption that you know what CHMOD commands and directory trees are (I don't), along with a dozen other terms that are unexplained. The demo link at http://phpformgen.sourceforge.net/ just gave me an error page, so apparently I don't even remember how to click on a link properly. Arrgh!

Honestly, I guess I'm going to have to go to a page with a form and look at the code for a while. If I can figure a way to send one bit of information from a page to my email, I'm sure I can figure out the rest with time. Thanks for trying,

Steve

http://www.IncreaseBrainPower.com

mochilero, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  13. cristophe@lawyer.com

cristophe@lawyer.com Guest

Best Answers:
    I haven't made a form by hand in ages. Seriously, save like an hour by using this open source project called "FormMail Generator". All you have to do is upload the set of files. The sourceforge page is phpfmg.sourceforge.net
    Good Luck!

cristophe@lawyer.com, Aug 30, 2005 IP