1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help. How can i get listed and optimized in Google?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by malpert, Mar 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Help. How can i get listed and optimized in Google? my web site
    is www.apictureofmyhome.com
    please send copy of answer to

malpert, Mar 29, 2004 IP
  2. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    There are really three steps to getting found in the search engines.

1. Carefully pick your keyword phrase. You need words that describe the page and which people will type into search engines when they are looking for the page.

2. These terms need to be used in the title of the page and in headings and content on the page. In your case you have no Title at all.

3. And this is the most important step. You need to get people to put up links to the site and use your keywords as anchor text. Anchor text is what you see to click on. In the old days this was "Click Here". But to please the search engines it need to be you most important keyword.

BTW if you don't have any links from other web sites pointing to your site Google will not index it even if you submit the site to them.

compar, Mar 29, 2004 IP
  3. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Hmmmm...I'll go further than compar and say that you really are playing with fire here

Frames?

You need to know what you are doing if you are going to be found - and you have zero in your noframes!!!

This site does not need frames - I would strongly recommend to "unframe" it unless you feel very strongly about it in which case you have a steep learning curve on search engines and frames!

Foxy, Mar 29, 2004 IP
  4. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No One has mentioned that there is not a single piece of textual content on this site, it is 100% graphics, even the text is a graphic.

In short, unless it is the lowest of the low in competition, and then it will be for a search term that brings no traffic. This site is a complete non starter and that is after doing some basic seo (sorry I know that is not what you need to hear).

That said, you can always google bomb your way to the top if the phrase is weak enough in competition, but it is hardly a basis for long term success, and from a usability POV, yuch

Old Welsh Guy, Mar 29, 2004 IP
  5. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes the site is really very bad. It's too bad because I think the product idea has great potential, but whoever designed the site really doesn't have any idea of the necessities of an ecommerce site.

Without a major rewrite and a lot of hard work this site will never succeed as part of an Internet marketing effort.

compar, Mar 29, 2004 IP
  6. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you found something that validates this theory? I had a discussion w/Shawn on this forum a couple weeks back on this topic, and am relatively sure a site that I did disproved this theory.

Can

GuyFromChicago, Mar 29, 2004 IP
  7. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well I still haven't been able to do get orphaned pages into the index (or even indexed) with the add URL submission.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 29, 2004 IP
  8. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    No I don't have anything to absolutely prove this. But my understanding is that even if you submit a site to Google, and they index it on that basis, if you don't have at least one backlink they will then drop the site from their index.

It is on this theory that we put up a link from our corporate web site to every site we host. I can't prove that this is necessary, but I can tell you this, we never ever submit to Google, but every site we host is picked up very very quickly from our "sites we host" links.

Why would anyone want to publish a site, or even a page, without any links. What would that prove? And how would anyone else in the world find it?

compar, Mar 29, 2004 IP
  9. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I did the site for them as a favor, they use print and word of mouth to drive traffic to their site. It's a "hobby" business, they just do for the enjoyment. I wasn't trying to prove anything, and never even thought about it (the site having no links) until I saw something about the Google submit being worthless.

I've since helped them with a couple links, so it's not an issue. Just more curious than anything about how worthwhile the Google (or any SE for that matter) submit function is.

GuyFromChicago, Mar 29, 2004 IP
  10. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    The Google submit function is totally useless in my mind. If you can get a link from one semi popular site you will get indexed faster via the link than via the submission. So why bother.

compar, Mar 29, 2004 IP
  11. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yep me too, I have had pages go into google, get spidered, go to number one, then pop out as there were no backlinks. With the backlinks in place and followed by google (confirmed from referrers) the site comes right back in at the next update.

I really don't see the point of the submit button, although if you take the time to read the notes for webmasters etc, Google tell you to get links.

Old Welsh Guy, Mar 30, 2004 IP
  12. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think the point of the add URL button is to keep people from contacting Google with "how do I get into Google?".

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 30, 2004 IP
  13. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Either that or we could start a new conspiracy theory that has Google in league with all the SEOs out there who are still telling their clients that regular submission is necessary and them charging them for doing it. ;)

compar, Mar 30, 2004 IP
  14. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    :D

Oh good one!

Welcome to the Beserker Club Compar

:rolleyes:

Has anyone else noticed that the originator of this thread Malpert is strangely silent? :confused:

Foxy, Mar 30, 2004 IP
  15. k.alana1234

k.alana1234 Banned

Best Answers:
    simply submit your site in to directory, submit article,blog, and also submit a sitemap.xml to google webmaster tool.

k.alana1234, Apr 1, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.