1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help. Can't decide between two home-page designs.

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by SmartStartup, Dec 3, 2005.

I have a new website going up. It's designed around a three column template with a wide center column for text and two narrow ones for ads and navigation bars.

My original thought was to use the template for the index page as well, but I'm wondering if it's too busy with three nav-bars (one horizontal one below the masthead and two vertical ones in the outer columns).

So I'm considering the option of a plain minimalist homepage: white background, masthead graphic (which is a killer, woohoo!), and maybe three or four key links for direct entry into the main sections of the site.

Why am I asking for your feedback? Well, one school of thought is that it benefits the site in terms of SEO to have a ton of links on the homepage.

So, go with cluttered homepage or minimalist design?

SmartStartup, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  2. Crusader

Crusader Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, the homepage doesn't need to be cluttered even with 3 columns. In general most sites use the 3 col layout throughout, so there shouldn't be a problem.

Crusader, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  3. SmartStartup

SmartStartup Peon

Best Answers:
    You're right about it not needing to be cluttered with the 3-column option.

But the effect of the minimalist option is very nice.

I'd love to go with it. I think that I could sprinkle it with just enough key words in the links and have a fine-tuned set of meta headers to make it functional from an SEO perspective.

SmartStartup, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  4. Crusader

Crusader Peon

Best Answers:
    Well the only thing would be to try it out and see how it works. After a week or two if you find that you don't like it you can always change it.

Crusader, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  5. jebby

jebby Active Member

Best Answers:
    Generally I think it's best not to have a doorway-like homepage. It should have some useful stuff on it even if it is a bit simpler than the rest of the site. It really depends on the site though. I have one site where there will be 1 of 4 things a visitor will be looking for. So my main page has 4 big links on it. Other sites you may want to have more content right up front.

jebby, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  6. Dalamar

Dalamar Peon

Best Answers:
    I have too agree with Crusader on this one

Dalamar, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  7. brian394

brian394 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think it will be too busy. I think index pages should have content, it makes it easier for your users to find what they need. Also as jebby said, I would avoid the use of doorway/minimalist pages. It just forces your uses to make that one extra click. Just my 2 cents. :rolleyes:

brian394, Apr 10, 2006 IP