1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help...ASP on Network

Discussion in 'C#' started by bjlaw1979, Jun 18, 2007.

This might sound dumb...am a beginnner in ASP coding and am tryin to design a intranet web application for my company. I need clarifications for the followin.
    1) what i intend to do is allow multiple users to access this application/web page. We have a server and i would like the users to cal the appl. from this server. how do i do this - do i have to copy all the html, asp and databases to this server?

2) if so how will the users access the application. we normally access a page locally using the localhost. how do i set up the users to be able to access these pages from the server?

3) though it is a small application there wud be multiple users accessin it at any given time. will MS Access be enuf (does it support multiple access) or do i have to go for SQL Server?

these are my doubts to start with :)

Hope someone wud clarify these so i can get this application started...

Cheers

bjlaw1979, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  2. ccoonen

ccoonen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    User and Role management, i would go with ASP.NET 2.0 and use their built in membership and role providers. You will need to point your domain name to your Server IP and hook that up in IIS to have X IP point to X Domain. SQL Server, absolutely. It might be a big kick in the buns for pricing, but I would even say SQL server 2000 is fine :) Plus, it'll be there for any other projects... and it is sooooo much better (can't even give you all the reasons why)

when you point a domain at your ip, and setup iis to connect the IP with your domain, it's just like your viewing localhost, but the domain name can now be seen by the world :)

ccoonen, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  3. bjlaw1979

bjlaw1979 Guest

Best Answers:
    domain name..??? since am gonna usin it only for ma local office dunno whr i wil get the domain name from...can u be more specific..
    well...asp.net is alien to me as of now...since i hv kinda started on this i wud like to go wit the traditional ASP for this project.so if u can help me out in doin the above wit ASP instead of ASP.NET...

bjlaw1979, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  4. JenniP

JenniP Peon

Best Answers:
    I also would recommend ASP.NET its worth the effort and in the long run will be easier if your just learning as ASP.NET do so much more for you, but I know where your coming from staying with Classic ASP.

Firstly, is your office server a Windows server? If not then none of this will work, and you will have to use something other than ASP (Such as PHP).

If its just for an internal office, you wont really need a domain name, does the server have a name? IE How would you access a file share on the machine?

EG

\\MyServer\MyShare

That would also work for the web address.

EG

Http://MyServer

You may need to do some fiddling with Virtual Directories if you already have web applications running on that server but that's not difficult.

To do this, copy your web application to the server it doesn't matter where on the server although it often makes sense to copy it to a sub directory of C:\InetPub\, change the IIS configuration on the server, to point the "Default Web Site" to your web application, if something is already using the default website, you may need to create a virtual directory.

Then you should be able to go http://myserver or http://myserver/mydirectory if you had to create a virtual directory and get your web application.

As for SQL Server, YES YES and thrice YES, bin Access its just not up to the job of handling any reasonable size web application. If you download SQL Server 2005 Express its even free (For databases upto 4GB and if your storing more than that, you should really be paying for it anyway).

JenniP, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  5. ccoonen

ccoonen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just hit the IP Address otherwise.

ccoonen, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  6. bjlaw1979

bjlaw1979 Guest

Best Answers:
    thnx guys..i will try it out n let u know.......cheers

bjlaw1979, Jun 19, 2007 IP