1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help a Non-Profit website with a noble cause

Discussion in 'Services' started by trickortrade, Dec 4, 2005.

Hi. We run a web site www.trickortrade.org which is something like RipOffReport except it's for purchasers of products purporting to teach you how to trade stocks, futures, forex or any other financial instrument. There's a lot of fraud in that industry and it needs exposing. We often get e-mails of gratitude from people who were about to spend their hard earned money on a crook and didn't due to seeing our website and forum.
    SEMrush
    We are in need of some SEO work to drive more traffic to our site so crooks get exposed to more people. We're completely non-profit. As a sign of gratitude we could place a link to your firm and saying that you did SEO for us. But that's all we can offer in terms of compensation. The real reward is that it will make you feel good You can e-mail us either thru this forum or thru the e-mail contact on our site (don't want to post email here because of spam bots). Thanks for reading :)

trickortrade, Dec 4, 2005 IP
    SEMrush
  2. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    You could get lots of free advise simply by doing a little homework through Digital Point and other forums and then doing the work yourself.

A few starter points:

1. Revise your title to something besides the domain name.
    2. Lose the red - it's not visually impaired friendly and hence not in compliance of Section 508.
    3. Add a robots.txt file.
    4. Put more content on your home and other pages.
    5. After you revise your <title> make it the first element after <head>.

Good luck.

wrmineo, Dec 5, 2005 IP
  3. palespyder

palespyder Psycho Ninja

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I am with wrmineo, do a good descriptive title for the page, don't spam keywords in the meta description, if your gonna use it make a good descriptive description and move the current content of it to a meta keywords tag. Update the content ALOT and make it be the same "theme" as your newly created title, description and keywords. The colors are harsh on the eyes as well as being unreadable by someone who has an impairment, add more relevant content, get 1 way relevant inbound links, add more content, get more relevant links, seeing a pattern there?

The whole idea behind good SEO is to make content people WANT to link to and customers/users want to read. Make it useful to your target audience and the rest is easy.

That should keep you going for the next month or so, in the mean time, there are thousands of basic SEO tutorials online, read read read and then read some more. When I started it took me a year of practice and reading to sift through the crap and find the meat and taters of it.

Good Luck on your Quest.

palespyder, Dec 5, 2005 IP
    Kaabi likes this.
  4. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Salient points both from WRM and Palespyder.

I need to ask a question, however. You state that you are 'non-profit'. Where is the relative listing on your site that states which legislation you are complying with?

btw, using phpBB and running the type of site you intend to run will end in tears (for you). phpBB has historically been proven to be insecure and has a tendency to allow a third party to gain control. You may want to rethink your choice of forum - maybe switch to vBulletin (the same as runs this forum).

mcfox, Dec 5, 2005 IP
  5. trickortrade

trickortrade Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Well, unfortunately I'm very busy with my job and can't spend more time on the website than I do already. I was thinking maybe someone could do this SEO stuff with me. I'm not looking to take #1 in google position, just some basic stuff. About being non-profit - we don't have an official non-profit status (it takes significant money and lawyers and efforts to get it) but we are non-profit. Anyhow, we did not receive any donations to date and probably never will so it doesn't make much of a difference. And as you can see the website is 100% non-commercial. Not selling anything and no ads, nothing, not even Google ads.

As for PHPBB security - if one upgrades quickly enough - that pretty much takes care of the bugs.

trickortrade, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  6. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Well no offense, but in the time that you took to post that response you could've already made most, if not all, of the changes suggested. You just got some great, free advise but you still want someone to do the work?

If this is a template site with 1and1 and you're not able to make the necessary adjustments easily, then you may need to consider another method of rendering the pages.

Filing for NPO status does not require lots of money and lawyers. Just like your original post, it simply requires some dedication on your part to get some free information and assistance and follow-thru with the process. Check with other consumer advocate agencies and if they find you're legit, they'll be happy to help you in the process of getting NPO status; it's merely a matter of filing the necessary documentation with the IRS, State and other agencies.

The fact that you are or are not taking donation, pushing advertisements, or publishing Google AdSense doesn't make you NPO. For that matter, many NPO's do these exact things to help fund their efforts.

Don't get discouraged, get determined.

wrmineo, Dec 6, 2005 IP
    palespyder likes this.
  7. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    So basically you want someone to seo your financial services themed website for free, you don't have non-profit status nor do you have any content on your site except for some posts in an add-on phpBB forum?

mcfox, Dec 6, 2005 IP
    palespyder likes this.
  8. palespyder

palespyder Psycho Ninja

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Well there is no need to continue to whip the dead horse, but, I think both McFox and wrmineo have great points. We gave you some good advice and those changes could have been made for the most part already. This is a game of motivation, if your not motivated to do your own site why should we be? I work a normal job as well, but, I still have time to do other stuff. Determine your priorities and go from there.

palespyder, Dec 6, 2005 IP
    mcfox and wrmineo like this.
  9. trickortrade

trickortrade Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Did you read the About section?

trickortrade, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  10. palespyder

palespyder Psycho Ninja

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Round two of suggestions...

If you want to be successful chase the "superstores" of your industry. If you want an example, goto ttp://online.wsj.com/public/us
    thats the amounts of content you want to shoot for.

I am sorry, but, if I was interested in day trading your current site would not be where I would look for it. The design should give a feeling of professionalism and well sorry to burst your bubble, yours doesn't.

You should be developing 1-5 pages, good well written pages, daily, make the search engines want to crawl your site, make people want to link to you, make the site worthy of the industry you are chasing.

Keep the page titles, descriptions, and keywords RELEVANT to the page content, using a title like About Us - Name of Company tells me exactly crap about the page.

Your content should be written for the human beings that visit your site FIRST and search engines second.

I realize that what were are telling you seems like alot, but, if you want to be successful at this you are going to have to work hard, some nights I am lucky to get 3 hours of sleep because I am working on my own stuff at home. My 9-5 pays my bills, my extra activities buys me toys.

But seriously, if you don't want to do it, PAY for someone to do it, saying your a NFP to try and get some free stuff is annoying at best.

palespyder, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  11. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Of course I did. But one page of promises doesn't make a website. Sorry.

Let me run a hypothetical scenario past you:
    "Say someone helped you seo your site, suggest places to remodel and rework it as well. After several months of work (for free), you decide you are going to run a few ads to 'help with the hosting costs'. You are able to do this because you are now getting traffic thanks to the singular efforts of whoever seo'd your site for you."

All their work, so what's in it for them?

mcfox, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  12. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Trickordtrade, I have some experience in the "nonprofit" realm. I can clarify some of the discussion on this term.

A recognized nonprofit organization, such as the churches I have pastored, has some extensive steps to go through to get IRS approval. A good tutorial web page on that subject is http://www.cpcwnc.org/Toolbox/irsforms.html

It is a MAJOR undertaking to get nonprofit status. It includes such things as incorporating, writing bylaws, filling out IRS Form 1023, and lots more. I think I'm correctly reading between the lines in guessing that this elaborate work is not your intention.

My guess is that you are simply creating a website that is not intended to make money, but rather to provide a free public service. My website (see signature below) is that type. It is noncommercial, takes no ads, and offers all the content for free. If that is your intent, just roll on and do your best.

I heartily endorse various other posters' recommendations to glean the expertise posted in this forum. Study the various threads, ask courteously for advice, and you will find before long that you are becoming somewhat of a qualified SEOer yourself. Then just keep applying the things you've learned to your site. The results will come.

Here's wishing your website the best.

Jim4767, Dec 6, 2005 IP
    mcfox and palespyder like this.
  13. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Beautifully put Jim, and wonderfully gregarious to boot.

Please feel free to add your website link to heres1.com and further, feel free to submit an article about your site to sitespromoter.com - what comes around goes around; you've earned it.

wrmineo, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  14. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Thanks, WR. I've added the site to heres1.com. The article will have to wait. We're off to Eugene, Oregon, this week for our daughter's wedding. I'll get on it after the Big Event.

Jim4767, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  15. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Jim - congrats on your daughter's wedding; have a safe trip.

Your link's been added. I'll keep an eye out for you article.

wrmineo, Dec 6, 2005 IP