1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Having Qs about Forum Database

Discussion in 'Databases' started by vengatowen, Mar 5, 2009.

Can we use same database for other forum?

support if I have VB froum, I'm going to create some other forum using other scrit not in VB, can we use the same databse from VB to the new one?

will it work ? :confused:

vengatowen, Mar 5, 2009 IP
  2. crivion

crivion Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    as it is will work only if other forum software its vb
    if not, you need a database guy to merge the infos

crivion, Mar 5, 2009 IP
  3. vengatowen

vengatowen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info, but still are you sure, the developer can convert it for the new database format ? If so, I would be great to do so.

4. e96

e96 Active Member

Best Answers:
    most of the popular forum software that i've used comes with free scripts that will convert the info from one version to another. for instance, i used the script that comes with Simple Machines software to convert my phpbb database to my new smf forum. if you can't do something like that, yes, it's certainly possible--just need someone who has the time/expertise to do the conversion.

e96, Mar 5, 2009 IP
  5. alexpr07

alexpr07 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, it's possible to use one database on different websites/forums even using different languages (ASP, PHP) as long as the script writer has the database info.

So you could have two identical forums on different sites but wouldn't you get penalized for duplicate content? Otherwise, why do you need to use 1 database, can't you create a new one?

alexpr07, Mar 5, 2009 IP
  6. vengatowen

vengatowen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm asking, as there is no users and posts in new as well as old forum. Little bit time taking thing to create each main and sup forum, titles des. etc etc.

So i wonder If could get any file that has only the titles of the forum that would be great help. Or can I edit and use the others.

Anyway thanks for all your suggestions.