1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Have you update directory to phpLD 5?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Forumdirectory, Oct 10, 2012.

which is difference than before version?

Forumdirectory, Oct 10, 2012 IP
  2. amiman

amiman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nobody should have updated their sites to phpld5 as it is not yet out of RC.
    Quite a lot of changes to the script, one outstanding one is the way the templates are done. Much better and very easy to configure for different page types.

amiman, Oct 11, 2012 IP
  3. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We have been doing a string of "release candidates" this week. We are on RC4 now. We are starting to do some of the first upgrades from previous versions to version 5 this week, and so far, going very good. Here are a couple of helpful links:
    phpLD 5 Features
    phpLD Videos about phpLD 5
    That should give you a pretty good understanding of what we have done. It is the most comprehensive update in our history involving over a year of work. This time around we have taken our time and done it right, and we are at a point in our development cycle where developers are making improvements to the script almost every day for months in a row. We are excited but also in no rush.

dvduval, Oct 12, 2012 IP
  4. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    no and I wont be buying another license either after they removed the free support access which was included in previous versions.

discover, Oct 13, 2012 IP
  5. cunghuong

cunghuong Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I am also curious to know relating the newest version phpLD5.
    If anyone has upgraded, please tell us how good it is!

cunghuong, Oct 13, 2012 IP
  6. falconlink

falconlink Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have installed RC version on my local computer and found it is nice really. Yes few differences in new version and waiting for the final release of new version.

falconlink, Oct 13, 2012 IP
  7. amiman

amiman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Still has FREE support by ticket system and users will help where they can on the forums. Any problems I have had I have always had an answer on the phpld forums

amiman, Oct 13, 2012 IP
  8. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, we keep up the support tickets very well. We don't offer unlimited free support, but we certainly help people after purchase to make sure they are setup and running as expected. One thing we keep doing is releasing new updates to our script without charging people more for the product itself. Many people upgrade phpLD themselves and others are happy to pay us to do that for them. Here is a more detailed explanation of our support. Many people require very little support, and they appreciate that we don't build the support heavily into the price of our product.

Going to repeat that we have avoided being in any sort of rush this time with phpLD 5. Despite everyone knowing we are releasing it, we actually have had some of the best months ever for phpLD from selling hours in our jobs area to selling licenses. This has made it much easier to keep developers improving version 5 without rushing to release.

That said, we are pretty much STABLE now. There have been a couple of minor discoveries since we went to Release Candidate, but phpLD 5 is working. We are upgrading some version 4 sites to 5. It is going very smooth.

We are working on updating the manual. We are making more videos.

Today we added a new feature (should be in tomorrow's update) where you can totally edit all the items in the menu bar from the admin panel. This week we are working on some additional enhancements to make template designers have the easiest task possible (comes down to editing two CSS files to make a new template). Rarely a day goes by without at least handful of new commits to our repository, and often there 10+ commits.

We are now continuously developing the script and have been for almost 1 year. Because so much has been done, we expect it will take some time for people to start using it, but it is going to start transforming our industry in the coming year. There is lot to it that people will have to study and learn.

dvduval, Oct 16, 2012 IP
  9. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think you better look into that before claiming they have unlimited free support because they don't.
    Strange though because when I paid for a license in 2006 I paid for access to their support with no time limit and then they decided to limit support for new and existing customers?
    The first I learnt of this was when I tried to logon to the forum I PAID access to and wasnt able to.
    They should refund every one of the customers that paid them for access to this forum, me included.

discover, Oct 18, 2012 IP
  10. amiman

amiman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I never claimed they had unlimited free support. I said they had a support ticket system.
    And like you I paid $10 for access to the SUPPORT forums when I bought my first script.
    You should still be able to get into the forums.

amiman, Oct 18, 2012 IP
  11. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    there was unlimited support before though and thats what I am talking about.
    they decided to move it 180 days for $5 without grandfathering in users who had paid $10 for unlimited support.
    Your Supporters Forum Access seems to have expired. It will reactivate for 180 more days once you purchase one of our products or renew it from your profile page. Access renewal will cost you $5.
    not only will I never buy another phpld script but I will advise everyone I come in contact with to do the same.

discover, Oct 18, 2012 IP
  12. karthimx

karthimx Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    when Version 5 Final release is coming out?

karthimx, Oct 20, 2012 IP
  13. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How could you logically expect LIFETIME support to be available for ANYTHING in life for $10?
    We didn't take away your access to the forums. We just don't provide unlimited support for free.

dvduval, Oct 21, 2012 IP
  14. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's getting pretty stable now. We really aren't in a rush to call it final, and want to leave time for continuing testing. I would estimate right now there are about 10 new people per week testing phpLD 5, and some people are starting to actually use phpLD 5 on their sites. One of our mod developers (bruleo) released his first phpLD 5 mod this week, and I know a couple of template developers will be releasing phpLD 5 templates soon. A great thing about phpLD 5 is the PHP code is separated from the design, so templates will not need to be updated every time we have a new release (finally!). :)

dvduval, Oct 21, 2012 IP
  15. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You are running a business, if you have any restrictions on what service you are selling you should state that and not just decide to change your mind when you see you can make more money by charging in 6 month terms.
    And actually I paid for access to the supporters forums, where is my access?
    If I have no access (which I currently don't) refund my $10.

discover, Oct 22, 2012 IP
  16. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Let us know your username and happy to make sure you have access. This was never taken away from anybody. If you paid $10 in the past, you still have a right to access.

All we did was make the supporters forum free instead of charging for it as we did in the past. It's not like you get ZERO support after 6 months, but if for example, you move to a new host after 2 years or need help upgrading after 3 years, or similar, we don't do that for free and we never promised that would be the case. I think you are reading way too much into what free support involves. We always have a limited amount of free support, but some things are not free.

We have some users who insist on paying us extra because they value our help, wanting to pay MORE than our regular hourly rate! I can think of at least 2 that have been doing this for more than a year.

dvduval, Oct 23, 2012 IP
  17. Astroman

Astroman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is it easy to upgrade from 4 to 5, I mean is it any harder than before to upgrade?

Astroman, Feb 5, 2013 IP
  18. dynn

dynn Notable Member

Best Answers:
    still using old vesion . need to upgrade later if there is a significant changes.

dynn, Feb 5, 2013 IP
  19. Alex210

Alex210 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had an attempt to update my web directory some time back, but i then decided to wait for the final release. Anyway, i`ve tested it and the biggest difference is the way the template works. I am used to the previous template system and frankly, it took me a while to understand the new one.

Alex210, Feb 6, 2013 IP
  20. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    PHPLD 5 is very buggy, the developers should look into it further (come on guys).

wwws, Feb 6, 2013 IP