1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Have you tried MongoDB yet?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by DigitalThirdCoast, Aug 13, 2015.

I know most of you are probably still on the LAMP stack, but I was curious if anyone had tried MongoDB yet as a replacement for MySQL. What was your experience with that?

Here's an intro to it if you haven't heard about it yet: https://urpad.net/blog/what-is-mongodb/

I'd love to hear some devs' thoughts on this. Thanks!

DigitalThirdCoast, Aug 13, 2015 IP
  2. TheMostCreative

TheMostCreative Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We've tried both MongoDB and MariaDB, but in regards to performance MariaDB is much more faster and more secure, but still MongoDB is decent and performs well.

TheMostCreative, Aug 14, 2015 IP
  3. DigitalThirdCoast

DigitalThirdCoast Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the recco. Mongo seems like a nice replacement for MySQL but we've only started tinkering...no really intensive use yet.

I'll have to give MariaDB a try. Grazie!

DigitalThirdCoast, Aug 14, 2015 IP
  4. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One feature that looks interesting in MariaDB is dynamic columns. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to index them which makes them pretty useless as of now.

What is the performance of MongoDB as compared to a large entity-attribute-value database structure in MySQL? MySQL is fine for the simple stuff. But it is severely lacking in features compared to other database systems.

billzo, Aug 14, 2015 IP
  5. HostDash

HostDash Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    I'd opt for MariaDB instead of MySQL and Mongo. The performance is better and Maria is now officially supported by cPanel which is the most popular Linux control panel.

HostDash, Aug 20, 2015 IP