1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Have you ever switched from Adsense to taking payments directly?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Mkcoy, Apr 13, 2015.

Have you ever turned a product or review site that earns with Adsense into a store where people pay you directly eg paypal/bacs/cheque etc? If so how did it go for you?

Doesn't it make more sense to do this to an Adsense blog as the earnings would be much more per sale (profit) than it would any Adsense earnings.

Even if you have a low earning Adsense blog, selling products on it where payment goes directly to you first is worth much more than an Adsense click could provide. (Depending on CPC and value of item you sale. For really expensive items anyway.

Using something like WooCommerce plugin for WordPress or some other cart CMS. There are some nice woocommerce WP themes. Is not too hard to knock something together that can pass as a professional shop of choice. Its not hard or expensive for anyone to have a professional store front today unlike it used to be for those with big budgets.

I've made some changes to few of my Adsense blogs recently adding on site buying of products and going that route in developing professional brandable store fronts to take payment directly rather than sending those potential buyers/customers else where and earning more in the process.

It's all about trying new things anyway eh!? :)

Mkcoy, Apr 13, 2015 IP
  2. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For every $5,000 you make with adsense you are probably losing another $5,000 by redirecting traffic away from your site. Adsense is just a cheap way to monetize a web site. If you have a lot of relevant traffic you are better off finding a different way to monetize.

NetStar, Apr 13, 2015 IP
  3. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For those product and review site, i rather use affiliate program which offering the similar product or niche product than using adsense. However, suggest not to review all type of product but only specified or niche product

lifeplayer, Apr 14, 2015 IP
  4. Ryan Kempe

Ryan Kempe Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Mike!
    Maybe transition a site by removing Adsense on some pages and introducing your checkout button / e-commerce elements.
    Test it out on some of your popular pages to see what happens.
    If it converts then conversion will only get better once you fully transition the site over to e-commerce and your users identify the site as an e-com.

Ryan Kempe, Apr 14, 2015 IP
  5. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I'd disagree with those who say AdSense somehow redirects your traffic away from your site or you lose money by having AdSense on your site.

Since I am in a classified site industry, let me give you an example. Check out: www.gumtree.com

Those guys have AdSense above the ads, below the ads, within the ads - still they are the largest classifieds in the UK. I am guessing, but they probably make just as much on AdSense as they do on their own paid advertising.

People are very much accustomed to the fact that most sites have a third party advertising on them. Even some of the big dogs out there have it.

The point is if your traffic is great any advertising is going to work just fine. Instead of concentrating on what advertising to have on your site, concentrate on growing your traffic. As the traffic grows everything else will fall into place.

qwikad.com, Apr 14, 2015 IP
  6. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well lets do some quick math qwikad and work it out. Lets say you have a blog that gets 10k UV's a day and earns you $2k a day in Adsense earnings.
    Now lets say you sell products directly to a quarter of those UV's a day and each one spends a minimum of $500 and your profit on each item is around $100.
    That's 2500 x 100 = $250,000.

That's a little bit better than Adsense earnings no? :)

Even if your profit is only $50.
    50 x 2500 = $125,000.

Also some of them might be returning buyers. If you send them to another site via an Adsense ad, what do you earn from that? 0.25c? And never again will you earn from them as they've gone elsewhere and got what they wanted.

Do you see how it can be much better?

Mkcoy, Apr 14, 2015 IP
  7. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    Well, that's a hypothetical example as I see it. If, indeed, you can make $250,000 a day/month/year with your own products, then you don't need any third party advertising.

And... not all clicks are 25 cents. Clicks range from 1 cent to $10+. It all depends on a niche.

Again, I wouldn't worry much about having or not having AS on your or any site. But if you believe it's a deterrent then removing it would give you a peace of mind.

Remove it, give it 3-4 months see what your sales are like. Put it back on, give it another 3-4 months see what your sales are like in addition to AS earnings.

8. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes you are right. I mostly work in tech hardware niche and CPC can vary from .25 to 10.00. Mine avg .50 to .1 I need to expand to such niches with better CPC but is fierce!
    I mean, first things first you need an authority site. Or something where the traffic is buyer traffic. People who already have their credit card in their hand.

I've already done that now there are some plus sides hypothetically and downsides too. The plus is becoming independent and building up brand awareness and trust. Also taking payments directly of course so depending on sales earn more money quicker. Down sides to it is have to add products yourself, have to do the order management and buy and send products purchased to the buyer and will have to do customer service and provide both presales and aftersales support but there is ways and means of simplifying things my son, ways and means. ;)

Mkcoy, Apr 14, 2015 IP
  9. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How do you figure? Adwords is just a bidding auction for relevant traffic. Generally if you are willing to pay $.20/click you are forcasting a return on your investment. If you are on the adsense end you are sending your relative visitor from your site to another relative site for a fraction of the bid which is a fraction of a forcasted return. It makes you kind of wonder how much money would you make if you were to monetize directly (ie. sell a service or product outside of an affiliation).

NetStar, Apr 14, 2015 IP
  10. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    Well, if it's a decent site with AS ads placed in all normal places (not in your face, screaming click me, click me) they are not something people go for the moment they land on the site. Hardly ever people click on an AS ad by mistake on a good site since they realize it's just an advertising unrelated to that site and they treat it as such. Obviously, if you have an ad right under your Buy Now button then expecting it not to take a customer away from your site is unreasonable.

11. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think that's my point... Contextual advertisments relate to the page they are on. If you have a web site about adult diapers and the person who lands on your site is looking to buy adult diapers you seriously lose out on money by showing them an ad to a site where they can spend $30 while you make $.10. The whole reason why they clicked on the ad in the first place is because 1. they didn't find exactly what they wanted on your site and 2. they believe the link they clicked on will give them the information they are looking for. In that case you absolutely lose money by detouring customers away from your site for a cheap measley ad click.

NetStar, Apr 14, 2015 IP