1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Have you ever felt ashamed to be a citizen of your country?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Naughty Son, Aug 18, 2007.

?

How do you feel?

1. I like being in my country.

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. I love my country. I'm Patriotic!!!

16 vote(s)
    41.0%
  3. I hate my country.

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Neutral feelings.

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    Actually you got that a bit wrong, it should read: Your nationality is nothing other than a result of your parents being at a specific place 9 months after having sex. :D

Roman, Aug 18, 2007 IP
  2. eXe

eXe Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have. I do feel ashamed of it often. The dirty roads filled with feces and debris, starving naked people on the streets, smog & pollution, poverty....I could keep going on

And not to mention the extent of corruption. On august 15th I was talking to a cop while waiting in line to get a table at a restaurant (overpopulation!), and I asked him what the penalty for driving without a valid driver's license was. His reply was that he did not know exactly, but he takes as much money as he can depending on who's driving and what car it is.

I am ashamed about some things about India, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate it.

eXe, Aug 18, 2007 IP
  3. PalSys

PalSys palsys.io

Best Answers:
    While I see your point, I think you're going a little overboard. I love Canada for what it is, but I most definitely place my family and myself above any sense of patriotism. I would never join the military and I would actively avoid a draft if such a thing happened - my life is more important to me then lines drawn on a map or another man's war.

What are you talking about "brainwashed", that's a ridiculous thing to say. Canada, for what it's worth, is very patriotic in general. Our July 1st celebrations are as big as your's on July 4th, we joke and laugh about the humorous stereotypes, we all love hockey, etc. You threw that line out there like it meant something :rolleyes:

As far as your second paragraph, I don't begrudge you your pride in your country; to each his own. I'm proud that your proud. And I have no idea what "pound sand" means.

PalSys, Aug 18, 2007 IP
  4. BPmedia-David

BPmedia-David Peon

Best Answers:
    I love the US, but sometimes I'm ashamed at what my country does. I've never been ashamed to live here, but sometimes our government just makes me put my head down :(. For the most part though, its a great place to be, and a good country.

BPmedia-David, Aug 18, 2007 IP
  5. wyattt

wyattt Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've never been ashamed to be a citizen of my country, and while I have questioned some of the views of the government at times, I will stick with and love my country for as long as I'm living there.

wyattt, Aug 18, 2007 IP
  6. Naughty Son

Naughty Son Peon

Best Answers:
    Great explanation.

Naughty Son, Aug 18, 2007 IP
  7. DevilHellz

DevilHellz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nop. Israel. I'd be glad to have the opportunity to move to the US.

DevilHellz, Aug 18, 2007 IP
  8. PalSys

PalSys palsys.io

Best Answers:
    Have you lived in Israel your entire life?

PalSys, Aug 18, 2007 IP
  9. tushardhoot1

tushardhoot1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Neutral for me.

Sometimes I feel so proud and happy, other times I feel like its a put-down.

I'm a dual citizen btw, Canadian and Indian.

tushardhoot1, Aug 18, 2007 IP
  10. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Next time you see a big pile of sand, go over and punch or pound on it. You will then get the idea :D

ZOMG A FACKING JOO! And his breath smells like palestinian babies!

EDIT: Are you in the military? I have a friend in the Israeli intelligence, maybe you know him =\

ly2, Aug 18, 2007 IP
  11. BribeMe

BribeMe Peon

Best Answers:
    Iv'e felt ashamed over other countries that stick their big nose in everything :)
    But my own naah, only thing that sucks here is the taxes :(

BribeMe, Aug 18, 2007 IP
  12. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How can you feel ashamed of someone elses country? That's like someone committing murder or rape, and you feeling ashamed of what the person did.

ly2, Aug 18, 2007 IP
  13. ROAR

ROAR Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Of course, certain decisions may seem pig-headed... but is that sufficient cause to feel shame? I doubt anybody posting here had much to do w. targeting civilians, ignoring the Geneva convention, or anything of consequence.

"Freedom fries" comes close...

ROAR, Aug 18, 2007 IP
  14. PalSys

PalSys palsys.io

Best Answers:
    LOL! Easily one of the most humorous events in American history :D Reduced from a war machine to an impotent schoolyard bully - it's classic!

PalSys, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  15. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I actually dont know a single person who ever went along with the freedom fries thing. That was kind of embarrassing come to think of it. What was the other one? Freedom toast?

ly2, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  16. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Trust me, it existed. I'm a chef, my cooking is French, and when we owned our bistro in the Northern U.S., we got it all the time. You smile and die while people - and there were many - refused to order their "Thon au Poivre," (tuna, treated like a pepper steak), steak frites, or "Poussin à la Grandmère" (roast young chicken, "grandmother's style") without saying "Freedom Fries." One of the most idiotic groupthink things to spawn itself in modern history.

"Thon au Poivre" with "Freedom Fries."

[​IMG]

To the subject of this thread (at least, to the debate over "nationalism" v. "individualism"), I think it is impossible to rid oneself entirely of collective feeling. It is intrinsically human, at least if Jung and Co. had anything right in their work. To proclaim one is utterly individualistic, without any communal sensation of any kind, is to hazard only repression, in my mind, not to proclaim the truth. Entirely my opinion only, of course, and I admit I may be utterly wrong.

I am deeply proud of much of American history and what we have accomplished as a people; As much as I may bitch about certain aspects of daily life in America (mostly, a consumerist society gone insane for more, more, more), I love my fellow citizens. I am also ashamed of some things my country has done - and when I am ashamed, it is mostly a shame of disappointment, because it perverts the promise that America represented at its founding.

On balance, I believe we are a vital, good and optimistic people. If also young.

northpointaiki, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  17. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    Do you guys ever watch prime time television? Some of those shows make me embarrassed for my fellow americans.

ferret77, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  18. DevilHellz

DevilHellz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Pretty much, i was only 2 years old when my family came here from the USSR.

Nop, not in the military.

DevilHellz, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  19. AlTeC

AlTeC Banned

Best Answers:
    I am not a patriot neither I hate.. I like what I am.. and I am a multiple citizen person.

AlTeC, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  20. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure what I have a harder time believing. That you have a friend, or that he works in intelligence. :D :p

guerilla, Aug 19, 2007 IP