1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Have you ever bought a site?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by DomainMagnate, Jan 2, 2010.

Over the last few years I've purchased many sites and sold a few, usually in the 4-5 figure amounts. Overall I'd say it worked well for me, when I was able to give enough attention to the newly acquired sites and had a clear plan to promote, improve them. Or just help them for a long enough time to earn my money back. However there were some bad deal as well.

I see this "trend" is picking up, many webmasters, as well as investors, are looking to acquiring some new web properties now.
    But another trend I see is frequently people buy sites only to sell them less a few months later..

So I'm just curious to get some feedback here from you guys, have you bought a site? How did they work for you?

DomainMagnate, Jan 2, 2010 IP
    Foggy likes this.
  2. Whippet75

Whippet75 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good topic...I fall into the above category. I have sold sites up to a value of $1k. However, recently my main preference is to "flip" sites for a short term profit.

The market is buoyant and if you buy wisely, and are prepared to do a little SEO/linkbuilding, then there is always money to be made.

I buy sites cheap, spend a bit of time building links (say one month), wait for a PR update, then sell...linkbuilding adds value to the site.

Whippet75, Jan 2, 2010 IP
    DomainMagnate likes this.
  3. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I never really bought sites with the intention to flip, but I see that is quite popular now, lots of ebooks and membership sites on that topic. That should work well also since I see smaller sites sell quite cheap on DP so if you have ways to find good buyers there is some decent $$ to be made on the difference

4. khu84

khu84 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hoon, never thought of selling or purchasing any sites etc.. But if a site is giving good revenue why would someone sell it..

khu84, Jan 2, 2010 IP
  5. DomainMagnate

Best Answers:
    Why do people ever sell anything? To get money now :D

6. Sensei.Design

Sensei.Design Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well in generel I'm building my own sites and I keep them, even though I think about selling them from time to time. But right now for example I'm also looking for cheap sites to buy. Because I don't have the time to fully develope them.

I didn't decide now if I'm going to sell them again after a few month or if I'll keep them I guess it depends on how much time they cost and how much they are earing for me.

Sensei.Design, Jan 2, 2010 IP
  7. calcalmx123

calcalmx123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I buy and sell. The most I've ever sold one for is $2k and the most I've bought one for would only be about $50.

calcalmx123, Jan 2, 2010 IP
  8. Barefootsies

Barefootsies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes I have.

Some good, some bad. Some I was buying for the script simply to rip apart. Others for the domain. It really is done on a case by case basis and the objectives.

Barefootsies, Jan 2, 2010 IP
  9. d0rhk

d0rhk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've bought and sold many sites. In the beginning it was mostly proxies, because I knew how to make nice networks, get traffic + revenue, and then I would sell them. I actually only made them to sell them.

Recently I bought a new website that will go hand in hand with another business I run, and the only reason I bought it is because I wanted a pre-made site with traffic/revenue/backlinks etc... I didnt want to do any of the legwork in the beginning.

I think the whole "site flipping" fad is starting to wear thin. I alot of people made a lot of money way back, but now it's starting to get a bit saturated. Only the people who know what they're doing are making any money doing it.

d0rhk, Jan 2, 2010 IP
  10. DomainMagnate

Best Answers:
    Yeah like anything based solely on arbitrage this can't last long, but if you know the niche and know how to improve the site and increase revenue significantly, as well where to find buyers who will pay more - it can work really well.

11. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Normally i bought site just to park my unused money.
    Coz if i park the money at bank then the interest is too low.
    When i need money again then i resell the site at higher price.

mentos, Jan 2, 2010 IP
  12. insert

insert Peon

Best Answers:
    no, i haven't bought any site yet, but i'm going to buy first this month... any tips? :)

insert, Jan 3, 2010 IP
  13. checkblog

checkblog Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I bought many but i got low profit on few and high on other.
    But overall it increased my wealth.

checkblog, Jan 3, 2010 IP
  14. David26

David26 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I never purchased a site, but one time I was interested in doing so before I realized that most of the sites for sale are failures that do not generate much money so you are just buying a dying project. If you are a marketing expert willing to advertise nonstop everywhere and spend hundreds of dollars than sure you may be able to revive a dead site, but not everyone has that kind of time.

David26, Jan 3, 2010 IP
  15. Lucky_romania

Lucky_romania Active Member

Best Answers:
    Of course, i usually buy PR5 or PR6 and sell links on it:D

Lucky_romania, Jan 3, 2010 IP
  16. Cbrooker

Cbrooker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Bought a few and flipped them. Didn't see any need to develop the sites when I could turn a 20 - 30 percent profit in under 48 hours.

Cbrooker, Jan 3, 2010 IP
  17. Travis

Travis Peon

Best Answers:
    Only ever sold a few sites, when I wanted to get out of the niche due to a changing 'tide' so to speak. Have wanted to buy a few and get more into the investing aspect, but it seems really sketchy to me, and it seems like everyone is inflating numbers or never providing the whole story. It's very easy to mislead when you're dealing with intangible products, but hopefully with time I'll get over this fear.

I see a lot of people claiming to be flippers...how can sites really be flipped though, wouldn't it be apparent (as a listing was probably public) that it was just bought for X price, and it's not worth Y% more after 24 hours?

Travis, Jan 3, 2010 IP
  18. m_media

m_media Active Member

Best Answers:
    I bought a couple sites before and i did some work on them (new features, new design, etc.) and then 'flipped' them for a nice profit. However, keeping a good site and having recurring income is usually a better option.

m_media, Jan 3, 2010 IP
  19. .dany.

.dany. Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes i'm bought some site, some good/bad sites,domains .. and only i make money with this..

.dany., Jan 3, 2010 IP
  20. DomainMagnate

Best Answers:
    That doesn't always hurt. People usually buy sites based on what it's worth to them, not based on what the seller paid for it.

DomainMagnate, Jan 3, 2010 IP