1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

have launched my fitness directory! any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by The Club Crawler, Apr 8, 2008.

1. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:

JamieG, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  2. The Club Crawler

The Club Crawler Peon

Best Answers:
    far out, this post has been hijacked haha, Well again with the assumptions, I am not looking to make millions, I make a whole bunch of cash with my export company out of Japan. The website deal is more of a passion or a hobby if you will, that I stumbled into and intend to keep doing for many years to come. As a smart business man, (Who has made several of those millions that you just seem so obsessed by) I have added some adsense to cover the cost of running the site. I would actually be stoked if adsense ever made enough cash to pay for drinks with friends. or over the span of a few years paid for a new computer once this one is worn out. Smart business people, as you call yourself event king, dont waste money. Also I have no intention of hiring someone to "fix" my sites, I have figured out quite a few of the issues and am rebuilding the site, reduced the page size by 60%...ha funny you carry on about all our qualifications as if they mean something in the real world and not forum land, yet here I am, like many, many others with no degree in IT and yet I have a site that is attracting more visitors every day.

Now just to lend you a helping hand in an area you seem to be really inept in. This is how a forum works:
    Step 1 : Someone posts a topic.
    Step 2 : People read said topic and respond with any relevant comments
    Step 3 : no wait that is all the steps there are! no mention of trolling forums trying to get a rise out of people of gloat in order to elevate your miniscule ego.

Now I am going to add you to my ignore list, so see ya!

*who wants to bet Eventking replies to me after I have ignored him?

The Club Crawler, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  3. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    jg,

JG - I'm not hiding from anyone, apart from nutters like you. But the UK knows who I am now, press release published in a national paper with a readership of 7 million isn't hiding. You are just a webmaster and that's all you will ever be I'm afraid, oh well.....

Event_King, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  4. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

First you want to see my link as you put it, then you ridicule me, and you expect me to give you what you want. And seeing as this proof thing means so much to you all, I've decided to NOT give you what you want - because you crave it!

This thread could have been very useful, instead because of a few genuinely well-meant comments about your various sites, these were so taken the wrong way, and look what the thread has turned into now. Hardly helpful and you're showing the opposite of professional webmastery, certainly not your superiority or Guru status.

I could go the whole way and really rip all your sites to bits, then you will really know that I'm serious. I mean you are all so pissed at me, when all I said was that guy's Club site was slow and he had too many adsense blocks on it. But if you want me to really disect your site/s, fine, but I doubt you have the maturity to accept it as helpful criticism.

Problem is so many of you are 'brainwashed' to such an extent, it would be difficult for anyone to encourage you all to change your thinking about the web.

But like I say, that's your problem.

5. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Club Crawler - Why waste your time on the web or forums if you have it made with many millions? - hmmmm, something isn't right about your post.

There is no mention of a website for any export business.... Just directories. Infact, why bother with little sideline websites when you have so much money. This just seems a little strange to me, and am shocked that a guy like you can't afford to shell out a few hundred on a better operating website - do you see what I'm saying.

But just because someone runs an export business does not make them good on the web..

6. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not only this thread but many have turned into a pathetic episode of mine is bigger than yours staring beavis and buthead.

DownUnder, Apr 15, 2008 IP
    swedal and The Club Crawler like this.
  7. The Club Crawler

The Club Crawler Peon

Best Answers:
    So true, but there are some good people on here, have received a bunch of great info and feedback!

lmao @ Beavis & Butthead remark!

The Club Crawler, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  8. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Yup, I agree DownUnder - 100% totally agree. So lets get some sort of useful discussion going, which I attempted to do from the off.

I was going through some past posts from my forum and there was an interesting one about The Fate of General directory models

It started off by saying:

My thoughts:

This is why general directories aren't newsworthy anymore. You need an edge to do well, a gimmick, like say Gimpsy have got. Or be niche, but even niche directories need something special that sets them apart from the rest.

But Yell, Thomson etc are directory publishing company and whether are recognised as a directory or not - will survive. They have tons of cash to spend on advertising, so can get away with maintaining a general model, and others sadly won't.

Yell can get away with being 'General' because they launched the idea first, and people became hooked - it was new, exciting and cheap. That's why it worked.

I'd be interested to know what members thoughts are on this, although some will disagree to protect their general directories - so this post isn't one for them.

9. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    In addition:

Another directory died. Got an email saying:

lol - that's funny, as this particular guy was a spammer. There are many stories like this floating about on forums, and it proves one thing - this clearly doesn't work.

Top Reasons Why General Directories are Bad:

1. Most are set up for well, not very nice reasons and others are just cash extractors.

2. They run them for like 2 years, make no cash and cry when they sunk all their cash and it fails.

3. They aren't targeted and try and cover the world when they can't handle it.

4. Many ask for too much in Fees with little offering in return for advertisers

5. No visitors - can't charge for listings

Overall, some good reasons for failure are:

1. Lack of Profit
    2. No operating capital
    3. The directory idea was useless
    4. Webmaster followed useless advice

Feel free to jump in....

10. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I live in the UK and have never heard of you. :confused: What press release are you on about? :confused: And finally, why are you afraid to post links to your achievements?

JamieG, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  11. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi Jamie,

Nice to hear from a fellow Brit. You will have heard of the Daily Mirror then - you perhaps don't either read it or you missed the business page section.

No matter as I was in it. 4 other national papers are interested, many regionals are too. Several industry magazines and the top magazine in the country for it's subject will be running the story this month, I thnk the date is end of April for early May edition - it also goes into the same publication's web newsletter too, so that's nice of them.

Sadly, there is a lack of UK entrepreneurs, and the press love the UK web folks with genuinely good services, which was why a major paper ran my story complete with photo-shoot and I was the main feature story as well. A couple of Radio stations have been contacted, but they are waiting for more press stories before they will do interviews and phone-ins. Ofcourse nothings guaranteed.

Unfortunately Time Out magazine were only covering London website companies, so I missed out there that time around - but it happens :cool:
    A regional paper was going to publish, but ran out of room for that month (there is a lot of this with the press though :rolleyes:).

The press is not an instant thing, it has taken about 6 months just to get to the stage I'm at now with the media. Sticking up a website is a huge gamble, but if you get it right, you should do well media-wise, but ofcourse it's not that simple - even with a good idea, the igniter is missing, is incredibly expensive and not all there is to it.

If you guys think you can learn this stuff on forums, you are mistaken as I'm certainly not about to share it with you, and neither will anyone else. Like I said before, the press won't run stories on every directory out there, and no press, no success.

This is just a little taster to prove I'm not lying, and am certainly not scared of the public knowing about my company. The web is the very last piece of the marketing puzzle for us, and is the hardest to do well, which is why I'm leaving it to last. I can get far superior exposure from the offline press than I can get with NewMedia at present, and forums aren't targeted enough for me to bother with, so I don't.

So I'm not here to plug my company, not here for the entertainment, as I can get that from my own forum, not a troll, as no troll I've ever seen would go to such lengths to simply be disruptive. I just don't like being called a liar, it's that simple.

12. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    It matters a lot to me, don't waffle, give me the date of publishing, the name of the reporter, etc. Don't waffle, give facts. Give me the url to the archive of the advert you claimed, even by p.m, I'll not disclose it. As much as you don't like being called a Liar I don't tolerate BS, so you have a chance to make it clear that your not the latter.

JamieG, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  13. imi_99

imi_99 Peon

Best Answers:
    border around every items does not look

imi_99, Apr 15, 2008 IP
    The Club Crawler likes this.
  14. wokaka

wokaka Peon

Best Answers:
    Event_king, you keep talking about this UK huge directory but why don't you share the URL with us so I can check it out myself?

wokaka, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  15. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    I understand why you are thinking this way, it's completely understandable, and if someone made claims to own a top site etc, then I'd ask for proof too.

I don't mind disclosing the url on the forum, but I will choose the timing of that, and no amount of disbelief from members here will force me to change when I do that. I'm simply waiting for the offline PR to take effect before I announce this on the web, never mind web forums or blogs etc.

Having set up a search engine before, I know from experience that hitting the web too early on is a big mistake, as many will ask exactly what you are asking, and it's just better for my company to have more press stories behind it, rather than me saying "I have a great directory" - along with most others on the web who don't establish themselves at all.

Even though the site is well established (6 years on the web), we have been getting requests from people, businesses and users about official launch dates, future expansion, current promotional efforts etc, and I would just prefer to get that sorted first, then we have some good proof and seriousness about us. Some want to see press stuff first, as they may not feel secure buying advertising in a new service without some reassurance of being established - after all many sites go bust in the first 3 years, so who wants to spend hundreds on advertising, to then see their advert vanish, along with their cash.

But I will display the url when the press stuff is out the way.

Event_King, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  16. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    When you put it that way I can actually agree with you that announcing anything on here can be detrimental. Take the stance that I do, you don't have anything to prove to anyone here even though they make it out to be the opposite.

There are a few very good people here, I'm not going to name them openly, I'd gladly p.m who they are. The rest, they're either kids who think they know it or all, or middle aged people who claim they've worked for fortune 500 companies but choose to sit in front of a computer desperately trying to make that extra dollar to prop up their state benefits.

I look forward to seeing what you have to offer and sincerely hope that it does live up to the way you've bigged it up, if in doubt don't ever post about it here because as sure as the sun sets people here will take great pleasure in going for jugular.

JamieG, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  17. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes I completely agree with you Jamie. I used to tell many about my engine, projects, business and got nothing but nasty remarks about it 'failing', and ofcourse the old favourite of "Does it make any money, well what are doing working for us then" etc. I just get sick of that, so now I hardly mention it at all as I know the response and now I just say I work in publishing.....

-- it's just easier.....

Only reason I mentioned it here at all, was to put over that I know a great deal about this, without revealing too much - because of the criticism and jealousy out there.

yes, if you would be so kind as to PM them to me, Thanks!

PS - I've always wondered, what is a fortune 500 company?

regards

Event_King, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  18. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Will p.m you on my thoughts.

Fortune 500 companies are America's top ranking companies. Just like we have the footsie in the UK.

JamieG, Apr 18, 2008 IP
  19. baybossplaya

baybossplaya Active Member

Best Answers:
    it looks great. good job. ignore the jealous haters and keep doing your thang.

baybossplaya, Apr 18, 2008 IP
    The Club Crawler likes this.
  20. The Club Crawler

The Club Crawler Peon

Best Answers:
    cheers for the feedback, it al seems to be taking off real nicely now, getting a bunch of sites submitted daily, plus the blog is getting a whole mess of traffic!

The Club Crawler, Apr 24, 2008 IP