1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

have i been ripped off?

Discussion in 'Appraisals' started by welshmullen, Apr 12, 2011.

ok so iv just ordered my first article for my website, the guy who i ordered it off was not the best english speaker, but he told me he had a team of writers that were perfect english speakers!

now i have my article and it is pretty bad, i will list some sentences that english speakers will see is bad. and im meant to be using this on a website for uk visitors!

Buy bird cages coming with a manufacturer’s warranty

Most of the first time bird cage buyers generally look around for cheap quality bird cages. But they don’t repeat the same mistake again, when they return back to buy once again within very few days.

how do i get my money back? iv paid him via paypal yesterday, and found him through dps?

welshmullen, Apr 12, 2011 IP
  2. gr8liverpoolfan

gr8liverpoolfan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Consider it as a lesson learnt and move on.

It is quite obvious that the person in question had no idea about what he/she was writing.

You could try a PayPal dispute but it is unlikely that they will side in your favour. ( since the thing in question is a service/intangible good)

Your best option would be to ask the person for a refund if the money involved was significant. But given the quality of content you've posted, I doubt you would have spent more than a few quid on this; forget it and move on.

gr8liverpoolfan, Apr 12, 2011 IP
  3. welshmullen

welshmullen Peon

Best Answers:
    it only cost me 3 dollars, so im not too bothered if i dont get it back,

i have just received an e-mail off this guy asking for feedback on itrader!!

hmmmm wonder what my reply will be lol....

4. rorymullen

rorymullen Member

Best Answers:
    From one Mullen to another, Do you need a writer?

rorymullen, Apr 12, 2011 IP
  5. Webby49

Webby49 Guest

Best Answers:
    Ha, constructive feedback for future potential customer of his - ones requesting English articles at least, he may be great at foreign language ones. I would say if you're looking to spend as little as $3 you're always going to get low quality articles. Safe options are to go with news sites that produce this content for webmasters, or to try and find a professional freelance writer who's first language is English. And request a some test articles before you make a payment to assess quality.

Webby49, Apr 12, 2011 IP
  6. welshmullen

welshmullen Peon

Best Answers:
    lol i like your style! send me your prices to my inbox.

7. welshmullen

welshmullen Peon

Best Answers:
    yes webby49, im new to website ownership so thought id take my chances and save a few dollars lol.

I havent made a penny from my website so am a bit wary about spending money not knowing if im going to get it back :(

8. Webby49

Webby49 Guest

Best Answers:
    Not to worry - it's a steep learning curve for everyone! Good news it wasn;t a costly mistake though. I've recently started up a small business of my own and actually write the articles myself instead of paying someone else to do it. It takes a bit of time but I manage to produce about 1 every 2 weeks - and I don't have to pay anything to do it. The other thing I am starting to do is trying to get other relevant industry experts to write articles on their area of expertise. This is great content and you can promise them a link back to their site which will be good for their SEO, so it shouldn't cost anything.

Webby49, Apr 12, 2011 IP
  9. gr8liverpoolfan

gr8liverpoolfan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Webby has said, it is a steep learning curve for everyone.

I'll only say one thing- you need to spend money to earn money. If you don't want to spend in your initial days, you'll have to invest more of your time, and you'll take that little bit longer to taste success. Keep at it though- the road isn't easy and loads of people tend to drop out half way.

gr8liverpoolfan, Apr 12, 2011 IP
  10. mmads

mmads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can't believe that you started a thread with the title "Have I been ripped off", and you lost $3.00 on a transaction. The best part about this is that you didn't even lose anything, because it sounds like you got exactly what you paid for.

I freelance myself and love how surprised people are when I tell them my prices because they are so used to outsourced prices. Your experience is very typical and is going to keep happening unless you step your game up. It takes money to make money for the most part around here. It takes at least $0.02 / word to grab a decent article written in proper English IMO.

If you do not have the money than you may need to write the articles yourself. If you do not want to write the articles yourself then you just found out being a webmaster is not as easy of an income as you thought. You may be able to do this from home, but it still takes work.

mmads, Apr 18, 2011 IP
  11. Jamessmithiv

Jamessmithiv Member

Best Answers:
    Quality is the key, most readers will not continue reading a page if the words do not make sense. There are a lot of individuals who say they can write articles, just to get paid, lol.

The fact of the matter is, if you want visitors to start showing up, you will need to write your own content or buy it from a professional. One of the best things about using a professional is that if they are any good, they will save you so much time because there is more to getting visitors than just writing articles.

Just learning the basics could take you years, depending on your devotion but you can learn a lot here.

Jamessmithiv, Apr 18, 2011 IP
  12. India Forum

India Forum Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can send a email and describe your situation, it will effect.

India Forum, Apr 18, 2011 IP
  13. ekosearch

ekosearch Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd try using a paypal dispute, if the service was described as being well written, grammatically correct, etc, and it's clearly not then you can dispute not recieving the service advertised

ekosearch, Apr 19, 2011 IP
  14. cybella28

cybella28 Peon

Best Answers:
    Luckily, you only lost three dollars which is not even worth filing a paypal dispute for. In the 15 - 20 minutes it takes to file a dispute you could have written a good quality article that will generate possibly hundreds of dollars for your site. The best thing it learn from this experience. Do not let this situation discourage or bring you down.

When I first started internet marketing I was lazy and did not want to write my own articles so I went to GAF and outsourced a couple hundred articles and while these articles were okay they were not what I was looking for. I learned what everyone else here in this thread is saying, "you get what you pay for" and when online your article is like a spokesperson for your website and if its not well written very few people will bother clicking the link to your money site.

Take the time to either write your own material or pay someone a good rate and train them to write what you need. As far as your current situation and future ones always ask for samples and leave feedback that fits the situation so someone else does not get ripped off.

I hope this helps.

cybella28, Apr 19, 2011 IP
  15. steveb

steveb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You get what you pay for. $3 is not much. I've lost a lot more money on poor quality writers. Expect to pay at least $12 - $15 on a decent quality article. But then again, everyone has a different perspective on what "quality" is.

steveb, Apr 19, 2011 IP
  16. welshmullen

welshmullen Peon

Best Answers:
    well thank you to all your replys, I really have taken alot of advice from this thread.

Jamie :)

welshmullen, Apr 20, 2011 IP
  17. 1812

1812 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah unfortunately Jamie, you got a $3 article there..I think you realise that now. I think the best advice if you can't afford to pay a true professional is to write them yourself. I am not brilliant at that but if you put your mind to it you'll be surprised, it's not that difficult. Time consuming that's all.

1812, Apr 20, 2011 IP
  18. sambling

sambling Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    $3 is pretty cheap- If you spend half an hour updating it then it would still be cheap.

sambling, Apr 24, 2011 IP
  19. sambling

sambling Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I did a paypal dispute type thing for some scam and it worked for me.:)

sambling, Apr 24, 2011 IP