1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Has Yahoo messed up?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by Arnie, Jun 11, 2005.

?

Do you think a "global internet community constituion" would be good and neccessary?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    29.8%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    38.3%
  3. Don't know

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  4. What's that?

14 vote(s)
    29.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, as things in the internet community are progressing, isn't it time to discuss about a "global internet community constitution" so that the big players can be restricted with activities like we've seen with Y recently???

We need international guidelines of good conduct which are legally binding and - No Monkey Freedom -;)
    SEMrush
    I'm aware that this is going to take a long time, but I'm sure that sooner or later we'll need it for the sake of being taken more serious as online entrepreneurs and for consumer protection.

Arnie, Jun 23, 2005 IP
    joeychgo likes this.
    SEMrush
  2. iconrate

iconrate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think it'll be necessary. People use engines to search for content, not really scraper sites...
    With top 25 out of 30 results all being scraper for iconrate buddy icons see:
    http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=ic...Search&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8
    It wouldn't be so bad if these .aspx sites actually had a link to what people were searching for but of course that's cloaked.
    I doubt anyone will use a search engine like yahoo where these kind of sites rank better than the sites they supposedly link to.

iconrate, Jun 23, 2005 IP
  3. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Has anything changed yet?

Here it has, - I calmed down a bit - thats the only change so far.

Oh yes, I avoid Yahoo search completely now, which was about 40% of my search activities before. Now I feel, when I even think about Y search, to dive into muddy water.
    I prefer the colorful corals in the clear sea of Google and some small directories.

Cheers

Arnie, Jun 26, 2005 IP
  4. classifieds

classifieds Sopchoppy Flash

Best Answers:
    Well I finally heard back from yahoo and I guess I'm just a low life SE spammer.

Any way I can get a few of you to take a minute and look at the site www.wakulla.com and tell me if you think I'm doing something inappropriate? Maybe I'm too close to it and can't recognize my on writing as poor-quality crap content or the photos I've taken as duplicates.

Unlike some of you, I've never gotten much traffic from these arrogant SOBs but its irritating on principal :mad:

I do have the coop and the Freebie bookstores (below the footer) but if that's the cause of the filter then they can kiss my ass.

-jay

classifieds, Jun 30, 2005 IP
  5. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    All I see is that you have Coop links.. Nothing spammy about the site. Looks good BTW.

Look, Yahoo is going to colapse soon when SBC does. I'm not too worried about it. There are nothing but shit results in Yahoo as it is. Who goes their to search anyway? I use their little messenger program and throw away luzer freebie email account for some personal things. Outside of that I do not "Yahoo" for anything. I usually Google for it. I'd be willing to be most people do the same.

Yahoo is just gearing up for their PPC Adsense type program. So they are cleaning things up a bit. Whoopie... There are a million ways to get back in the game.

So, that said, instead of everyone whining about how the coop got them kicked out of Yahoo (owned by http://SameBadCompany.com) SBC pukes.... Why not find an inventive way back in. Their filter is no bullet proof by any means.

Mia, Jun 30, 2005 IP
  6. classifieds

classifieds Sopchoppy Flash

Best Answers:
    If they are gearing up for Yadsense then this has got to be the one of dumbest moves I've ever seen.

"Let's piss off as many webmasters as possible and then offer to allow those sites to earn Yahoo more money." Yea right. . .

This little tiny site doesn't make squat (its my hobby) but the other ones I own generate hefty adsense checks and being called a spammer or having "poor quality content" just pisses me off.

Not to be repetitive but they can kiss my @!#% (SBC too) and I hope I get contacted by someone for Yadsense participation - it would be an interesting stress relieving conversation (at least for me).

-jay

classifieds, Jun 30, 2005 IP
  7. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Perhaps, but then again, WHO USES YAHOO TO SEARCH?

Why? This is Yahoo.Com we are talking about right? Who uses it?

They can pull sites good or bad all day, it really does not matter. How much of an impact has this had on my revenue generation? NONE! If anything I am up considerably over last month due to the fact that MSN and Google seem to be bringing in the brundt of the search traffic.

Wait, I do use Yahoo Maps.. Habit I guess. Again, who uses Yahoo for an SE? Their results are horrible. They used to be great about 4-5 years ago. Now however, they are worthless.

Anyway, I guess my point is, it is not the end of the world. It's just Yahoo.

Mia, Jun 30, 2005 IP
  8. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This may not be so bad to you. However there are some people who used to get quite a bit of traffic from Yahoo and did generate quite a bit in revenue. I myself lost on average of about 1,000 uniques a day.

Infiniterb, Jun 30, 2005 IP
  9. melaniejk

melaniejk Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi.
    Well, I am not seeing the same thing.
    None of my rankings dropped in Yahoo.
    They are the same or +/- 1 since I started watching Yahoo months ago.

FYI: I am not of the DP co-op.

melaniejk, Jun 30, 2005 IP
  10. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Very interesting classifieds, thanks. I wonder what exactly this means?
    . I am little pissed and offended as well. My site is a quality on page site as is yours www.wakulla.com I see no onpage problems with yours and am trying to figure out the same thing.

I agree the traffic loss is not worth the anguish but it's a pet peave of mine to figure it out :confused:. My feelings are hurt :(

Homer, Jun 30, 2005 IP
  11. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Arnie, Jul 1, 2005 IP
  12. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    -Pages dedicated to directing the user to another page - one of their guidelines. That's a joke.

Why don't they delist themselves then first?

They(Yahoo) are insane and need to heed for psychological counseling.

Arnie, Jul 1, 2005 IP
  13. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Mia, Jul 1, 2005 IP
  14. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Either its corruption, a lack of good leadership or even both that has taken place with Yahoo, they are preparing for their own funeral if they continue this way.

It's not just a few of us which are affected. The arrogance and ignorance they handle complaints are outragious.

No wonder that people leave Yahoo "en mass", top managers too.

We're talking about a multi billion company lacking a sense of responsibilty which can affect the whole industry.

Maybe that's a chance for young enterprises and/or geniuses to gain ground in this field.
    We'll see.

Arnie, Jul 1, 2005 IP
  15. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    That's just what happens when you let a phone company try to run an internet company. Everything SBC touches turns to S@#T!

Mia, Jul 1, 2005 IP
  16. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And like I've said before, lots of people use Yahoo. Don't just think Yahoo doesn't bring anyone traffic because you never got much from them. There are LOTS of people who are hurt by this new index, despite what you may think

Infiniterb, Jul 1, 2005 IP
  17. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I did not say I did not get much from them. I just said their results suck and who really uses them? When I compare the conversion rate on people who come from Yahoo vs. say MSN or Google, I find that both beat Yahoo out. The influx of visitors from Yahoo, which in our case is more than MSN, yields very little in income. Since Yahoo's results suck, I find that while there is high traffic and a lot of visitors, the visitors coming got to us because the search results are not accurate. What this means is I am not getting qualified leads/buyers from the get go.

I do better percentage wise with Jaydee than I do with Yahoo, and I see much less traffic from them than I do from Yahoo.

Mia, Jul 1, 2005 IP
  18. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yahoo does bring traffic and there are many who use it. Many who may be like myself. I use them as my homepage, check sports, I have a yahoo email and I check movies with them. It is a one stop place to find everything so I naturally would use them to search the web. Lately I have been using Google for my searches though.

Web Gazelle, Jul 1, 2005 IP
  19. wizardofx

wizardofx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My results haven't changed at all, but then
    I never did get more that a few percent from
    Yahoo.

My gripe is that with everybody else going down,
    why didn't my site go up? Isn't it lame enough?

That plastic surgery site was a hoot. It even
    says "for Canadian viewers only." :) :)

Best regards
    mark

wizardofx, Jul 1, 2005 IP
  20. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When I type my domain into the search box it shows all of my pages
    When I type in a single page then there are no results, most of the time it shows a complete different domain.

Does that mean banned, or is it a technical error, hijacked???

Anyone the same?

Arnie, Jul 1, 2005 IP