1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Has Quidco killed affiliate advertising?

Discussion in 'Affiliate Programs' started by ultimatehandyman, Apr 19, 2009.

Has Quidco killed affiliate advertising?

I have had a website since 2005 now and it currently gets about 50,000 page views per day. The site has been monetized by Google Adsense for a few years with no complaints at all as it has been great on my site. Recently I was approached by an affiliate firm that said that they could fast track me onto the Screwfix affiliate program and that I could earn 4% on all transactions.

I had tried a few affiliate banners in the past from a few different companies and they never really impressed me. When you log into your affiliate account and look at the programs that can be joined some of the affiliates claim that you could be earning a few thousand pounds per month.

Once I was accepted to the Screwfix program I inserted a 468*60 banner at the top and bottom of my forum. In the last few days I have had 136,80 page impressions and 77 click through’s, but as nobody bought anything I did not earn a penny.

Obviously people are aware that they can get 8% cash back through Quidco and so when they are going to buy anything they visit the site through Quidco.

I can’t believe that they will pay people 8% cash back through Quidco, yet they only pay affiliates 4% This has proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that affiliate marketing is a complete waste of time.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

ultimatehandyman, Apr 19, 2009 IP
  2. dlm

dlm Peon

Best Answers:
    1) Of course affiliate programs claim they will make you tons of money
    2) Most don't unless you know exactly what you are doing
    3) What is Screwfix?
    4) What is Quidco?
    5) Why would they be "killing affiliate marketing"?

You should have probably learned something about affiliate marketing before making this thread.

dlm, Apr 19, 2009 IP
  3. ultimatehandyman

ultimatehandyman Peon

Best Answers:
    screwfix is one of the largest online retailers of DIY and tradesman related items in the UK- http://www.screwfix.com/

Quidco is a cashback site- https://www.quidco.com/

With Quidco you open an account and then when you click through on a banner you get paid a percentage. This can be high and with some insurance schemes you can get back a few hundred £

This is an open forum and people are invited to make posts and other people answer, that is how a forum works ;)

I never asked for a lecture by someone that thinks they know it all.

The question was quite specific-

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

ultimatehandyman, Apr 19, 2009 IP
  4. SEO-UK

SEO-UK Peon

Best Answers:
    It's an interesting question, I've been wondering something similar myself before - but never actually formulated it into a solid, coherent sentence.

I'm sure there are (an increasing number of) people out there joining cashback sites - and I'm sure some are completely OCD about always checking their account before they buy anything so they can specifically buy through their Quidco/whatever account, but overall there's still room for advertising on other sites because not everybody's aware of cashback sites, or would trust them, or could be bothered (people are just lazy).

Maybe the banners were just not right for your audience... I expect screwfix' sales have dropped along with the housing market over the past year so the poor performance might be due to a changed marketplace too.

It would be annoying if they were offering different deals to cashback sites and affiliates though... you have to work harder to get a click through. Maybe it's just time to take an afternoon going through all the other forms of advertising and go with something where you're paid on CPM in these micro-marketplaces that have cropped up everywhere (I'm thinking the likes of adgitise, entrecard, linkshowoff .... I am not explaining who/what I mean very well here ... am I)

:)

SEO-UK, Apr 19, 2009 IP
  5. IT-STORE

IT-STORE Peon

Best Answers:

What a stupid response. Maybe you should have learned something before making this post.

OP: I agree, Quidco seems to get massive benefits.

IT-STORE, May 15, 2009 IP
  6. Seqqa

Seqqa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most likely taking you for a ride, and just scrubing your sales.

Seqqa, May 15, 2009 IP
  7. sem-antics

sem-antics Peon

Best Answers:
    its like retailmenot.com

sem-antics, Jun 25, 2009 IP