1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Has myspace been killed off by facebook and twitter?

Discussion in 'Twitter' started by Astroman, Jul 1, 2010.

A client asked me yesterday if I think her organisation (they work with teenagers) should have a Myspace page and I told her not to bother because they've been pretty much sunk by Facebook and Twitter. She said she was suprised because you can make your own website on Myspace, but I said that's the point - people these days just can't be bothered, they'd rather setup a quick profile on Facebook and talk to their friends using just a few lines at a time with links to videos and images etc... and some people can't even be bothered to do that so they mainly use one-liners on Twitter.

Anyways, what do you think?

Astroman, Jul 1, 2010 IP
  2. nirav5300

nirav5300 Guest

Best Answers:
    i am not using it from past few months.. dont know about others

nirav5300, Jul 1, 2010 IP
  3. Claymation

Claymation Peon

Best Answers:
    MySpace is just terrible compared to Facebook and Twitter.
    Who hasn't gone there, only to have their browser lock up incessantly because of all the animations and whiz-bang widgets, audio.....
    If I even see MySpace in a URL, I run away screaming.

Claymation, Jul 1, 2010 IP
  4. FlightCenter

FlightCenter Peon

Best Answers:
    In the eyes of most marketers, yes, myspace isn't utilized, but keep in mind the site is still a top 100 website on the internet, which means it commands a serious, serious, traffic flow if you can tap into it.

FlightCenter, Jul 1, 2010 IP
  5. dropagear

dropagear Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it might be a good idea to create a myspace page as myspace still gets a lot of traffic but Facebook & twitter should really be the primary focus, unless of course myspace starts to generate more traffic to your website.

It doesn't really take long to create a mySpace page so I'd recommend giving it a go and see how it affects your traffic.

dropagear, Jul 1, 2010 IP
  6. Promoman

Promoman Active Member

Best Answers:
    It seems to only be useful for bands and even they are going to facebook.

Promoman, Jul 1, 2010 IP
  7. Astroman

Astroman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know, but I think it's only getting traffic to the millions of pages already on there and come up in search results, simply because they've been around for a long time like those old geocities sites before they went offline. I don't think making a new Myspace page will get you much traffic. I don't think many people are heading straight to Myspace without using search engines like they are with Facebook and Twitter.

Astroman, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  8. Just Jump

Just Jump Peon

Best Answers:
    Myspace is dieing...

Just Jump, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  9. LynxMarketing

LynxMarketing Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just go over to Alexa.com and take a look at their traffic over the past two years and your question will be answered.

LynxMarketing, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  10. Astroman

Best Answers:
    Not really, all that will tell me is the stats for a bunch of geeks who use the Alexa toolbar. :)

Astroman, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  11. MarcusWill

MarcusWill Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think you've pretty much nailed it. Hard to imagine but the monster MySpace was just a few short years ago is pretty much dead and buried. Facebook is the new king of the jungle with Twitter gaining ground quickly and I believe will over take facebook in the not to distant future.

MarcusWill, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  12. Astroman

Best Answers:
    I don't think Twitter will overtake Facebook, there's too may people who just don't get the point of Twitter and probably never will.

Astroman, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  13. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    If it were my client I would tell them that it couldn't hurt. A lot of teens still use My Space and still follow their favorite celebrities My Space Pages.
    True, My Space sucks and not very many adults and businesses use it anymore, but there is still a market of teens on it.

hmansfield, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  14. sandenelson

sandenelson Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes for the most part, myspace is dead. Most people in that age group still have a myspace page, (which is why there is so many members) however they are for the most part, no longer active members. Facebook and Twitter will be monitored much more often by this age group, therefore that is where you should place your advertising efforts.

sandenelson, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  15. FreshFishDesign

FreshFishDesign Guest

Best Answers:
    As soon as Rupert Murdoch got hold of MySpace, that was the end for it. Whatever Twitter and FB were doing.

FreshFishDesign, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  16. Astroman

Best Answers:
    I know a lot of teens that used to use Myspace, every one of them uses Facebook now. I think the only reason anyone would go to Myspace to follow celebs would be if they had no choice, because the celeb only has a Myspace page and isn't on FB or Twitter yet, which in turn means they're a bit behind the times and maybe out of the public eye anyway... so the teens who used to follow them on Myspace have probably grown older now and won't care.

Anyways it seems like ages ago now that people were talking about Myspace all the time, and all those idiots were trying to make and sell Myspace clone/copycat sites, Mythis and Mythat etc, or Thisspace and Thatspace. I think if the cheapskates aren't even bothering to try and copy you anymore, you must be finished. :)

Astroman, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  17. dollarswealth

dollarswealth Active Member

Best Answers:
    Facbook is the bum. I don't know about twitter, but with facebook, you can achieve a lot. I have made a lot of money through facebook even as a Nigerian. Its fast to load and site layout is easy to understand.

dollarswealth, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  18. DailyCashSaver

DailyCashSaver Active Member

Best Answers:
    Myspace killed themselfs. They didnt update there template, it became outdated looking and without no new games or anything like that it became dead. People in a sense grew up, kids in middle school were using myspace when i was 13-14, now that im am almost 19 it has changed.

DailyCashSaver, Jul 3, 2010 IP
  19. paulson

paulson Member

Best Answers:
    Well Almost, Particularly Face book, which is at the peak of it's popularity and will continue to do so.

Here are a few facts about face book

Face book tops Google for weekly traffic in the U.S
    Face book added over 200 million users in less than a year
    If face book were a country it would be the world's largest
    56% of the mobile Internet traffic in the UK is for face book
    60 mn status updates happen on face book daily.

paulson, Jul 3, 2010 IP
  20. adityarvrjc

adityarvrjc Member

Best Answers:
    yes you are correct ,many of the users left it

adityarvrjc, Jul 3, 2010 IP