1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Has anyone used the <!-- google_ad_section_start --> tag?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by LaCabra, Nov 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hello all,

I have a directory where I run adsense. Detail information for specific listing do not register properly with adsense and thus get PSAs. I was thinking of using the <!-- google_ad_section_start --> to target specific content on the page like this:

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->
    ABC Company specilizes in leather raw materials. This raw hide and skin supplier may be able to provide leather hide supply in various states including wet, salted, cured, pickled, fleshed skins and raw hides. Typical hides available through leather raw material suppliers may include bovine, aquatic, sheep, buffalo, kangaroo, goat, reptile, lamb and pig skins. Please contact ABC company through the information listed below to determine the raw materials this supplier may have available for specific application.
    <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Has anyone used this method and can you tell me if it works? I have over 93,000 companies listed in my directory and some of them do not have very much of a description that is causing the PSAs in the individual detailed listings.
    thanks
    Frank

LaCabra, Nov 12, 2005 IP
    Dio likes this.
  2. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    Section targeting is best used to remove unwanted keywords/content from consideration, see my AdSense Tip #9 for the details.

If you're not getting good results, it usually means that there's not enough content, that the keyword density is wrong (you're emphasizing the wrong keywords), or (simply) that there aren't enough ads for that particular topic. You can't do anything about the last point, but you can fix the other two. And if there aren't enough ads, then look at the alternate URL functionality to display something other than PSAs so you can make some money in different ways.

Eric Giguere, Nov 12, 2005 IP
    LaCabra and Ibn Juferi like this.
  3. tangsem

tangsem Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello Eric,

Nice tips, can you suggest any good alternate URL for adsense, i need to get some to replace my PSAs on my site. Thanks!

Cheers!

tangsem, Nov 12, 2005 IP
  4. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    thanks for the tips Eric

LaCabra, Nov 12, 2005 IP
  5. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    Chitika seems to be the most popular one these days. I've talked about it a few times on my blog, check the postings I did in the last two weeks.

6. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    I have used targetting to good effect on forums. In my tests and usage I can get very targetted ads by just isolating the text and title of a specific post. You can even get ads off the general topic of the site as long as there is a minimal amount of relevant information targetted.

aeiouy, Nov 12, 2005 IP
    jcomm likes this.
  7. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree, I think forums and blogs are good candidates for the "inclusive" section targeting. Although, to be honest, you can use the "exclusive" section targeting on those to the same effect: instead of highlighting the parts you want Google to focus on, you highlight the parts you want Google to ignore. Kind of a half-empty or half-full thing :)

For an example of section targeting, see the pages in the AdSense case study I'm currently working through. The bottom of each page has a little blurb stating that the page is part of a case study, and I didn't want that blurb affecting the ad targeting, so I excluded it. Probably didn't need to, the keywords in the main body should be enough to "override" the blurb, but better safe than sorry...

Dio likes this.
  8. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah... I perhaps didn't elaborate.. when I use targetting on forums I include the title and subject of the post, but block out everything else. In fact on forums, I will normally block out the header and footers as a default.

aeiouy, Nov 12, 2005 IP
  9. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dio opens Dreamweaver, Ctrl + Fs

Find:
    Blog

Replace With:
    <!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->Blog<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Dio a happy man...

Great Tip - this is all news to me - I didn't know it was possible. :)

Dio, Nov 12, 2005 IP
  10. kawebspy

kawebspy Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks....thanks,..... but on my blog, the problem is keywords..... Maybe I need to use the alternate url for it. But I was denied by the chitika. i don't know what other alternate ads that I can use.

kawebspy, Nov 12, 2005 IP
  11. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    In your case, I think two changes are needed: use the "ignore" variant generously to comment out most of the blog template, and then use the regular version to include just your blog title and the blog content. I think you're including so much right now that it doesn't really make a difference.

Eric Giguere, Nov 13, 2005 IP
  12. Zinho

Zinho Peon

Best Answers:
    I successfully used the section targeting for inclusion on my home page:
    http://www.hackerscenter.com I targeted wireless security section and it now shows only related ads as you can see. It's not true that it is useful only on blogs/forums. It can have a big impact also on sites. (it can take up to 2 weeks until you see some changes in ads)

Zinho, Nov 13, 2005 IP
  13. Bryan

Bryan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tip, had to use it the past few days.

Bryan, Dec 5, 2005 IP
  14. ch1525

ch1525 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have just implemented section targetting on my site because all of a sudden it has started displaying ads only about blogs and marketing. My blog is a blogspot blog, but I haven't had this problem before. It just started a few days ago and my CTR is down to almost nothing.

My site is:
    http://classyclassical.blogspot.com

If anyone has any suggestions as to what may be the problem, I'd love some help. Thanks.

ch1525, Dec 5, 2005 IP
  15. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    You need to use section targeting to <i>exclude</i> any words that are blog-related, including "blogs" and "feeds". You have these in your sidebar. You must also exclude links that have these kinds of works in the URL. Do that and you'll see better targeted results.

Eric Giguere, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  16. Davilac

Davilac Peon

Best Answers:
    If I had a site with high CTR and 0.02 per click, I could use that to choose more profitable keywords?

Davilac, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  17. Dollar

Dollar Active Member

Best Answers:
    This thread is 2 years old..

Dollar, Sep 1, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.