1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Has anyone ever used moto cms templates?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by giacomo107, May 14, 2013.

Hello, I know it is most likely always better to have a site created from scratch from a web designer but thousands of dollars is a lot of money in the beginning stages of starting a business. So after being in business and revenue streams start coming in then it is more affordable to create a few thousand-dollar website.
    Anyways, I am thinking of purchasing 3 or 4 moto cms templates. They look rather nice and have a lot of different sites and styles. I do know to stay away from flash and they have HTML versions. I went on google and researched and most reviews say very good things about moto.
    However, I spoke with a web designer where I live and he said not to buy them. I am not sure if he is just trying to sell me his services or moto is bad. Is there any way someone can tell me and if they have actually used moto or if what he said below in an email is true or not thanks in advance.
    * This is what he said below,
    I have checked out MOTOCMS and honestly, it has a huge amount
    of flaws. I have tried playing with these templates for over 3 weeks now and
    these are the things I found out. I tried both versions html based and flash
    based like I told you don’t go for flash period but as a designer I wanted to
    play with the flash based sites. For you html is the way to go. I used about 6
    or 7 of their sites on separate accts. I will give my opinion.

There is no direct editing of the HTML code involved; there is no way to view the Cascading Style Sheets, and a few more things.
    This is a neat drag and drop application but it is not realistic for a professionally done web site.
    You are not able to view the code if it breaks and you are stuck in between the
    templates boundaries. There is no such thing as "page from scratch" (like
    you think) I cannot take the template you purchase and delete parts of the page or add in sliders or even make a new page and the navigation is not simple and very difficult. As far as I can tell you cannot even do something as elementary as changing the background colors. These templates are very buggy and for the price, I do not believe it is worth it.

giacomo107, May 14, 2013 IP
  2. shoogsx

shoogsx Member

Best Answers:
    I've never used moto but i do know a website that has thousands of templates that you
    can you use with great support and quality (not my own).
    it's called themeforest (.net) . you can buy html, wordpress, cms.... whatever...

i would suggest buying a wordpress theme since it's really easy to customize
    and use and it looks great, by the way google loves wordpress. their
    templates range from 45$ - 55$ and you get great quality with 24/7 support.

i hope this helps you! ;)

Last edited: May 15, 2013
    shoogsx, May 15, 2013 IP
  3. themes4all

themes4all Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the motocms is like the sitebuilders... at least it's the same concept... but if you know some CSS/HTML and PHP basics you can use Wordpress which is more Reliable, Flexible, Big Community, Lot of free and Premium Templates.. you can start with a Few Bucks... you can check http://www.template4all.com/wordpress/ or http://newwpthemes.com to get an idea about the free wordpress themes styles that can suit your needs... or you can purchase a premium theme...

Goodluck

themes4all, May 15, 2013 IP
  4. ratan1980

ratan1980 Member

Best Answers:
    used bootstrap framework make work lot easy

ratan1980, Jun 6, 2013 IP
  5. Angel Ramos

Angel Ramos Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes, I have used Moto CMS and truth is I prefer to code it myself better but I believe you would find Moto CMS fairly easy to use. Just drag and drop, you can change the color of anything you'd like, add soft borders and just about anything. If you want a slider just pick a template that has it and changing the photos is a simple upload. Take some time to get the feel for it but once you get the hang of it your good to go.

My understanding is that they're built with xml and php which should be SEO friendly unlike what I know about flash of other types. I teach a lot of my clients about ethical SEO methods and (I think you would be safe with MOTO MCS). Don't quote me on that last statement but I think, I wasn't the creator lol... I do know that you won't have a problem using it to modify the style, content and anything else you'd like.

Angel Ramos, Jul 11, 2013 IP
  6. Julia Blake

Julia Blake Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello giacomo107,

If you don’t mind I would like to share my experience of working with MotoCMS templates, which differs from yours completely. I am not a webmaster and I do not have my own website. I am a blogger, I write articles about web design and development. In some of my articles I describe website builders and how they work. That is why, I usually try these tools myself, and just then form any opinion on their features and possibilities. So, I have tested MotoCMS several times, as you know they give a free trial for any template.

You say that MotoCMS doesn’t allow to ‘even make a new page’. I would like to admit that there is an option to add any amount of pages you need. I have done it myself. Also you say ‘you cannot even do something as elementary as changing the background colors’ – this is an absolutely wrong statement. You can change the background colors easily, and even more – you can set your own background image. As for colors, this aspect is done just perfectly in their new Version 3.0. There is a cool absolutely new feature called ‘Color Picker’. It works this way: there are 5 main colors in the template’s color scheme, each has its 5 well-matched additional tones. Each of these 5 colors corresponds to a certain set of objects placed on the layout. For example, all your site CTA buttons are colored red but you decide to color them in green – you go to your Dashboard Design Section, replace red color with a green one and the buttons all over the site turn green.

Hope my experience will be useful for you, and you will change your opinion about MotoCMS, which is now one of the leading site builders.

Julia Blake, Mar 20, 2015 IP
  7. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Off the shelf templates, REGARDLESS of the CMS, are the road to epic fail... They are most never designed for what's important -- delivering your content to users in an accessible manner -- and instead are little more than bells and whistles, flash without substance, and seem to exist just to stroke the ego of the artist calling themselves a "designer" when they don't know enough about the web to be designing a blasted thing for anyone. While they may be excellent at scamming the suits and marketing executives who know jack about what a website is and generally isn't qualified to be making these types of decisions, in the long term they do little more than doom sites using them to at best failure inside a year, at worst long-term "also ran" money pits that are more expense than investment.

I don't know MotoCMS, but if it's typical of what most such off the shelf systems have the massive pair of main battle tank sized cojones to call HTML and CSS, wasting money buying them is one of the DUMBEST things you can do, and pretty much guarantees you will fail sooner than later.

There's a reason I call places like ThemeForest, TemplateMonster, and even Flippa "Whorehouses filled with sleazy scam artists".

deathshadow, Mar 20, 2015 IP