1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Has anyone ever heard of gimp?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Mommy_Traffic, Jun 11, 2008.

1. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Stomme poes

VERY dense :) - may be time to relax and go on a vacation to a tropical paradise ...... for a creative recharging of your "batteries"

SW = common IT short language for SoftWare

hans, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    On what planet?

But then I'm staring at 2/3rds of the posts in this thread and getting rost rfom de engrish moist goodry.

deathshadow, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  3. schizo

schizo Peon

Best Answers:
    I dunno...never heard of SW before...where have you seen that?

BTW deathshadow i enjoy your comparison with legos.
    If PSP is normal legos, then what is lego technics?

schizo, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  4. lunawebs

lunawebs Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally I'm a Fireworks and at times Photoshop users for web graphics. I know a lot of people (mostly programmers) that prefer Gimp as their web image editor of choice. For advanced graphic editing, I can't say for sure this is the best tool - but I understand it's got plenty of features, a light application and easy to use.

lunawebs, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  5. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    totally wrong time and place for april fools

Google for

SW HW

hans, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  6. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    yup I've heard of it, there is also a gimp that is a messenger app like trillion :)

Brandon Sheley, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  7. ankitsoldak

ankitsoldak Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Gimp is not totally Photoshop but there are some similarities with Photoshop, But actually i like Photoshop

ankitsoldak, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  8. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    You're talking about GIMP?? I'd say no to both-- well, it's easy enough to use AFTER you've learned how it works, but starting out seems to take time with everyone, maybe mostly because everyone starts out familiar with the PS/Paint model (single box).

I wouldn't call it a light application just looking at loading time. It's a pretty large program. Picassa by comparison loads in a blink, but then it doesn't do much either.

Hans, I may have to look into your link some time : ) But I am not acclimated to heat-- anything above 23 degrees and I want to rip my skin off and swim in polar water.

Stomme poes, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  9. BANAGO

BANAGO Active Member

Best Answers:
    GIMP is good.

BANAGO, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  10. Ben-AceofTech

Ben-AceofTech Active Member

Best Answers:
    GIMP can be hard to use when just trying to do simple things but when you need a semi-pro photoshop client, it works well.

Ben-AceofTech, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  11. comptech hosting

comptech hosting Peon

Best Answers:
    I have used gimp when using linux a lot of distro's come with it as an option for install some have it already built right in :) but if i was to choose gimp / photo shop i would choose photo shop hands down any day :)

comptech hosting, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  12. comptech hosting

comptech hosting Peon

Best Answers:
    in further note... I have a question for us all. If your a linux user and had the option to buy photo shop for linux would you buy it? or would you struggle along with gimp for free?

comptech hosting, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  13. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for the link, I'll check it out

Brandon Sheley, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  14. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What an odd choice of words, "struggle"?

I don't do any graphics work for print, i.e. cmyk separations, &c. For web graphics, I have not found GIMP to be at all lacking. Many posts here have implied shortcomings compared to PS, but no one has seen fit to be explicit, from which I'll infer they're talking through their hats. I use GIMP in both Windows and Linux and see no compelling reason to even consider PS.

To round things out, I use Inkscape for scaled vector graphics. A highly experienced, 20 years in the business, graphic designer tells me Inkscape is now superior to Illustrator. I'll have to take her word for it.

For command-line graphics manipulation, I use the ImageMagick suite of utilities. It adds the advantage of server side image creation/manipulation using scripts.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  15. mshore

mshore Peon

Best Answers:
    I use GIMP on a regular basis, but I'm so far removed from a graphic designer it isn't even worth mentioning. I think that GIMP had a bit of a learning curve that I didn't have with PS, but also with PS I probably used 5% of the capacity there, whereas GIMP probably gets 30%-40% of its features utilized. If you aren't doing print, then GIMP is probably more than enough for most of your tasks, but again, I'm not a graphics guy, so I can't say for certain if there are other PS features taht make it worth the cost over GIMP.

mshore, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  16. tsukara

tsukara Banned

Best Answers:
    Gimp is a good alternative in photoshop if you can't afford the license of it. But PS is more user-friendly thatn in gimp.

tsukara, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  17. dapplebub

dapplebub Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the link! I've been looking for something like this.

dapplebub, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  18. John06

John06 Peon

Best Answers:
    Im having a hard time using GIMP, the good side is it is free.

John06, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  19. OliverBlake

OliverBlake Peon

Best Answers:
    I have used photoshop for years and its much more powerful than GIMP. I used GIMP a while ago but didn't really like it and before that I used to use Fireworks. All of them have their good points and obviously photoshop is expensive but it is very user friendly and I don't think anything could replace it.

OliverBlake, Jul 15, 2008 IP
  20. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    I would stay with GIMP hands down. While there are a lot of features in GIMP I don't use, I invested time into learning it. To waste a bunch of my time learning another program that does the same thing, plus spending money on it, is silly. Same goes for PaintShopPro. My colleagues have it, if it's needed. In my company, we have PaintShopPro, 2 Gimpers (because we use Linux on laptops), and one Photoshopper. I only make better stuff than them because I'm the only one who can draw.

When you learn a complex graphics program, you spend your good time learning it. Whether GIMP is harder to learn, I think likely depends more on what you're already used to. The "pen tool" is an example of something that seems to work a little differently in each program, for instance ("pen tool" here means the vector-y drawing tool where you make and bend your lines before stroking them, not any imitation Caligraphy pens). But it still takes your valuable time. So, learn one and learn it well.

I also keep hearing people say GIMP isn't as powerful. I'd like to see an example, one which doesn't rely on the knowledge (or lack of) of the user.
    I can't make sh** in Inkscape, but that's because I started using Flash to convert my rasters to vectors (I blame the printers, they only want eps and ai files, teh f00lz). Your tool is only as good as how you use it.

Stomme poes, Jul 15, 2008 IP