1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Has anyone ever heard of gimp?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Mommy_Traffic, Jun 11, 2008.

It works like photo shop but its free
    i downloaded it the other day
    i guess it will take some getting us to.

Mommy_Traffic, Jun 11, 2008 IP
  2. jim_rei_mer

jim_rei_mer Peon

Best Answers:
    The gimp will only take you so far. Photoshop needs to be in your hands whether you pay for it or not. Except it's wrong not to pay for it.

jim_rei_mer, Jun 11, 2008 IP
  3. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program) is an open source, free application built from the ground up for web based image manipulation. It lacks the print oriented stuff that Photoshop is so famous for, but print targeted images are not needed for the web anyway.

See the book Grokking the GIMP, to read online, or buy the dead tree version at Amazon.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Jun 11, 2008 IP
  4. DomainCo.US

DomainCo.US Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I used GIMP before but Photoshop is better. If you don't want to pay for license then GIMP is ok

DomainCo.US, Jun 11, 2008 IP
  5. huesped

huesped Peon

Best Answers:
    Never used it, but a friend of mine which uses Linux says it is quite amazing.

huesped, Jun 11, 2008 IP
  6. Aron Schatz

Aron Schatz Peon

Best Answers:
    I only use Linux and GIMP is a viable competitor to Photoshop in some areas. You can still run Photoshop in WINE.

GIMP operates on many different levels than Photoshop and in areas it is better and others it is worse. Don't compare it to Photoshop if you've used Photoshop the entire time. It isn't fair.

That's like comparing Windows to Ubuntu and saying Ubuntu sucks because it is different (and better).

Aron Schatz, Jun 11, 2008 IP
  7. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    BS, unless you work in print. GImp lacks CYMK colours and 2.2 lacks anything greater than 8-bit PNG (dunno if 2.4 has 24/32/etc bit png, I thought it did). I do think the Lanczos looks like crap too... but likely I'm just using it wrong.

It has a, uh, unique user interface, which I have no problem with but if you've used anything trying to imitate Photoshop, you'll have to get used to it (or use GimpShop, which sets it up in a single window like PS and everyone else does).

Multiple monitors gives Gimp an advantage I think, since each part of Gimp is its own little box.

If you work for web and send stuff to print, you might notice the printers always want an .eps file (ours will also take .ai but I'm not shelling out that kind of money for something that isn't much better than Inkscape) and while you are supposed to be able to view .eps in GIMP (I haven't gotten Ghostscript to work on the Windows machine no matter what, but most people seem to get it working no problem) and possibly save to it, that will be a problem as you first set up GIMP. I've been getting around this using Flash as a crutch, but it's not a very good one.

Other than than, GIMP does everything Photoshop does (there are some algorithms that Photoshop has made propriatary, so GIMP uses other algorithms in place of those) plus whatever extras people around the world feel like adding to it (someone somewhere thought it was a great idea to add Python scripting to it... dunno why) like new filters (thousands) and additional effects.

Gimp sure started out a little gimpy, but currently it's a professional tool.

Stomme poes, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  8. CaffinePhil

CaffinePhil Banned

Best Answers:
    Its probably the best free alternative to PS you could get. I'm sort of getting my head around Photoshop so will probably not give it a look in but for free its pretty awesome.

CaffinePhil, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  9. mspider

mspider Guest

Best Answers:
    Gimp maybe it's free but it's not photoshop! :rolleyes:

mspider, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  10. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    Gary mentioned Grokking the Gimp. For an updated Gimp tutorial, there's a nice book called Beginning Gimp by Apress... author: Akkana Peck. It's good for when you're just starting out with GIMP and want to know what those stupid symbols mean and why when you tried something with a tool, nothing happened. : )

11. janet1

janet1 Guest

Best Answers:
    I had gimp and then went to photoshop and never looked back

janet1, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  12. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    To follow up on Stomme's comments:

There is little, if anything, GIMP can't do for web images. Unless you need cmyk separations for print, GIMP will do. My graphics person, a very experienced PS user, has no issues with GIMP when working in my office. She picked up on the interface from the get-go. Personally, I prefer the modular UI approach for this application.

The ImageMagick convert utility will, um, convert any image format to eps or ai.

Speaking of AI, again from the graphics pro, Inkscape is slightly superior to Illustrator. I haven't used AI, so can't compare, but I do find Inkscape very easy to use, and it's very easy to edit source.

@mspider: Photoshop may cost a young fortune, but it's not GIMP. PS for print, is superior. GIMP for web images, is the better application.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  13. BANAGO

BANAGO Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is YEARS I use GIMP.

BANAGO, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  14. kaushik nm

kaushik nm Peon

Best Answers:
    i tried using it .. It was hard using it :(

kaushik nm, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  15. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    It's still nice to take an .eps and open it in GIMP and make sure it was sucessfully exported from Flash or some other programme (like, I recently discovered that while the text Objects remained in the file, the actual font does not. I lost my Cooper Black!!!). If I could just get Ghostscript working on the Windows machine... grrr. Gimp should come default with postscript abilities anyway imo.

16. mspider

mspider Guest

Best Answers:
    :rolleyes: ...exactly for web images PS is better! Gimp canot handle some things...is just not for pro use. If you design sites for busines its worth to buy PS. If you need just for your own creativity again PS...you can get it free, trial, ... Too much time for low result with gimp!

mspider, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  17. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are getting a "low result" then that means you don't know how to use it. PICNIC.

Stomme poes, Jun 13, 2008 IP
  18. webmindz24

webmindz24 Peon

Best Answers:
    Its good while working on Linux..

webmindz24, Jun 13, 2008 IP
  19. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Apparently you have trouble reading. Try again
    Judging by your spelling, that's understandable.

It's a poor craftsman that blames the tool for his lack of skill in using it.

gary

kk5st, Jun 13, 2008 IP
  20. surfaddict

surfaddict Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not using gimp but for simple task i will used it but rarely.

surfaddict, Jun 13, 2008 IP