1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Has anybody experienced issues with vBulletin API?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Donny Frankum, Feb 10, 2016.

I am trying to use vBulletin API to basically generate same set of sub forums for more then one higher level forum. I tried to do this in the database with SQL query and it just killed my database to the point where I was forced to roll back. Thanks god I was doing daily backups.

I am trying to basically replicate same functionality as in channel management in admincp, but doing multi insert.

VB API sucks to be honest, it serves no purpose.

Is there a way to accomplish it some how?

Donny Frankum, Feb 10, 2016 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
  3. Donny Frankum

Donny Frankum Member

Best Answers:
    @sarahk - yes I did and I get sent around to this and that, which never answers the question. vbulletin is in deep troubles. initial development team left the company once it got transitioned to the new owner. they are having so many issues. recently vb got hacked big time, it was down for a week. all their releases come out with millions of new bugs... I see the end to this, company is going down. If someone big enough comes out and creates transition tool.... bye bye VB...

Donny Frankum, Feb 11, 2016 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think the problem is no one smart enough to answer your question uses vBulletin anymore...

digitalpoint, Feb 11, 2016 IP
  5. Donny Frankum

Donny Frankum Member

Best Answers:
    So agree with you :)

Do you know of any similar platform?

6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    We use XenForo here.

7. Donny Frankum

Donny Frankum Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you so much for your help! Looking forward to be valuable member here :)

8. Donny Frankum

Donny Frankum Member

Best Answers:
    @digitalpoint you are very popular and probably as famous as big Google people. How did you start this forum? I am working with my partner on something really cool. He is a programmer and doing all the software work, my job is to help him out with SEO and marketing. We would like to compete with some big guys out on the market by offering better programming and all that. It is basically for the forum owners to connect with writers. That's just the start, our goal is to eventually become one stop shop for the content distribution. It is long road ahead for us, a lot of sleepless nights etc... I understand what to do. Just wondering how to make it to your level? Is there something special that we need to do in order to succeed. I have writers following me and it is enough to get started, but how to find forum owners willing to pay. Where do I go for ethical links to us? How do I announce about ourselves? Where to find targeted audience, forum owners? Any information is appreciated! Thank you!

9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    We didn't do any marketing... The shortest answer is we offered things that people wanted that they couldn't get anywhere else. The forum itself really was just a support venue for existing users/tools when it was started. The forum was a necessity for the existing user base we already had.

Take a look at your site, and ask yourself why someone would use it. What problem is it solving for users. If it's just a forum, it's probably not solving any problem for users because there are millions of forums already out there.

10. Donny Frankum

Donny Frankum Member

Best Answers:
    @digitalpoint Thank you so much for the advise! I totally agree with you on that point! My biggest conflict is reaching out to potential clients. I will probably pay some money to advertise here once I am done with the first roll out :).

11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You've missed the point entirely.

sarahk, Feb 11, 2016 IP
  12. Donny Frankum

Donny Frankum Member

Best Answers:
    I understand the point. Sure usability is going to be addressed first. Its tested already. Without marketing, nobody will ever even look your way. I'd start with Vocus probably, press releases and other ways to make the name stand out first.

13. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Not usability - there has to be an un-met need in the market

I first "met" Shawn through another forum back in the days of dialup. The forum got sold and the new owners piled on the advertising and the site became unusable for many of us. We bitched but nothing changed. We still wanted a forum and had things to discuss and one day Shawn popped up and said "check this out". It was fast so we all jumped ship. The new site didn't have history but it had what the old site lacked - speed.

You need to work out what your competitors aren't doing and offer that. If you can do that you won't need to do a hard sell.

sarahk, Feb 11, 2016 IP
  14. Donny Frankum

Donny Frankum Member

Best Answers:
    I have an idea and I see HUGE need for that. Right now I am working 7 days a week. I only sleep, eat and work. Sleeping for me is 5 hours. I eat at my desk. I am sure you know how it is. Without busting your A** nothing will happen.

I also renamed the site just today.

It is a pleasure to get to know you. I will be good, promise :)

15. orrden

orrden Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    To answer your question: I too have been having vast issues with vbulletin's api.

Trying to so an sql query to simply display someone's username to them anywhere except the csm often displays the incorrect users name amongst other issues.
    If my forum wasn't over 14 years old and massive id attempt to convert to xenforo as well.

=/

If I find a fox for your issue I'll definitely shoot you a pm.

orrden, Mar 22, 2016 IP