1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

hardware upgrade in vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by miktor, Apr 18, 2007.

i installed a copy of vista in my old machine and when i tried to overclock it vista would give me errors. i purchased a new computer with vista preinstalled and i want to add more ram and a new video card but i do not know if vista will allow that. please help.

thanks!

miktor, Apr 18, 2007 IP
  2. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    what are we talking 'old', what was the CPU and MEM for instance?

it doesn't surprise me that Vista rejected it being over clocked. Can you even OC with Vista??? you almost need to in order for it to seem like it is operating at a normal pace, right! :p

VIDEO is very tricky. Make sure you get something that is certified to work with Vista otherwise you'd be screwed over. Video drivers seem to be a hot button with a lot of people who UG to Vista. Proceed with caution there!!

Not sure about Ram...so long as you keep with what came in the machine you 'should' be fine.

and obviously you'd never want to ad both items at the same time in case you have to trouble shoot

timsdd, Apr 18, 2007 IP
  3. miktor

miktor Peon

Best Answers:
    i want atleast 2 gigs of faster ram...i currently have 1 gig of medium speed ram and an on board video card...i am planning on getting something better and i know to check for compatibility

i think i should call the manufacturer tomorrow

miktor, Apr 18, 2007 IP
  4. etali

etali Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should be fine changing the RAM and Video card, I did that with XP validation without any problem. It only decided I was trying to put in it a 'New machine' when I changed the motherboard.

etali, Apr 19, 2007 IP
  5. ARonald

ARonald Peon

Best Answers:
    What you may need is a bios update for overclocking in vista.

Yes you can change your video card and add a new ram. You cannot change the original motherboard though.

Also do tell us your complete system configuration. Our comments would be of no help if you do not specify the motherboard model.

ARonald, Apr 19, 2007 IP
  6. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    the speed of the RAM is inherit to the *MoBo.

You basically have the ancient DDR PC2100(266MHz) all they way up to DDR2 PC6400(800MHz)

so you can't just plop in PC6400 if your *motherboard only supports up to PC4200(533MHz)

timsdd, Apr 19, 2007 IP
  7. miktor

miktor Peon

Best Answers:
    i know, i am going to check with gateway before i purchase the ram

miktor, Apr 19, 2007 IP