1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hard Disk makes noise and computer works slow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elvismoraes19, Nov 5, 2012.

Hi

For the past few days, my computer has been giving a lot of problems. Firstly it takes a long time than usual to startup. The system which was blazing fast earlier works a snail-pace speed. Ever since the computer has been working slow the hard disk makes a louder noise than usual(as far as my knowledge goes this is not the heat sink fan noise). Initially I thought this was a virus problem, so I've reinstalled the OS(windows 7) several times but this has not solved the problem. Any solution is appreciated.

elvismoraes19, Nov 5, 2012 IP
  2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like a bad bearing in the hard drive. If it's under warranty, back it up and send it for repair. (If the whole computer is under warranty, send the whole thing - removing the drive will void the warranty.) If it's not under warranty, replace the drive (after backing it up).

Whatever you do, back it up before it dies.

Rukbat, Nov 7, 2012 IP
  3. Hosting Geek

Hosting Geek Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes, I am agree with rukbat. Basically, there any two hard disk problem, physically and non physically. If your hard disk sound like that, its maybe damages in your hard disk. First you should be do is keep and backup your data, and then remove with the new ones hard disk. Don't use again this kind of hard disk because will getting problem in future.

Hosting Geek, Nov 7, 2012 IP
  4. elvismoraes19

elvismoraes19 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I've figured out the problem. The fault had arisen due to the Windows OS. So I've replaced the OS with ubuntu and the problem has vanished.

elvismoraes19, Nov 7, 2012 IP
  5. Mr.Funsocks

Mr.Funsocks Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If the HD makes a noise, I doubt it was because of the OS. Maybe you're using different sectors now, but eventually the problem will come up again. Don't kick the can down the road, it's not worth the risk.

Even if I'm completely wrong and the HD works forever, the cost of buying a new HD for $100 bucks is worth risk mitigation. d00d

Mr.Funsocks, Nov 8, 2012 IP
  6. Tillio67

Tillio67 Member

Best Answers:
    My Windows OS crashed and my computer is superslow even though I formated it and brought it back to Factory settings (should be working smoothly nop ?). Any idea on what the problem might be ? Hard disk problem like his ?

Tillio67, Nov 9, 2012 IP
  7. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Tillio,

There's no way to tell from here (or anyone else's computer.) Could it be? Sure. That's what could have caused the OS to crash. OR it could be a bad fan, causing the CPU to run slower. Or any of a number of other things.

Rukbat, Nov 10, 2012 IP
  8. Mick2012

Mick2012 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I fix computers and it sounds like it's your hardrive. I would first turn off the computer. Open up the computer until you're able to see the hardrive itself. Turn on the computer and find where the noise is coming from. If the sound is coming from your hard drive then it's best to buy a new hard drive or a new computer if you can afford one.

Mick2012, Nov 10, 2012 IP
  9. nixau007

nixau007 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    try to remove some programs that you are not using. if it still having noise then you should a new harddisk before the current will get damage coz thats a sign that the part that spins the harddisk is to near be broken so you need to have a new one and transfer all your files from the old to new harddisk

nixau007, Nov 26, 2012 IP
  10. handsome guy

handsome guy Active Member

Best Answers:
    back up and buy a new hard disk...your hard disk will totally damage soon. i have same experience like you before..better back up your data.

handsome guy, Nov 26, 2012 IP
  11. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Having programs on the drive that you don't run doesn't cause any problem at all. EVERY SINGLE bit on the drive is either a 0 or a 1. It makes no difference to the drive whether that's random data, all 0s, all E5s or a program. Bits don't weigh anything.

Rukbat, Nov 26, 2012 IP
  12. alanmark

alanmark Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. At first check your HDD Data cable.
    2. How much capacity of your RAM
    3. Check your HDD partition and Reinstall windows another version.
    if not solve
    Then your HDD (rpm) problem.

alanmark, Dec 1, 2012 IP
  13. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    All those are good things to check, but none of them have anything to do with the drive making noise.

Rukbat, Dec 1, 2012 IP
  14. Quiver

Quiver Active Member

Best Answers:
    If your hard drive is making a loud noise that's never a good sign.
    sadly the cause could be a variety of reasons. Have you run a diagnostic?
    I believe windows has a built in hardware and software diagnostic tool. ;)

Quiver, Dec 4, 2012 IP
  15. piem.buru

piem.buru Peon

Best Answers:
    i think there is bad sector on your hard driver, please to use hieren's or similar software to fix it. Repair bad sector and try to re-install with new OS

piem.buru, Dec 4, 2012 IP
  16. smithrick

smithrick Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Any churning sound from the PC can be a warning towards drive problems, the first thing to do is anticipate a drive crash anytime and backup your files. If you haven't been running disk cleanups and checking fragmentation and if it has spread over the drive, especially with no free space left, that can explain the excessive activity and drive stress. You can also check out the fans.

smithrick, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  17. Afrasiab

Afrasiab Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Clicking and other type of noises are like indication regarding upcoming some bad situation regarding hard drive health. It is because of some logical errors, so immediately make back up of your data and contact technician or return it to the place from where you bought your system, if it is under warranty.

Afrasiab, Mar 4, 2013 IP
  18. sas_man

sas_man Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    yeah, its on its way out. best advice, backup everything worthy on it, and then get a replacement from online. newegg, amazon, ebay, etc are good places to starts. make sure it will fit your motherboard (SATA/IDE)

sas_man, Mar 20, 2013 IP
  19. Jaxon Massie

Jaxon Massie Peon

Best Answers:
    one of my friends had a problem that was similar to you and he could fix it up. He gave me this site after asking.
    www.computerwarehouseservices.com

Jaxon Massie, Mar 24, 2013 IP
  20. vol

vol Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    simply replace your hard

vol, Mar 24, 2013 IP