1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

hands down the best sports

Discussion in 'Sports' started by smashcash238, Jun 23, 2014.

hands down the best sports. no sport can compare to boxing/mma !!!!!!!!

smashcash238, Jun 23, 2014 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Whatever, I don't fancy getting my head bashed in so I prefer cycling - bmx, mtb and road.

sarahk, Jun 23, 2014 IP
  3. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    MMA is great in that you get to see what martial art is the best. If you only have a good stand up game you would get destroyed. You need to be very well rounded, have a wrestling background, etc.

Sports I really like are: Soccer, Rugby League, Tennis, and Cycling.

Besides the TDF I don't really watch much cycling though. It's not very spectator friendly much like poker I prefer being involved in the activity instead of watching it.

dcristo, Jun 23, 2014 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Are we talking watching or doing?
    To me, watching doesn't really count. If you can't and don't do the sport you really won't know what you're talking about.

sarahk, Jun 23, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have to answer by type of engagement:

Participating in: table tennis
    Watching on television: Summer Olympics Track and Field (swimming and diving, too)
    Watching the kids play: soccer
    Gambling on: Jai Alai

jrbiz, Jul 3, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  6. Droid82

Droid82 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    ROFL!!! Ditto! It's entertaining to watch but getting your ****s kicked takes away all the fun in that sport lol

Droid82, Oct 14, 2014 IP
  7. Marvin Cravens

Marvin Cravens Active Member

Best Answers:
    American Football and Basketball by far. You get to see amazing athleticism almost every play. Boxing and MMA is entertaining as well but not like Football and Basketball. Plus you can be a fan for life with a football and basketball team. You get to enjoy the good years when your team is on top and relish those good years even more after living through some or many bad years. Boxing and MMA fighters have a relatively small span to cheer for. All the Ali fans are still die hard but they can't watch a new Ali fight. Lakers fans have had their ups and downs but were able to watch a new game today (definitely a down).

Marvin Cravens, Oct 29, 2014 IP
  8. GirlfromIpanema

GirlfromIpanema Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Cycling, snowboarding and swimming

GirlfromIpanema, Oct 29, 2014 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I find that really interesting about professional sport - how a company still gets ardent support even when their product is sub-standard.

What sports do you actually play?

sarahk, Oct 29, 2014 IP
    Digital Noise likes this.
  10. Marvin Cravens

Best Answers:
    That is a good point. A lot of times I think it has to do with the home town pride or in state pride. The professional team represents a large metropolitan area or even a state and that gives a type of ownership to the people of that city or state and they just continue to root for the home team good or bad.
    As for me I played football, basketball, tennis, and ran track in high school. I played a year of football in college but now I usually just play some basketball or go surf when time permits.
    Do you play any sports?

Marvin Cravens, Oct 30, 2014 IP
    Digital Noise likes this.
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    yeah, I do lots of road cycling and mountain biking as well as a bit of running for the cardio. I race BMX too but backing off from that a bit this summer. I love competing even when I'm outclassed. I surfed too when I was in my 20s and made it to California for a huge comp - came 3rd. Surfed in Cornwall too but found it all too hard when I was doing my OE in London and discovered that throwing yourself down mountains on a bike gave the same kind of adrenalin rush that you get from throwing yourself down the face of huge waves.

As for the team loyalty thing - we get the american style "win or lose, we still support" shoved down our throats and I figure if the management company need to tell you how to feel then they're not doing their job very well. The coaches don't necessarily come from the region, the players don't necessarily come from the region and the profits certainly don't stay. It seems it would be more appropriate to support the team with the players you admire, the management team who support them well. I know that won't happen because people get sucked into the hype and don't actually question who they give their loyalty to and whether they deserve that loyalty.

sarahk, Oct 30, 2014 IP
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have often wondered about this myself and my conclusion is that it is simply a continuation of the "home town" cheering that goes on in high school sports. In high school sports, it is your friends and neighbors that are competing against "strangers" from other towns, so the loyalty to a sports team is localized and based upon reasonable principles. That all goes away with college and professional sports, but the majority of fans continue to root for the "local team" out of habit, I believe. That said, there is always a percentage of people who do not root for the "home team" and they are viewed as "traitors" by the loyal base. Being in New England, I put up with the diehard Red Sox, Patriots, Bruins and Celtics fans all of the time. As a guy who does not really follow professional sports and has no team favorites in any of them, I am viewed as a real anomaly that no one knows how to deal with. I cannot be shamed or talked into depression when a local team loses and, likewise, I do not get excited when a home team wins.

What I have never understood is how joyful or despairing some grown adults get over the results of a particular professional sports game that has NO effect on their lives. I have seen grown men come into work mad as hell the next day after a loss and let it affect their mood for many hours or days beyond that. I will ask them: "Has this cost you money or hurt your family or caused anything of significance to happen to you personally?" I ask the same question to people who are buoyed by a "big win." Silly, if you ask me.

I briefly watched the end of a rugby game last night between NZ Black and some sort of U.S. team that was put together quickly to "compete" with the NZ team which is on tour. The U.S. lost 72 to 6 or something like that. I found myself enjoying the advanced play of the NZ team (they were obviously professionals playing against amateurs) and the spunk of the U.S. team that kept trying, despite being outclassed. I think that both teams "won" this exhibition. But I suspect my attitude would be viewed as "traitorous" to some fellow citizens here.

jrbiz, Nov 2, 2014 IP
    Digital Noise and sarahk like this.
  13. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It's a huge PR stunt and we've had it rammed down our throats that "golly gosh, the PR marketing machine has actually been able to generate some useful photo ops". We don't seem to realise that if the US starts playing that we'll probably never be the top country again - simple maths says that a population of 4 million can't produce the same talent that the US can. On the other hand, our washed up players head to France, Italy and Japan to cash in. Add the US to that and there will be, in the short term, a lot more players able to extend their playing careers.

sarahk, Nov 2, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  14. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I would not worry too much about the next 20 years or so. Look at how long the U.S. has had both college and professional soccer teams and they still are not really of the same caliber as the top teams in the world. U.S. football, baseball, basketball, and hockey will continue to get the bulk of the athletic talent in the U.S. Hard for any "new" sport to compete with them.

jrbiz, Nov 2, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  15. seo_princess

seo_princess Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i think jogging with rope jumping good these days in winter

seo_princess, Nov 5, 2014 IP
  16. Marvin Cravens

Best Answers:
    jrbiz I see your point that the US has little success with soccer but it's success or lack thereof has more to do with soccer and rugby not being nearly as popular nor profitable. I agree with sarahk that if the US population did focus on rugby the way we focus on American Football and Basketball, and rugby was as profitable, then the US would dominate. I would have to add on to sarahk's comment that not only the much larger population of the US over NZ, but the capital investment that Americans put into their sports greatly outmatches most other if not all other countries.

Marvin Cravens, Nov 6, 2014 IP
  17. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    That was my intended point when I commented that the four traditional American sports get all of the talent. It is because of the popularity, money, and attention paid to those sports, of course.

jrbiz, Nov 6, 2014 IP
  18. Marvin Cravens

Best Answers:
    Ah, yes, I can see that now. Sorry about arguing your point with the same point.
    Rugby is gaining a lot more traction here in Hawaii as well as the state of Utah in the US. It is really popular amongst Polynesians. When I was in high school back in the mid 90's here in Hawaii rugby was a sport that most of our fathers and uncles played, but we played football. Now my high school has a rugby team and it has gotten really big here in the Hawaiian islands. So maybe it will only take the US 15 years for Rugby? :)

Marvin Cravens, Nov 6, 2014 IP
  19. Digital Noise

Digital Noise Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is an interesting thread, but being a marketer at heart I found @sarahk's comment of strong customer loyalty to substandard products fascinating. You do see this loyalty in the commercialized product industry (ahem...Apple), but I don't think it is a strong as a sports team. Having grown up in Denver and lived in Pittsburgh, two dominant football towns, I've watched fan loyalty even when the teams played consistently bad.

Even more intriguing (and quite sad) is the deep devotion fans have when the star players are dubious or criminal. When Ben Roethlisberger (Pittsburgh's quarterback) had charges of rape brought against him I was blown away the way people would defend such actions. They had no connection to the alleged victim, but had somehow created a strong fictitious connection with Rethlisberger to come to his defense about such horrible actions. I am sure if it was their daughter or sister they would feel differently. I would be interested to see if this was also the case with Oscar Pistorious's fans in South Africa.

These reactions even seem more ludicrous when you consider @jrbiz's comment about how fan loyalty is created even though there is no true financial impact on the fan (mostly). If you could create this sort of customer loyalty in a commercial product or service you could take over the world! Oh, wait, is that Google's and Facebook's plan Ü.

Digital Noise, Nov 7, 2014 IP
    sarahk and jrbiz like this.
  20. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You know, I think that U.S. soccer is growing in popularity a bit, but it has been a looong haul. I had a friend who became a pro soccer player in the league that was around in the 1970's. Not sure how far they made it into the 1980's before closing up shop. Recently there has been a professional soccer league around for a while and the local team (New England Revolution) plays in Gillette Stadium (when the Patriots are not using it, of course) and their games are broadcast on a local cable sports channel. The team and the league seem to be profitable. So some progress has been made over the past 40 years, but not a lot.

So, I really don't know how long it would take Rugby to become a mainstream U.S. sport. Lacrosse is another potential up and comer and it is a native sport that has gotten some traction in the past 20 years or so. One of my current sales reps is a former professional Lacrosse player. He also played at Yale. There was a World Championship or something like that in June in Colorado that he had planned to participate in his age bracket, but it did not work out.

jrbiz, Nov 7, 2014 IP