1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hacker Warning: Can Someone Help?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Fem, Jun 18, 2011.

I received a warning message from a hacker that he will hack the Wi-Fi password of my office network and will forward the domain of our freelance business to some unwanted places.

Can anyone please tell me what to do?

Fem, Jun 18, 2011 IP
  2. phpSiteMinder

phpSiteMinder Peon

Best Answers:
    Turn off wifi.
    Change your SSID and set your wifi device to not broadcast the SSID
    Make sure you are using WPA2 encryption with a secure (unguessable) password (eg lots of special characters like !^*, numbers and digits) and turn it back on.

phpSiteMinder, Jun 18, 2011 IP
  3. Fem

Fem Active Member

Best Answers:
    Lotsa thanks for the quick response! What should I do to protect my domain from being forwarded to somewhere else?

Fem, Jun 18, 2011 IP
  4. arcademan

arcademan Active Member

Best Answers:
    If he has no control of your domain you are safe. Also remember that some threats are hollow :)

arcademan, Jun 18, 2011 IP
  5. stardust.x7

stardust.x7 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just lock the domain and protect your registrant contact information being tracked with privacy protection. Then change your password at domain control panel and use different password for your email account. Security question change is highly appreciated. Thats it, nothing to worry about :)

stardust.x7, Jun 18, 2011 IP
  6. Globalp

Globalp Peon

Best Answers:
    You can make your wifi mac address authorized. Every device has a individual ID called a mac address. Usually posted somewhere on a label for laptops, usually found on the bottom, You can also find it on the computer its self. Its pretty simple to set up, just google it and this really protects your network.

Globalp, Jun 18, 2011 IP
  7. Fem

Fem Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the very helpful info. Although I already had privacy protection ON at my domain registrar, the password had been the same for the last 2 years. Just changed it all, along with the email password.

Fem, Jun 19, 2011 IP
  8. Fem

Fem Active Member

Best Answers:
    Haven't heard about this thing earlier, but I would surely be trying it! Thanks!

Fem, Jun 19, 2011 IP
  9. SGeek

SGeek Active Member

Best Answers:
    Make sure your on sites with ssl makes it more complicated all the other advice on here is really good as well..

SGeek, Jun 30, 2011 IP
  10. raffo77

raffo77 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Use always SSL when browse the site but SSL can be crack so use a SSH Tunnel with RSA key at 4096 bit, it's easy to make and use.
    Wireless are very vulnerable! WEP are too easy... i can crack in a second.. WPA are also easy. WPA2 are more difficult because it need more time to crack it but can be cracked anyway.
    Use WPA2-Enterprise with RADIUS authentification, hide your BSSID and inside the wireless use a OpenVPN network. This hacker will never hack you ;)
    Because you have too many high encription method and if you configure a IDS ( Intrusion Detection System) system will alert you that have an intrusion in one of this layer of security.
    So yo can block it and fix the issue.

Of course you need also some others tips to make network and computers secure..
    You can also crypt the files, the disk and the filesystem with keys.. but maybe will be too paranoic..

The important is you know what happen in your network so any monitoring software will be very usefull for you.

raffo77, Jun 30, 2011 IP
  11. MikeLugar

MikeLugar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This should be an easy thing to protect. Change your wifi passphrase, use wpa2, use a passphrase that's random characters, numbers, and special characters. Take a look at my most recent blog post for more info.

MikeLugar, Aug 22, 2011 IP
  12. Tanya Roberts

Tanya Roberts Active Member

Best Answers:
    You definitely need to try this as told by Globalp.. I have been using i on my Router.

Tanya Roberts, Aug 27, 2011 IP
  13. crazyblogger

crazyblogger Active Member

Best Answers:
    Use WPA2 encryption and change password to something like "ss0D354YTE2347GG" and make sure you password is not a word that can be found on dictionary or can be easily guessed. Till now, I think no one has cracked WPA2 encryption. So, you should be safe.

crazyblogger, Aug 27, 2011 IP