1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

h1 h2 vers font size 6 or 7

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by vagrant, Aug 7, 2004.

does anyone know of any tests that have been done to check how H1 H2 comper to font size 6 or 7 ?

I find personally font size 6 (or 7) in bold tends to do better ranking wise in google but have never done an extended test, its just what i have noticed from tinkering.

putting a link to the page at the bottom using a large bold font using the keywords also i have found helpful to some extent

all that said i am a beginer so bow to your experiance :)

vagrant, Aug 7, 2004 IP
  2. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you give us an URL for a page where you have done this? There has always been some debate about whether or not bold is as effective as <h> tags for the SEOs. It has always been my belief thet <h> tags were better.

Now I'm sure you know that you don't have to let the <h> tag control the appearance or size of the text. So if you think that size 6 or 7 font is important why don't you try using <h> tags rather than <b> and then set the font size to 6 or 7.

<h1><font=size"6">Text</font></h1> for instance. I think this might be more effective than your bold option, if as you speculate, the SEs give any value to font size.

compar, Aug 7, 2004 IP
  3. nohaber

nohaber Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't understand this strange fixation on header tags. Google simply wants to know the font size. What the visitors sees is what matters. Visitors don't care about your tags, they spot bigger and bolder fonts + capitalized text easier.

So, bigger and bolder text gets more weight. Font Size 6 and 7 will be at least as good for SEO as the header tags. The problem with header tags is, how google's parser will interpret them because google does not read external css files.

Font tags guarantee that the parser will write the keywords as big font text in the index. Header tags do not guarantee that.

SEO tests are meaningless. Under different circumstances Google might interpret header tags font size differently.

I still prefer to use external CSS for the easy of updating my site. I still use font tags in some cases.

If the keywords are competitive, these on page factors won't have much of an influence. For the competitive keywords it is PageRank, anchor text hits + LocalRank that decides the winner.

nohaber, Aug 7, 2004 IP
  4. KeepItSimple

KeepItSimple Peon

Best Answers:
    nohaber, are you sure about that? I have no <font> tags on my <h>, they are all in an external CSS. However, the "cached text" in the Google cached pages shows the same style and font size as the real page. So I figure the Google spider is seeing the same as the human visitor in this case, even if there is no inline <font> etc. But maybe I am wrong...

I would like to clarify this, so any input is greatly appreciated.

KeepItSimple, Aug 9, 2004 IP
  5. nohaber

Best Answers:
    The cached page still uses the css file from your site and you see the same design. The cached text only version does not use the css file and the design changes.

nohaber, Aug 9, 2004 IP
  6. KeepItSimple

KeepItSimple Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah, I think I get it now. What I see in the cached text version is the standard <h> HTML font type and style. That explains it :)

Do you think there is anything gained from adding appropriate <font size> and <b> tags in the <h> tag in terms of ranking?

KeepItSimple, Aug 9, 2004 IP
  7. nohaber

Best Answers:
    Well, it depends on how Google's parser interprets H-tags. The h-tags might be written as plain text instead of big bold one. That shouldn't matter SEO-wise, because for most queries on page optimization does not make a decent difference. There are 3 main ranking components: PageRank, IR Score and LocalRank. The IR Score is made up from the on page and anchor hits. You can't have too much on the page, so most of the IR score comes from the anchor text and the title tag. I'll be writing an article on this soon. If you want to really understand it, read the original google paper: The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Web Search Engine
    LocalRank is explained in this patent: Ranking search results by reranking the results based on local inter-connectivity

nohaber, Aug 9, 2004 IP
  8. KeepItSimple

KeepItSimple Peon

Best Answers:
    nohaber, thank you very much, this is very helpfull to me. A couple of the other articles on your site looks interesting too. I think I will have enough material for my upcomming vacantion :)

KeepItSimple, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  9. mrpaisa

mrpaisa Guest

Best Answers:
    h1,h2,h3.......h6 tag used for font size
    h1 used for small heading & in the same way h6..h7 used for large font size or big element....

mrpaisa, Jan 17, 2010 IP
  10. forum_posting

forum_posting Peon

Best Answers:
    If you put H1 tags on your main keywords, it will benefit as far as seo is concerned.

forum_posting, Mar 8, 2010 IP