1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Guide to Selling Safely via PayPal

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by Helvetii, Oct 13, 2009.

Hi,

It's high time we start filling the treasure chest with something other than chit-chat. What I am posting may not count as treasure, probably you all would already know much of it but I'll post it for the benefit of those who are new to selling digital goods with paypal.

It's a general myth that Paypal always favors buyers, especially with digital goods. In reality Paypal is impartial and if you follow good selling practices you'll always be safe ;)

1. Always Have a BIN button.
    Don't accept payments via the "Send Money" function. It's always safe to give buyer a BIN link to pay from. If you are accepting payments for articles or anything with requires custom quotes create a BIN button, it takes just a few seconds.
    Reason: When you accept Payments directly, you'll always meet smart-asses who send money for "goods" and include their shipping address. Later if they open a dispute you will have to provide tracking information which you obviously wouldn't have. While creating the BIN button you have the option to not accept shipping address ;)

2. Protect Yourself from unauthorized payments.
    If you are sending your digital goods via E-mail, insist on sending it only to the primary Paypal ID. If the buyers asks you to send it elsewhere expect something fishy.

• Always be careful when you receive a high amount from an unverified PayPal account
    • Be alert for unusual buyer requests, for example, buyers who want
      a rush delivery at any cost or buyers who send partial payments from
      different PayPal accounts.

What to do when you have disputes?​

(These points only apply to Non-Ebay transactions and if you followed the points above)

1. Not as Described Dispute: For a Non Ebay Item you cannot lose this kind of dispute, so if you believe that the buyer claim is fraudulent/unreasonable or if you can't agree on a resolution but have your funds on temporary hold, then escalate this dispute to a claim. You'll win it instantly.
    2. Item not received dispute: If you haven't sent the item yet then send it and escalate it to a claim immediately. Do the Same if its already sent. Just tell Paypal that the payment was for a digital item which has been delivered via E-mail. Most of the time paypal will decide in your favor within a month.
    3. Unauthorized Dispute: Action Depends on situations. There's rule of thumb when dealing with such disputes.

Thats all I could think of now, I'll probably add more later. If you have any Questions regarding Paypal (as buyer or seller) post here and I'll try to help :)

Regards,
    Helvetii

Helvetii, Oct 13, 2009 IP
    Bohra, tattoos and merlinseo like this.
  2. HJITechnologiesLLC

HJITechnologiesLLC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the great article. :)

HJITechnologiesLLC, Oct 13, 2009 IP
  3. SCLocal

SCLocal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Great suggestions for a safe paypal experience. The only thing that I would add is that when selling never send payment as 'personal.' If you're dealing with B/S/T or any paypal transactions you'll probably get someone trying to avoid the paypal fees and asking you to send payment via the 'personal' option. This is fine for people you know, but once payment is sent using this option it is near impossible to dispute the payment. I learned the hard way.

SCLocal, Oct 15, 2009 IP
  4. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This guide was actually for sellers. From a seller POV I usually ask for a "personal payment" whenever I deal with less trustable buyers.

Helvetii, Oct 15, 2009 IP
  5. Digital_shubhi

Digital_shubhi Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Thats a good one ! :)
    I was not knowing about it ! :eek:

- Digital -

Digital_shubhi, Oct 16, 2009 IP
  6. SIVAJI

SIVAJI Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What do you meant by BIN button ? Do you want me to create a button using html . ?

SIVAJI, Oct 16, 2009 IP
  7. HJITechnologiesLLC

HJITechnologiesLLC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    BIN button you can obtain from Paypal.

HJITechnologiesLLC, Oct 16, 2009 IP
  8. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Go to Profile > My Saved Buttons

Helvetii, Oct 16, 2009 IP
  9. Scriptona

Scriptona Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'll suggest some more that I follow myself and have been chargeback free for 2 years.

1- When sending money, always select "Goods" option. So if the seller doesn't deliver you can say you paid for mp3 / mobile phone or anything that fits the amount you sent. obviously the seller will not be able to provide tracking number and you get your money back. looks unethical but you do it to protect yourself please don't abuse it or paypal will flag your account when you launch too many chargebacks.

2- When receiving money, Try to use a service that has fraud detection, this helps decreasing and maybe killing all fraud at once. WHMCS.com is a billing system who has a built in support for maxmind fraud detection services including proxy detection and address verification and free email detector. You can also use plimus.com to receive payments for digital goods since they do fraud screening (didn't try them before though)

Scriptona, Oct 20, 2009 IP
    Cameljourney likes this.
  10. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Plimus causes a lot of inconvinience to buyers. They take 4 hours on an average to send the download link. Sometimes they call the buyer too not to forget that their payment form is enough to freak many people out.

Helvetii, Oct 20, 2009 IP
  11. Scriptona

Scriptona Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As I said, I never used them. I stick to my in-house solution which is whmcs with the help of maxmind fraud detection module. I'd recommend this combination for anyone willing to sell digital products.

Scriptona, Oct 20, 2009 IP
  12. Cameljourney

Cameljourney Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What about e-junkie?? anyone try it??

Cameljourney, Oct 20, 2009 IP
    Scriptona likes this.
  13. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    E-junkie is not a payment processor. It only provides shopping cart, download management etc. features.

Say if you want to sell an E-book, E-junkie will direct your customer to paypal, google checkout, Authorize.Net, TrialPay, ClickBank and 2CheckOut, whichever you choose. The customer will pay and then after getting confirmation from the payment processor they send them a download link. You choose how many downloads are allowed from one link or the life of the each link.

You can find more details here: http://www.e-junkie.com/ej/features.htm

Fees are just $5/month with no per transaction fees. :)

Helvetii, Oct 21, 2009 IP
  14. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I found some good resource on how to prevent unauthorized disputes, so I'm sharing it with you all.

Helvetii, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  15. VouchersGG

VouchersGG Peon

Best Answers:
    some thing,pp limited will del your account
    why..who can tell me

VouchersGG, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  16. dojimonster

dojimonster Active Member

Best Answers:
    the only thing i can say about paypal is that a bunch of monkeys are running the company....i got disputes too many times....

dojimonster, Oct 31, 2009 IP
  17. robyries

robyries Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    that would be nice if any picture include for this usefull tutorial,...

thank any way.

robyries, Oct 31, 2009 IP
  18. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Lol, what pictures do you want? Everything's simple. Just ask if you have any problems :)

Helvetii, Oct 31, 2009 IP
  19. robyries

robyries Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I wondering where is BIN button, i searching it but cant find it, is in merchandise or in somewhere else,... :D

robyries, Oct 31, 2009 IP
  20. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Helvetii, Oct 31, 2009 IP