1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

[Guidance Needed] Monetizing Informational Websites

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by JohnJ, Aug 10, 2017.

I'm interested in learning about monetizing informational websites. I'm not 100% sure what you even call this type of website, but I'd like to give you an example so that you can possibly help me with terminology and general knowledge.

Example:
    SEMrush
    You create a website that educates users on diabetes; you talk about the signs and symptoms of diabetes and how the disease is managed. You monetize the website via referral ads for products your users may benefit from (i.e. diabetic compression socks, glucometers, etc.)

Of course, this doesn't have to be medical. It could be a website about running, flying drones, or anything else you think could be marketable.

My Questions:

1. What is this type of marketing/monetization called?
    2. How profitable can it be?
    3. What is a good, light-weight platform for creating and managing your website(s)? Note: I can design and code the websites myself, in case that makes a difference.
    4. Are there any good resources for someone who is looking to start out in this area?

Thanks, guys!

JohnJ, Aug 10, 2017 IP
    SEMrush
  2. DanielBlue

DanielBlue Banned

Best Answers:
    If you promote other peoples stuff than it's called affiliate marketing.

It can be very profitable but it needs time to create the content. If you go for free traffic you need some time to do all your SEO. If using paid traffic that will be faster.

Sure, you can code the pages yourself, but how long will this take? When do you want to start? I mostly use wordpress but there are many other solutions so I cannot really answer this. Maybe do a search on youtube for “best cms” or similar.

-There are tons of videos on youtube
    -Much information right here in this forum
    -And google is your friend:)

DanielBlue, Aug 10, 2017 IP
    jerytohn likes this.
  3. Spartan14

Spartan14 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    What i would do its i would create a free report about diabtes and give it to people when they put theyr email on an optin form .Then i would start to build a good relation with my subscribers and from time to time i would make promotion of some affiliate products

Spartan14, Aug 11, 2017 IP
  4. bluebenz

bluebenz Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am not sure about now, but about 10 years ago I start to do affiliate marketing with Ebay (I think it the easier way).
    The rest is about marketing..

Go on, it very profitable depending how much do you want to spend time, money, effort to do content and marketing..

bluebenz, Aug 11, 2017 IP
  5. DavidFeldman

DavidFeldman Peon

Best Answers:
    Use WordPress for sure, and Google about affiliate marketing. If you can get traffic, you can get sales...

DavidFeldman, Aug 13, 2017 IP
  6. DylanC

DylanC Member

Best Answers:
    I believe a combination of Adsense, affiliate marketing and email marketing should be good for monetizing. From what I understand, it can be very profitable. Best way is to check some of the similar sites to what you want to build and see what they've been sold for, for instance on marketplaces like Flippa etc.

DylanC, Sep 12, 2017 IP
    jerytohn likes this.