1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Guidance needed for my new Online Business

Discussion in 'Websites' started by PuffyBlog, May 27, 2017.

Hey all,

I have created a new website, which basically is a DVD and Bluray subscription company, we have just 1 member at the moment and he has been with us for the last month and is still happy, I just wanted someone to look over the website and see whats going right and where I am going wrong if you would be so kind?

I do want a bigger customer base, and with this niche market (especially in the UK) I would have thought this would have been more popular than it currently is.

Oh the website is - https://www.dvdlocker.co.uk

Thanks, hope to hear feedback off you all soon.

Scott

PuffyBlog, May 27, 2017 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    wow, that's a blast from the past. My mum used to have a subscription to a service called fatso - similar pricing, more plans to choose from.

My main concern for your business is that dvd and bluray rental is a dying industry. I'm not even sure our dvd player is still connected properly or where the remote is. With Netflix and Neon and the other online services you are fighting for market share in a dying niche. Now, oldies might still be into dvds so you may get enough business to make it work, and the UK has a huge population, but I'd be wanting to get a mentor who can go through your business thoroughly to ensure that you aren't spending more time and money than you can recoup.

As for what your site offers

upload_2017-5-28_12-6-9.png

Your pricing plan doesn't mention anything about picking a box - and that's a big, big problem. I went back and looked at "how it works" and realised that, because I'd been a user of a different service, I'd expected that matching system to still let me select from your recommendations. There's no f'ing way I'd be having someone else deciding what I'm going to watch.

upload_2017-5-28_12-7-8.png

This would be the #1 reason why your business will fail.
    So you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. You need to generate enough investment money to allow you to buy a dvd library that will offer your subscribers enough of a range that they can select & request the titles they want. Without that, you are unlikely to get enough subscribers to be viable. But an investor will be hard to find with a business plan for a dying niche.

sarahk, May 27, 2017 IP
  3. PuffyBlog

PuffyBlog Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your feedback - all your comments I have taken onboard, well when a customer joins they then fill out a film questionnaire - from these choices we would then send what should be to your likes if that makes sense?
    In regards to the Fatso - I will check this out,

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2017
    PuffyBlog, May 28, 2017 IP
  4. DVDLOCKER_SCOTT

DVDLOCKER_SCOTT Banned

Best Answers:
    Hey all,

Was wondering if someone could take a look at my website - https://www.dvdlocker.co.uk

I won't explain what I am - I am hoping you will be able to find that out when you click on my website, thanks all !

Would love feedback both good and bad..

:)

DVDLOCKER_SCOTT, Aug 5, 2017 IP
  5. vitaldon

vitaldon Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

What about to add on the front page of your website somewhere in the upper left corner or in the middle of the page the brief, detailed and concisely presented description of your service?

Thank you.

vitaldon, Aug 9, 2017 IP
  6. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I like the domain name...
    DVDLocker.com is forsale...
    if you were serious, you should try to get
    the dot.com version....

overall, I am not sure what kind of chance you have since the movie
    industry is very competive, and movies can be gotten anywhere from
    ebay to amazon, and can even find them in my local convenience store.

You are not really bringing anything new to the marketplace....

and whats worse is that movies change all that time, what you have listed
    this month, maybe out dated by next month....

Personally, if i was into this niche, I would try to get dvdlocker.com
    and setup some type of amazon/affiliate site...

dscurlock, Aug 9, 2017 IP
  7. Lethal Marketer

Lethal Marketer Peon

Best Answers:
    When I saw this this post I was like "wow what great idea" until I realized you sell hard copies, why not sell online and make people have an account and pay that $3,99 a month for streaming and downloading, it would be great if I could type the movie that I want and save it into my favorite section and either download it or stream it, because there are a lot of movies I want to see again but I have to go through the trouble of downloading them again, what am trying to say is go DIGITAL, It wouldn't matter if the movie are old or not if its my favorite movie I would definitely want to watch it again and it would be very convenient if I could just type it and voila, my movie is served on laptop.

Lethal Marketer, Aug 9, 2017 IP
  8. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would imagine you would have to have very deep pockets in order to get into
    the movie franchise business of renting movies; if it is not legal, then it is illegal...

not sure how he deals with hard copies, they could be over-stock,
    wholesale, dropshipping, etc...

dscurlock, Aug 9, 2017 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    The big problem he had from his initial launch, and which is still in his business model, is that he decides who gets what based on his "matching" the user with whatever inventory he has. I'm not sure how many customers want to be told what to watch - unless he goes hardcore art house and finds those amazing, quirky movies (usually subtitled) that the main stream audience tends to overlook.

sarahk, Aug 9, 2017 IP
  10. MrKing01

MrKing01 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The dvd rental industry might be dying. But OP offers something special by allowing his customers to keep the dvd's. So it's a bit of rent and keep. I have looked at the site and my suggestion to OP would be to swap the dvd and blueray discs with covers of dvd's and blueray's in the "pricing" section. That would make the site more appealing for potential customers.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    MrKing01, Aug 17, 2017 IP