1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Great Merchant Account & Gateway

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by ViciousSummer, Sep 7, 2005.

I FINALLY found an affordable and reputable merchant account and gateway! I'm super picky and have been looking at all the different options for a year. I chose to go with MerchantPlus.com and so far they are EXCELLENT. There is no set up fee for the merchant account or gateway and the monthly/transaction fees are some of the lowest I've come across. (Here is their pricing). My account was set up very quickly and my websites were accepting credit card payment within a couple of days. I was 100% Paypal before, but it became too much of a pain in the ass for international orders. And I can already see that customers prefer to pay via credit card vs Paypal.

Just thought I'd share since I've seen so many "what is the best way to accept payment on my website" posts :D

ViciousSummer, Sep 7, 2005 IP
    dct likes this.
  2. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    Looks useful, to prevent me reading loads before finding out do you know if they are international, well UK?

dct, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  3. carowan

carowan Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info, I have been looking into getting a new merchant account/provider and this seems to be pretty good. It is cheaper than what I am paying now. They do the standard Amex/discover/MC/Visa right?

carowan, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  4. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Yes, they are a standard merchant account (visa, mc, amex, discover, etc) and are usable internationally. They also have a "virtual terminal" so you can process payment manually, which has proved useful as well. :)

ViciousSummer, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  5. mystikmedia

mystikmedia Jedi Master

Best Answers:
    Which gateway are you using? I have used many, but they all have some limitation. I am using authorize.net currently, but their fees are high, and I don't like the way you issue a refund with them. Also, many users do not receive their email receipts. The one I was the happiest with was LinkPoint, but they started having a lot of downtime, which is why I switched to Authorize.net. I may check back with them and see how things are looking there now.

mystikmedia, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  6. kokopelli

kokopelli Peon

Best Answers:
    Another cheap (and good) one is http://propay.com - they have no statement / gateway fees. See their pricing here

kokopelli, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  7. mystikmedia

mystikmedia Jedi Master

Best Answers:
    Well, it looked great until the end (really great), but the monthly limit wouldn't work. :-/

mystikmedia, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  8. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    The package I got from MerchantPlus is with Authorize.net as well.

ViciousSummer, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  9. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    What monthly limit (I looked but couldn't find it)? I guess that is something I should know!

ViciousSummer, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  10. Edz

Edz Peon

Best Answers:
    Question for ViciousSummer?

In connection to my interest with starting a business relation to a drop shipping company i am wondering... because i will also want to accept CC payments on my website... if there is any need to incorporate to be eligable for such a merchant account?

Have you set up your own corporation for this? in some sort of business form such as Ltd company formation or a Inc company formation?

Edz, Sep 9, 2005 IP
  11. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    You can be any sort of "business" to apply for a merchant account. I am a "sole proprietorship" for example. :)

ViciousSummer, Sep 9, 2005 IP
  12. Edz

Edz Peon

Best Answers:
    But a form of business registration is needed?...i presume a civilian without any chamber of commerce registration or company registration number is not accepted for a merchant account.

Edz, Sep 9, 2005 IP
  13. Cartman

Cartman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Does the merchant have any minimums that you need to hit, otherwise you get hit with additional fees?

Cartman, Sep 9, 2005 IP
  14. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    Of course. Banks are not going to hand out credit card processing ability to random individuals. Many banks require that your business has been established for a couple of years.

ViciousSummer, Sep 9, 2005 IP
  15. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Or you have a good credit rating. Most of them usally say they accept 98% of applications, so its easy to get in. If you have bad credit or no credit, expect them to hold funds for a while, or you may have to fax them invoices and shipping information for a while until they trust you. Getting a merchant account is easy....getting rid of it is a pain in the ass.

lorien1973, Sep 9, 2005 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  16. Edz

Edz Peon

Best Answers:

Yes thought so, i have seen quite some stories on the net about people opening merchant account's and they deliver it like they are going to do so... if it's nothing special.

So that maked me wonder a bit, thanks for the reply ViciousSummer and letting me know things aren't much different from here in The Netherlands.

Edz, Sep 10, 2005 IP
  17. briandunning

briandunning Active Member

Best Answers:
    I notice that they have a per-transaction fee, though (.25) - make sure you factor that in when looking at their discount rate. On a $15 transaction that adds an extra 1.7%.

briandunning, Sep 10, 2005 IP
  18. techbuzz

techbuzz Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank Vicious. I've been looking for an alternative to paypal / paypal pro. Wading through the thousands of merchant account sites (and resellers out there) is tedious work.

techbuzz, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  19. mddv

mddv Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    looks great thanks i will give them a try. the fees arent that high also.

Im currently 100% PayPal but this will enable more customers to process payments to me that are in countries that paypal dont support.

Cheers
    Martin

mddv, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  20. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    Tell me about it. I got fed up numerous times! :p

ViciousSummer, Sep 12, 2005 IP