1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Got some decent PR now what?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by donttrustthisposter, Oct 20, 2005.

So I finally got some pagerank :D , actually came up pretty nice on some niche directories as well. Now on my general directory free website directory it's only a PR3 but categories are not too filled and are all basically PR2's. So this raises questions;

1) Now can I get on those lists? Was it lack of PR why I was getting ignored before on my requests?
    2) I want to charge for sitewide links but would just get people on a bunch of PR2 pages. Can I charge $20 a month? $5? $1?
    3) I host a few sites on the same server at dreamhost does this mean it's useless to try to pass PR to myself due to it being on the same server or is that just a rumor? There are a lot of sites on shared hosts they can't pass PR?

Thanks.

donttrustthisposter, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  2. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    PageRank 4 starts to be worth something. You might be able to sell some sponsored listings for around $5 in your categories, and you'll probably be able to do a couple of sitewides for about $20/month.

You can pass some pagerank to your other sites, but there appears to be at least some reduction in strength when they are on the same c-class, but still some benefit.

dvduval, Oct 20, 2005 IP
    strtbykr likes this.
  3. donttrustthisposter

donttrustthisposter Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for that it really explains it well. I looked at some link brokers and got the same results that it starts with PR4 and traffic.

I did get a PR4 on a hip hop directory and since it's so themed I beleive I can start getting into selling links. I'm not looking into making a lot of money overnight but still trying to figure out how this all works and wanted to test it out.

donttrustthisposter, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  4. kams7ue

kams7ue Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with dvduval, PR4 is something to start with. 1 PR4 link is worth more than many PR3 links.

kams7ue, Oct 25, 2005 IP
  5. bwp58

bwp58 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi

Interesting thread. This is a basic question but since I dont know thought I should ask.

dvduval makes reference to a c-class link. Seen this reference before but dont know what it means. Would you mind explaining?

Thanks in advance
    Brian
    www.bestrealincome.com

bwp58, Oct 25, 2005 IP
  6. liwei

liwei Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow many riches with PR4 eh? I sold links on my PR6 established site for $150 a year, so perhaps this puts this into perspective for you.

liwei, Oct 25, 2005 IP
  7. mddv

mddv Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well the best thing would most probally keep accepting free submission until you get at least a PR4. So keep on getting more backlinks for the next google update.

Also don't charge by the month charge per submission.

Good luck

mddv, Oct 25, 2005 IP
  8. Merkersarl

Merkersarl Peon

Best Answers:
    Links from the same C block in your IP (AAA.BBB.CCC.000) aren't considered as valuable as links from different C blocks. The logic is that it's likely to be a link from one of your other sites rather than an independent third-party "vote" for your content.

Merkersarl, Oct 25, 2005 IP
  9. donttrustthisposter

donttrustthisposter Peon

Best Answers:
    So the theory is ithat it could be treated as an internal link? Or more of somewhere in between an internal link and an external?

donttrustthisposter, Oct 25, 2005 IP
  10. Knertified

Knertified Guest

Best Answers:
    Slightly OT:
    Wow, I was so wondering if search engines took that the C block into consideration yesterday. Thanks for answering my question :)

Knertified, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  11. lsblogs

lsblogs Peon

Best Answers:
    Anyone think it would be worthwile me considering having a paid for "faster" site review? Low cost, but at the moment all sites are reviewed free, and as the site grows, so does the number of submissions.

Used to be able to accept sites in a day, now I have a few hundred in the queue, and I deliberately only accept so many a day (for good reasons).

Toying with the idea of having a pay x dollars to get reviewed quicker option,
    with absolutely zero preference going to acccepting paid or non paid blogs.

(would make the system blind, so I dont know which ones are paid or not paid when I get to see them for review)

Would mean people in a hurry, could have the site checked within a day or two, and everyone else just waits until the queue reaches them.

It would also mean I would get some cash (as I dont make much from lsblogs, its mainly a hobby, but has potential to be a lot more.....) which I could reinvest to get more traffic, better hosting, better site design ect.
    At present its all written by me, tested by me, the whole lot by me, and its a pain not getting much for it, and pulling out money to keep it going, when I know it could do so much more..... But getting it do more means getting some funding, and a charge seems a good way to do it.

Any thoughts?

lsblogs, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  12. lsblogs

lsblogs Peon

Best Answers:
    for people that use directories a lot, you seem to be rather quiet in answering....

lsblogs, Nov 2, 2005 IP
  13. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Its because your question has nothing to do with this thread...You may want to repost it in the proper part of the forum

Cheers

yfs1, Nov 2, 2005 IP
  14. lsblogs

lsblogs Peon

Best Answers:
    But it was in a similar vein to the original post, so it is relevant.....

I could repost, but isnt it normal for a mod to move a post to a more suitable area, rather than for a poster to move a post, and cause duplication?

lsblogs, Nov 2, 2005 IP
  15. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    I'm just letting you know what will get you an answer....You can use the report a post feature if you would prefer to have it moved.

yfs1, Nov 2, 2005 IP