1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Got a new VPS however, Unsure how to set it all up (details enclosed)

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by chief91, Feb 21, 2012.

So I got a new VPS, I set up VHM VPS Optimized with it. I also have domains that are from 1and1. My question is regarding the rest of the setup.... I have 2 IP address however, I am unsure how to go about setting up the nameservers, etc. Would someone mind lending me a hand?

Feel free to PM me, or put your skype below and I will add you.

Thank you!

chief91, Feb 21, 2012 IP
  2. stach14

stach14 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds like you are in over your head. Even after the initial setup, there is lots that go into maintaining the VPS. Might want to consider switching to a managed VPS before your in too deep and let the techs handle the server and you can focus on your sites.

stach14, Feb 22, 2012 IP
  3. JPC-Sabrina

JPC-Sabrina Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest you look at a few videos on VPS setup and use. If your host doesn't provide support videos than I am sure you can gain more information than you need with a few basic YouTube videos. Start with a few simple step by step setup tutorials for VPS as your search and build on that basic knowledge. You may make a few initial errors in the beginning but over time it will become second nature.

JPC-Sabrina, Feb 22, 2012 IP
  4. RHS-Chris

RHS-Chris Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello there,

If you still need a hand with this, feel free to PM me, and I can get you set up. As stated prior though, there is a lot more than just the initial setup that goes into maintaining a server.

Chris

RHS-Chris, Feb 22, 2012 IP
  5. faria.royle

faria.royle Peon

Best Answers:
    You should first install some control panel like cPanel then you are ready to upload your websites, but If you don't know how to , then you might need to get some managed help.

faria.royle, Feb 22, 2012 IP
  6. phxadam

phxadam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Go back to reseller :p it will save you $ on licensing.

phxadam, Feb 27, 2012 IP
  7. SeriesN

SeriesN Peon

Best Answers:
    I will try to see if I can help,
    Assuming your are pure new to this server management thing, I will not give you any complicated suggestions like setting up vhosts and so on. If you can spend $15/mo get cpanel and i can write you a free noob safe guide. If you can't afford, install kloxo, follow the setup guides and you should be running fne. There are alot off free tutorial available online on how to setup stuffs for kloxo.
    Once you done the initial setup, install a good firewall like csf and try to harden while reding the instruction or ask a pro.
    Compile the recomended modules and drop what is not needed ( requires good server/linux knowledge to understand).
    Next thing you need to do is optimize the server , mysql and apache should be your main concern as of now. Do not follow random articles, talk to some one who knows. For the basic site , the default config is fine. Use apache instead of nginx as a default server to save the pain with basic cma.
    Now set your name servers from your domain register and give 24 hour. Setup your dns server fim kloxo. Create your initial account and you are good to go. Let us know if you need more help.
    /
    /->Nahian

SeriesN, Feb 28, 2012 IP
  8. WebHostingBuzz

WebHostingBuzz Member

Best Answers:
    Either that, or go with a hosting company that offers a higher grade of support and management services. Initial DNS/nameserver setup on a cPanel VPS only takes a couple of minutes.

WebHostingBuzz, Feb 29, 2012 IP