1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Got a Lot of forums

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by plot, Dec 21, 2007.

Hello Guys

I have developed different forums for different niche. I love developing forum and seeing a community grow but I am not good at promoting the community and without promotion the forum gets no where its potential. I would really approciate if you could guide me on how to actually promote a forum. I know one technique is to submit your link to different directories and get the word out. Currently I am trying to submit to as many directories as I can. Beside that are there any other technique that could be used to get guest start posting. I know for a fact the guest see the site but then they are not encouraged enough or the lack of activity in the forum was the reason they don't want to join

Here are some of my forums

www.desiconnect.net - Old forum but now dead
    www.justmobilez.com - Fairly new forum
    www.warez-forums.org - a Sharing Forum

plot, Dec 21, 2007 IP
  2. rcj662

rcj662 Guest

Best Answers:
    Try socail bookmark sites to get some new traffic.

rcj662, Dec 21, 2007 IP
  3. fattony69

fattony69 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have the same problem as you. I used to submit to directories all day long. My page rank shot up, but it didn't help my members and posts. I been doing the stumble exchanges, but I don't believe it works all so well. From what I witnessed, word of my mouth works the best.

fattony69, Dec 22, 2007 IP
  4. joebert

joebert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd probably try to sell the first one.

The second one looks like it has potential if you can accomidate mobile posting/browsing.

The last one you might as well forget having any sort of membership, everyone's afraid the RIAA is going to kick in their door these days.

joebert, Dec 22, 2007 IP
  5. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    I think you should try and narrow down these communities and rather focus on one insted, and invest time and efforts, add a blog, and constantly add new, unique content. Get a style, customize it for the members needs' and try to refer friends and relatives.

Meti

WatchOut, Dec 22, 2007 IP
  6. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Directories are nearly useless. They should be at the bottom of the list for forum promotion. At best you gain some Pagerank with directories submissions.

HINT: Concentrate solely on forum activity.

RectangleMan, Dec 22, 2007 IP
  7. ninjashoes

ninjashoes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    invite individuals to get started, talk to them and make it fun, try to provide good articles in threads that people might find interesting and find when they use google to search

ninjashoes, Dec 23, 2007 IP
  8. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    Define useless. Web Directories are a great way to promote any kind of web sites, however during these recent months there's been a huge number of web directories launched; making it harder to find true, quality directories.

However; I can assure you that there are several web directories that can provide you with traffic, for example, bidding directories are built in order to deliver traffic to their submitters.

Web directories can also help you in SERPs, meaning you may get extra help in order to achive keywords you would like to target. I could add much more information, but I believe there is no point taking this any further, as web directories are and will remain a great way to promote your site, think outside the box.

Meti

WatchOut, Dec 25, 2007 IP
  9. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    NEARLY useless...not entirely. I didn't say not to use them...they should however be very low on the priority list. Most good directories charge money. I can think of a lot of free promotions I can do well before paying for a link that will probably gain me very few members.

No not a great way at all...you own directories so it's obvious that your opinion is biased. btw...I own a couple directories too.

Oh..and Topsites running aardvark are better at promotion than directories. I actually get visitors from topsites. With directories the best you can hope for is some PR boost but since Google has clearly punished link sales directories have taken a huge PR hit.

RectangleMan, Dec 25, 2007 IP
  10. Lpspider

Lpspider Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try focusing on one forum instead of several.

Lpspider, Dec 25, 2007 IP
    Brandon Sheley and dtm like this.
  11. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't agree, also most web directories (including my own) charge for review fees which isin't the same as charging for a link. A review does not guarantee any inclusion; I have been extra careful with that, and made it very clear, I can only speak for my own directories, though.

I think you can say that my opinion is biased, however my posts are usually based on facts, and I can assure you all my statements are correct, I do not wish to sound biased, but I've managed forums and I manage directories, and I've seen a clear difference when a user submits to web directories, and when a user does not, you can especially tell from SE aspects.[/QUOTE]

See, that is where my and your opinion crash. Earlier you stated that you manage a web directory, and as a web directory owner you are probably aware of the time it takes to manage a web directory. All submissions have to go through a editorial process, and time doesn't come very cheap. I know several owners, including myself, that clearly charge for reviews. I've rejected lots of listings, and I will probably continue doing so, I wish to offer my users a collection of high standard listings, and not a collection of undesireable material and so on. Matt Cutt, himself has confirmed that web directories are fine, as long as there's editorial integrity you should have no issues. Sitewide links, and so on, that is what Google themselves are after, and as you probably are aware lots of directories were recently penalized, it was due to the reason that they were selling Pagerank links.

I am not sure on this issue, however I will still take this into consideration, when I had a PR increase on one of my web directories, I immediately jumped up on the SERPs, a massive move, and I am not much of a pagerank fan myself, I dislike their system but I don't mind, I invest my time on SE aspects, getting my site #1 for high competitive keywords, that's my goal.

Hope that helps,
    Meti

WatchOut, Dec 26, 2007 IP
  12. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I 2nd this one ;)

I'd rather have one active forum, Vs. 5 that are dead :D

Brandon Sheley, Dec 26, 2007 IP
    dtm likes this.
  13. plot

plot Active Member

Best Answers:
    The problem is not getting members to register. The forum easily get 10+ Registration per day. Its getting these members to start posting

plot, Dec 26, 2007 IP
  14. Libertate

Libertate Guest

Best Answers:
    Depending on the type of forum software there are several things you can do.

Limit registered but non-posting users to certain forums - disallowing them from viewing the more interesting forums/threads/posts.

Create web based unique tool, and provide access only to active members.

Create contests which involve posting, but not the primary focus, with prizes at end. For example, best product/service/tool review. Best tip. Best picture, best etc.

Libertate, Dec 26, 2007 IP
  15. ablaye

ablaye Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have the same problem.
    If you ever find out the solution, let me know.

ablaye, Dec 26, 2007 IP
  16. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    In order to get your members posting, you need to offer them something, preferably something unique. Community competitions are also a great way to increase the activity.

WatchOut, Dec 27, 2007 IP
  17. n-james

n-james Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    n-james, Dec 27, 2007 IP
  18. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ill post/mod one if you like, pm me!

peter_anderson, Dec 29, 2007 IP
  19. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    hehe...you mean that's where reality breaks from fantasy. You quoted me but didn't actually address me. My entire quote was based on the assumption that he wants activity and traffic at his forum. You address only pagerank and your "editorial review" process. That's so laughable...I bet you spend less than 30 seconds per review.

This thread is about forum activity. I am sure you are a directory pro but guess what...I am a forum pro. I build dozens...I am nearing the $xxx,xxx mark for total forum sales.

You also don't see that I don't discount directory submission but admit...it's pretty low on the list if you want forum traffic. Your idea is for him to make submissions (probably paid) then wait days, weeks, or months to get included (if they are accepted) and then wait for link juice to kick in and his PR to increase so he has better SERP position. Oh c'mon...you have to admit that's a slow burden of a process.

Well that's great...that's 1/2 the battle you have won. Now try and get at least 2-3 regulars to post like madmen. You may want to ask some active people to be moderators. This tends to get a members loyalty and increase their posting activity which in turn gets members active. Also consider contests that are geared to push posting. Anything you can think of to get members to post is worth trying.

When I start a forums I brain storm. I open a text document and start typing out my goals and ideas. Then I can open that file whenever I have free time and see what I can accomplish. And yes...you can add directory submission to that list...it won't hurt you.

RectangleMan, Dec 30, 2007 IP
  20. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    No, I do not spend less than 30 seconds per review, and regarding these thirty seconds if that was the time I was given to judge a site, how come many listings are pending, and you clearly stated below that you'll have to wait months in order to get an answer, however I usually go through the submissions daily, so that makes it easier and I usually don't let someone wait more than a week for an answer.

I know, there are other ways, better ways to drive the audience you wish to target, although you have to admit directories can do much more than "being useless", though I have to admit forums don't really use much of directory submissions, but it is always an addition for the SE aspects.

I think that is great that you are nearing that mark, I have managed quite a few forums in my past, some successful, some less. Although, I don't consider myself a "forum pro" I could pretty much give advice to any one else, because I've managed a few.
    I am sorry if I wasn't very clear, but directory submissions are good and should be taken into consideration, as for you, you own several (successful forums, I suppose) and that makes it much easier for you, as you basically can refer users from one forum to another, not saying I've tried this but should work.

Directory submissions shouldn't be considered top priority, for forums in this case, but definitely worth doing so, for the sake of SERPs and not pagerank.
    If the directory submissions weren't for any good use, I see no point in being listed on DMOZ, and several other large directories (qualitive ones...), but of course as you mentioned, I probably went off topic by referring to SEO and not a efficient way of increasing traffic. However; when a certain forum reaches a large size, I think that is when SEO comes to play ;)

Regards,
    Meti

WatchOut, Dec 30, 2007 IP